Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
edlong

Re: Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Post by edlong »

In the YEP the other day: The Omnibus in Belle Isle, which has been closed for a while is proposed to be demolished and replaced with (surprise, surprise) housing. There had been previous application(s) to convert the existing building to flats which was turned down.

Wiggy2

Post by Wiggy2 »

Tell them i'm back....

jim

Post by jim »

The wanderer returns? Good to have you aboard

tilly

Post by tilly »

I second jim. :D :D :D
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi all
past the white bear at tingley on friday,the demolition gang were hard at work.
regards
smi

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

When we lived in Beeston early 1960s we used to go to the New White Bear on a Friday night. apart from the extra half hour drinking time they had a great pianist in the long back room and as i fancied myself as Britain's next Sinatra it was perfect. The beer was Bentley's /Beverley's Brewery which was awful to me a Tetleys regular.
At that time the Old White Bear on the Wakefield Road was still there on the left hand side,
One evening about that time on our way to Wakefield i was driving somewhere in the vicinity of that Pub when i found myself in complete darkness. I drove on for a short distance and as i still could not see the Wakefield Road i stopped and got my pal Dennis to get out and guide me turning round. Some time later i discovered that this was a works contractors newly opened dirt road and that just a short distance from where i had stopped it was a sheer, very deep drop to to the, what was to be a section the M.62. Motorway.

Ossey911

Post by Ossey911 »

I heard yesterday that unfortunately Peter Lorimer's The Commercial has finally closed its doors for good.

Ossey

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I do seem to remember that this Pub. mainly did it's Trade at Lunchtimes as it was all Commercial ( no pun intended ) and Wholesale Businesses. The first Landlord i remember in there was Les Moon and after some years later he took a Tetley's Pub at Methley. Some time later i remember going in the Commercial when i heard he was the Landlord to buy him a drink.
The main reason for that was some years earlier I was in Partnership with Steve who like myself was a dedicated United fan. We were Carpet Fitters and it just happened that quite a few of the Players were getting Married and there was someone supplying their Carpets and we had the job of Fitting them into Brand new Houses ( mainly in the new Garforth Estates.) An added bonus was we could get Free Stand Tickets for home or Away Games as the Players are given some Free for friends and Relatives. The system was that the Players would not get them until an hour or so before a Match come andand then hand them out in the Carpark.
Steve and I worked hard, long hours Mon. to Friday, and that was it.
One of the Jobs was Fitting out Paul Madeleys new house at Rodley, and i have to say he was quite a surly sort but we did the job and that was that. On the Thursday he rang me and asked could we we come and fit a Bedroom carpet as United were leaving for London (i think ) and then it had been decided the team would stay and play a midweek game against Arsenal. I said "Sorry but we don't work on a Saturday" He really was pleading saying that his Wife was frighted of being all alone for nearly a week .and her Mother was coming to stay
I said O.k. but can you do me a Favour, as the game on a Tuesday night at Highbury, One of the few grounds we have not been to. Can you get me Three of the Tickets for the Game. He said "No Problem". We knew that it going to be hard to park so got there quite early. As the United Team Bus arrived and the United players were walking up the steps inside I saw Madelely and said "Paul, It's Jack, don't forget our Tickets" As he swept by he replied "Sorry There were None" I knew that was a Lie as we knew how the System worked Here we were an hour or so before the Kick of at a Sell out Match ( nearly 49,000 ) and all the Players by now had gone in. I asked Gary Sprake but he had relatives from Wales as that was the nearest they could get to see him play. Just then Peter Lorimer came out and was giving a couple of Tickets to Jim Storrie and another Scotch lad. Although i did not know Peter personally, my Brother Peter knew him and so i asked him if he could possibly get hold of Three more.
He replied he would try and sure enough a few minutes later he came out with them.
Although the game ended 0-0 United were unlucky not to have won it. Don't think we had time for more than one drink but we raised our glasses to Peter.
As for that Long Streak of P.ss it was a great shame that he had no further favours to ask.
Last edited by volvojack on Tue 16 Jan, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Ossey911 wrote:I heard yesterday that unfortunately Peter Lorimer's The Commercial has finally closed its doors for good.

Ossey
It's rumored on the internet that Peter Loimer is seriously ill with cancer
but reports have not appeared in the mainstream press that I am aware of.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

When i called into Peter's Pub with my Brother some years later for all that it was pretty obvious that most of the customers had called in to get a closer view of "The Legend" and he spent a fair bit of time signing his Autograph he never appeared to be big headed about himself.

Let's hope the this Rumour of his Illness is just that..

The Previous Landlord had been Les Moon and I think he moved out as Trade was not getting any better.
He took a Tetley's House "The United Kingdom" which was in Methley, Only the Pub sign was visible from the Road and it was situated down a Lane leading to the Railway. As far as I can recall it was at a dead end. It certainly was not long after as Les sometimes spoke out unwisely which in this case certainly was. It was during the Miners Strike and it seems he had said to a Customer "Them Lazy Buggers should get back to work" Considering it was a strong Miners area, there between Methley and Castleford it was extremely unwise. I called over on a Sunny Bank Holiday and was surprised to see no cars outside. There was no one in the Place 'cept Les and Me. He said "They have Boycotted the Place" Not quite sure but i think it was not long before he left.