The Inns and Pubs of Kirkgate

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
FLOJO
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 6:46 am

Postby FLOJO » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 10:10 am

hooley wrote:
Had a bit of a Kirgate 'pub crawl' on Friday. Duck and Drake was heaving and I had a mean pint of Leeds Best. Royal Oak was good, Mary still behind the bar, she must be about 300 now. Regent was.....ok. A lot of folk in leggings and I've got to say I wouldn't want to arm wrestle the men there... but £7.20 for four pints of Tetleys and a packet of crisps, I'm not complaining.

Hi Hooley you mention Mary is that the same Mary who worked at the pub opposite Littlewoods years ago? I can't remember the name, if it is she must be 300 years old.
Ex Leeds Lass
drapesy
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 4:50 pm

Postby drapesy » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 5:35 pm

The pic shows Church Row off Kirkgate - at one time the 'Royal Oak' and Thirteen Bells' were situated here.
Lots of updates to the pubs on page 1 of this thread- in particular
Closing dates for Mason's Arms/Black Boy/ Golden Cock/Thirteen Bells/Fox and Grapes/Scotsman /Crown and Fleece and lots of other info. Particularly interesting (I think!) entry for Scotsman (previously Scotsman Stores apparently) and the former Fox and Grapes being taken over by the 'Leeds Artizan's Club'(sic)
Still a bit of research to do - but I think I'm pretty close to completion,
Enjoy!
Attachments
__TFMF_0xwsjvetlrzuav55ph1fgric_25de84fa-f4ae-498f-98eb-69fa8b321f49_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0xwsjvetlrzuav55ph1fgric_25de84fa-f4ae-498f-98eb-69fa8b321f49_0_main.jpg (645.93 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 4:50 pm

Postby drapesy » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 5:38 pm

The entrance to The Old Royal Oak from New York Street.
Attachments
__TFMF_0xwsjvetlrzuav55ph1fgric_b291b38b-9c6d-46ed-b28d-7520b27450aa_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0xwsjvetlrzuav55ph1fgric_b291b38b-9c6d-46ed-b28d-7520b27450aa_0_main.jpg (726.62 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 4:50 pm

Postby drapesy » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 5:40 pm

The Old Royal Oak retains its outside toilet facilities - believe it or not!


[sorry for poor quality of pics - taken on a mobile phone camera]
Attachments
__TFMF_0xwsjvetlrzuav55ph1fgric_8ce9262d-8722-4d64-b5ef-adb2d52e9308_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0xwsjvetlrzuav55ph1fgric_8ce9262d-8722-4d64-b5ef-adb2d52e9308_0_main.jpg (463.72 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.


User avatar
cnosni
Site Admin
Posts: 4199
Joined: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 4:47 pm

Postby cnosni » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 11:32 pm

Keep going Steve,this is certainly a worthwhile project.

Have you any aspirations to use the research for a publication of some sort.

Something along those lines would be great for the Local Studies section at central library.
Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com
drapesy
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 4:50 pm

Postby drapesy » Fri 27 Feb, 2009 8:21 am

cnosni wrote:
Keep going Steve,this is certainly a worthwhile project.

Have you any aspirations to use the research for a publication of some sort.

Something along those lines would be great for the Local Studies section at central library.

I wouldn't rule it out - there have been a few 'Aspects of Leeds' publications recently, and similar, that I think would be suitable for an article.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Tasa
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 11:11 am

Postby Tasa » Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:08 am

drapesy wrote:
cnosni wrote:
Keep going Steve,this is certainly a worthwhile project.

Have you any aspirations to use the research for a publication of some sort.

Something along those lines would be great for the Local Studies section at central library.

I wouldn't rule it out - there have been a few 'Aspects of Leeds' publications recently, and similar, that I think would be suitable for an article.


Definitely, all the work you've put into this ought to be published, and being the original "centre" of Leeds, it's a fascinating history in its own right.

If you need any help with dates or research into individual pubs, I have access to online maps going back to the 1850s and the 19th century British Library newspapers. Drop me an email via flickr and I'll be glad to help out!
User avatar
cnosni
Site Admin
Posts: 4199
Joined: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 4:47 pm

Postby cnosni » Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:34 pm

Tasa wrote:
drapesy wrote:
cnosni wrote:
Keep going Steve,this is certainly a worthwhile project.

Have you any aspirations to use the research for a publication of some sort.

Something along those lines would be great for the Local Studies section at central library.

I wouldn't rule it out - there have been a few 'Aspects of Leeds' publications recently, and similar, that I think would be suitable for an article.


Definitely, all the work you've put into this ought to be published, and being the original "centre" of Leeds, it's a fascinating history in its own right.

If you need any help with dates or research into individual pubs, I have access to online maps going back to the 1850s and the 19th century British Library newspapers. Drop me an email via flickr and I'll be glad to help out!


Add me in Steve,im a dab hand at tracing individuals,in fact the Brougham Arms was run by a family by the name of Castelow,of whom a member of my family married into and eventually took up residence there.

Im pretty sure that there will be some interesting stories associated with the people who were in these pubs.
Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com

drapesy
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 4:50 pm

Postby drapesy » Sun 03 May, 2009 11:05 pm

Stop Press
Just found a photo on Leodis of the 'Buck' on the Corner of Briggate and Kirkgate (No 125 Briggate and 1 Kirkgate)- dated 1898. You can see a statue of a Buck above the door and the word 'Vaults' [VA...] at the extreme right.    
Attachments
__TFMF_f0mv1355i3plrz3u2d02m3fn_9e70d84f-ebc1-4a46-9c3e-69edec866815_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_f0mv1355i3plrz3u2d02m3fn_9e70d84f-ebc1-4a46-9c3e-69edec866815_0_main.jpg (55.29 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 4:50 pm

Postby drapesy » Sun 03 May, 2009 11:17 pm

Another Leodis pic with an even better shot of the 'Buck'
Attachments
__TFMF_f0mv1355i3plrz3u2d02m3fn_37d11386-9aa9-4dae-bf12-60933f25c819_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_f0mv1355i3plrz3u2d02m3fn_37d11386-9aa9-4dae-bf12-60933f25c819_0_main.jpg (114.84 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.


Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 3 and 0 guests