The Inns and Pubs of Kirkgate

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Si

Post by Si »

Drapesy, Do you know of any beerhouses (as opposed to licensed pubs) which may have traded on Kirkgate?I have a list of them (in Leeds) from the 1830s somewhere. I'll have a look. They don't have names (Red Lion, Black Bull, etc) though. Just the owner and basic address. Do you want me to add them on here, if there are any?Cheers,Si.

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

At what point did pubs become licenced, I've heard the term, "Under the magistrates" before now, I wonder if this could help when looking for pubs and brew houses that were in leeds.
I'll be back (arnie)

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: Drapesy, Do you know of any beerhouses (as opposed to licensed pubs) which may have traded on Kirkgate?I have a list of them (in Leeds) from the 1830s somewhere. I'll have a look. They don't have names (Red Lion, Black Bull, etc) though. Just the owner and basic address. Do you want me to add them on here, if there are any?Cheers,Si. Hi Si - No I dont have any info such about this - But I'd be very interested to see anything!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

OK, Drapesy.I've found:1837 Kirkgate beerhouses.Thos. Lengthorne, 29 Kirkgate.Matthew Shores, yd 45 Kirkgate.Thomas Selby, 82 Kirkgate.Samuel Hudson, 108 Kirkgate.Going by the numbering, are any of these in near our site?1837 Kirkgate pubs.Black Boy, Wm Dobbins, 128 Kirkgate.Brougham's Arms, Edw Castelow, 44 Kirkgate.Crown and Fleece, J Ainley, 3 Crown Street.Fox and Grapes, Jno Wood, 96 Kirkgate.Golden Cock, D Whitworth, 13 Kirkgate.Old Crown, Peter Reid, 74 Kirkgate.Old Nag's Head, T Walker, 56 Kirkgate.Phoenix, Henry Hord, 46 Kirkgate.Regent Inn, Wm Hodgson, 109 Kirkgate.Royal Oak, W Hardwick, 34 Kirkgate.There's also an (Old) Green Parrot at 19 Mill Hill, and two other Boot and Shoes, one in Wood Street, and one on Richmond Street, Bank (my great great grandad had this pub in the 1890s.)Thanks to White's Directory, 1837.Hope this is of interest.Si.

Si

Post by Si »

Mick_SGC wrote: At what point did pubs become licenced, I've heard the term, "Under the magistrates" before now, I wonder if this could help when looking for pubs and brew houses that were in leeds. Dunno, Mick, but according to White's Directory, there were hundreds more beerhouses than pubs in Leeds in 1837.The list is huge!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: OK, Drapesy.I've found:1837 Kirkgate beerhouses.Thos. Lengthorne, 29 Kirkgate.Matthew Shores, yd 45 Kirkgate.Thomas Selby, 82 Kirkgate.Samuel Hudson, 108 Kirkgate.Going by the numbering, are any of these in near our site?1837 Kirkgate pubs.Black Boy, Wm Dobbins, 128 Kirkgate.Brougham's Arms, Edw Castelow, 44 Kirkgate.Crown and Fleece, J Ainley, 3 Crown Street.Fox and Grapes, Jno Wood, 96 Kirkgate.Golden Cock, D Whitworth, 13 Kirkgate.Old Crown, Peter Reid, 74 Kirkgate.Old Nag's Head, T Walker, 56 Kirkgate.Phoenix, Henry Hord, 46 Kirkgate.Regent Inn, Wm Hodgson, 109 Kirkgate.Royal Oak, W Hardwick, 34 Kirkgate.There's also an (Old) Green Parrot at 19 Mill Hill, and two other Boot and Shoes, one in Wood Street, and one on Richmond Street, Bank (my great great grandad had this pub in the 1890s.)Thanks to White's Directory, 1837.Hope this is of interest.Si. Thanks for that Si - I wasn't aware of the 'Black Boy' - I'll update page 1 when I get chance.The entry for 108 Kirkgate is interesting as this is now a 'missing ' number -(see Mason's Arms and Regent entries on page 1) and adds weight to my idea that the 'Regent was originally 2 building.No45 would have been 'sandwiched' between the Brougham Arms and the Phoenix.I wonder if perhaps these beerhouses did have names - but they're just not given in the directory???
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

drapesy wrote: The "inviting" view of the Fox and Grapes Yard from Kirkgate.Situated between 96 and 97 KirkgateThe "open" sign refers to 'Girl Talk' massage parlour and sauna.    
biggee

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

drapesy wrote: The "inviting" view of the Fox and Grapes Yard from Kirkgate.Situated between 96 and 97 KirkgateThe "open" sign refers to 'Girl Talk' massage parlour and sauna.     When i was a young boy my Father had a market stall selling fruitand veg and used the fox and grapes yard, he had one of the old houses there at the top left side it had an old fire place in there it was old then but as you went into the yard through the arch they was an old fish and chip shop on the left it was the first buildingit brings back memories only one way in i remember through the arch, i wood love a photo of the old yard as it was
biggee

Si

Post by Si »

drapesy wrote: Si wrote: OK, Drapesy.I've found:1837 Kirkgate beerhouses.Thos. Lengthorne, 29 Kirkgate.Matthew Shores, yd 45 Kirkgate.Thomas Selby, 82 Kirkgate.Samuel Hudson, 108 Kirkgate.Going by the numbering, are any of these in near our site?1837 Kirkgate pubs.Black Boy, Wm Dobbins, 128 Kirkgate.Brougham's Arms, Edw Castelow, 44 Kirkgate.Crown and Fleece, J Ainley, 3 Crown Street.Fox and Grapes, Jno Wood, 96 Kirkgate.Golden Cock, D Whitworth, 13 Kirkgate.Old Crown, Peter Reid, 74 Kirkgate.Old Nag's Head, T Walker, 56 Kirkgate.Phoenix, Henry Hord, 46 Kirkgate.Regent Inn, Wm Hodgson, 109 Kirkgate.Royal Oak, W Hardwick, 34 Kirkgate.There's also an (Old) Green Parrot at 19 Mill Hill, and two other Boot and Shoes, one in Wood Street, and one on Richmond Street, Bank (my great great grandad had this pub in the 1890s.)Thanks to White's Directory, 1837.Hope this is of interest.Si. Thanks for that Si - I wasn't aware of the 'Black Boy' - I'll update page 1 when I get chance.The entry for 108 Kirkgate is interesting as this is now a 'missing ' number -(see Mason's Arms and Regent entries on page 1) and adds weight to my idea that the 'Regent was originally 2 building.No45 would have been 'sandwiched' between the Brougham Arms and the Phoenix.I wonder if perhaps these beerhouses did have names - but they're just not given in the directory??? Yes, it's interesting that The Regent may have been half pub - half beerhouse. Apparently, The Albion on Armley Road was originally split in two, one half being the pub, and the other a beerhouse. Simonm may be able to enlighten us, being an ex-mine host! As far as beerhouse names go, I wonder if they were just named after the owner, Whitelock's being a Leeds example (although a pub.) This tradition is common in Ireland, also.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

# Posted on: 09-May-2008 08:11:37.    Quote Si wrote: Yes, it's interesting that The Regent may have been half pub - half beerhouse. Apparently, The Albion on Armley Road was originally split in two, one half being the pub, and the other a beerhouse. Simonm may be able to enlighten us, being an ex-mine host! Yes, Ive heard this said about the Albion before - one half was the 'Fleece' the other the'Albion' at one time.