The Inns and Pubs of Kirkgate

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: drapesy wrote: A pic I found on Leodis taken from Call Lane. the Tetley sign at the far left is for the 'Mason's Arms and shows how much the pub extended round the corner - it was a big pub - unusually so for the city centre. Do you mean "far right," Drapesy? Will edit this post if proved wrong/right!PS I really enjoy this continually updated thread. Any plans to cover Briggate next? How about combining them and publishing an illustrated coffee-table book - Pubs of Leeds by Drapesy?     I did indeed mean 'far right' - I 'm always getting that wrong!!!!( I'm no expert, but I think its a tram at the far left!!) Thanks for the comments Si - I'm glad you enjoy it.Briggate has been much better covered of course, but I bet there's still bags of interesting stuff to be found! maybe one day...        
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

I'm sure there is, Drapesy. Look at the amount of info we got on The Crown and Fleece on the skulls thread! Aren't you already a published author?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: I'm sure there is, Drapesy. Look at the amount of info we got on The Crown and Fleece on the skulls thread! Aren't you already a published author? Modesty forbids.... (and 'author' sounds a bit grand, but yes I've had couple of cricket-related things published) My main problem is fitting in the time around work and family....
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

drapesy wrote: Si wrote: I'm sure there is, Drapesy. Look at the amount of info we got on The Crown and Fleece on the skulls thread! Aren't you already a published author? Modesty forbids.... (and 'author' sounds a bit grand, but yes I've had couple of cricket-related things published) My main problem is fitting in the time around work and family.... I know what it's like - a wife and four landlords to support...    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Here's a shot of the site of the 'Old Crown' to the left, and on the far side of Wharf Street the 'Grove Tavern'. The 'Shears' was on this stretch of road too. Please check out page 1 again (if you're interested!) as I've added lots of new stuff - virtually every entry has been updated and there are new entries for ten pubs I was previously unaware of. Meanwhile the research goes on...!    
Attachments
__TFMF_q2buetuna2lvzeqeizli1vzd_313a0936-ee45-46fc-a7db-e5f0073dba48_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_q2buetuna2lvzeqeizli1vzd_313a0936-ee45-46fc-a7db-e5f0073dba48_0_main.jpg (151.84 KiB) Viewed 2572 times

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Drapesy, well done with this! The Crown Court skulls (for those not familiar, do a search on this forum), although remaining a mystery at the time of writing, have led to a real interest and insight into Kirkgate and its yards/alleys during the 1800s in particular. Keep going Drapesy - your research into the pubs is fascinating and is bringing a real sense of living history to the area - Briggate next?!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Aw shucks! Thanks for that.Briggate would be a massive task, but never say 'never!'

Si

Post by Si »

Go for it! Get that book published!!!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

just a word to say work is still ongoing - I'm upto c 1850 - lots of new info and even a couple of new pubs! - check out page 1 (Particularly interesting I think is the 'Thirteen Bells')

hooley

Post by hooley »

Had a bit of a Kirgate 'pub crawl' on Friday. Duck and Drake was heaving and I had a mean pint of Leeds Best. Royal Oak was good, Mary still behind the bar, she must be about 300 now. Regent was.....ok. A lot of folk in leggings and I've got to say I wouldn't want to arm wrestle the men there... but £7.20 for four pints of Tetleys and a packet of crisps, I'm not complaining.