The Inns and Pubs of Kirkgate

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

drapesy wrote: The Green Parrot.The unusually, though not uniquely, named 'Green Parrot' stood on the west corner of Wharf Street and Kirkgate. No image of it that I am aware of survives. Like the Phoenix on the opposite side it must have been demolished to make way for the railway bridge. ( it is on 1847 O.S. map but not 190This Leodis photo of 1935 shows where the pub would have been. I assume that the building on the corner, which covers some of the site of the old pub must have been added after the construction of the bridge. The site is now empty.     Interesting thread Mr. D.There was a mens hostel in the old building on the corner of Wharfe St and Kirkgate - I remember it burning to the ground, some years ago.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_d wrote: I sussed you were bookmarking a space to fill in later Drapsey. I think if we ask Dunki nicely to delete our comments you can carry on with a full thread here! I did try the same thing with the skulls but that too went pear shaped and got a bit dotty lol      Yeah Phil thats cause that night the skulls thread activity was off the richter scale,and none of us could keep up...Perhaps it should be called the Crown Scale.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

It did didn't it mate. It has a quiet lull. someone posts something and it goes mad... Dunki will have to clean all this up & let Drapsey carry on. It' a good record to have. I've found loads of pubs in Kirkgate I'd never have known about if it wasn't for skullys!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_d wrote: It did didn't it mate. It has a quiet lull. someone posts something and it goes mad... Dunki will have to clean all this up & let Drapsey carry on. It' a good record to have. I've found loads of pubs in Kirkgate I'd never have known about if it wasn't for skullys! Well Dunki has been good with the skull resource thread,but then he does have a vested interest......one of the skulls is named after him.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Ok - I've been burning the midnight oil and all the dots are now entries if you know what I mean!!!!Hope you enjoy it - I'm sure there's much more to be found out - even more pubs if we take things further back. I'll update or add any new information I discover, or anyone else can add.Cheers
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

drapesy wrote: The Crown / Crown and Fleece.Like the Fox and Grapes this inn was not on Kirkgate, but had a yard, called Crown Court , that exited on to Kirkgate.Of course there is so much about this pub on the'Skulls' thread - and much that we are trying to find out still that there is not much I can add here.This is a Leodis pic that shows the entrance to Crown Court - on the left hand side.The entrance to Crown Court, between Nos 103 and 104 Kirkgate is now unaccesable due to scaffolding around the old cloth hall building.This is a fantastic pic for Secret Leeds - part of the skulls mystery, a tram and a Melbourne sign (belonging to the Scotsman)What more could you ask for???     That's a brilliant find, Drapesy! I assume the white building is Hill's-Furniture of Distinction, where Phill spotted Albert's plaque?Well done. I wonder if we'll ever find a pic of the pub itself?Edit:Oops! Spoke too soon! See skulls thread, page 40 and Brandy's post further up this page.    

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

the duck and drake got a run out on saturday night,on that night watch programme.a group of ladies were been interviewed in there whilst talking about the ripper...why the d&d was chosen i have no idea!!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

drapesy wrote: The Mason's Arms 107 Kirkgate (on the opposite corner of Call lane to the Scotsman)Like the scotsman - this pub has been mentioned more than once on secret Leeds - and there is agood picture of the 'Square and Compass' sign on page 1 of the 'Lost pubs' thread.It is shown on the 1908 O.S.map, but not 1847.I understand it closed in the 1940's. Photo also shows the adjacent 'Regent'     Was this the one that used to claim to be the "Yorkshire Curry Centre" in the seventies?
Industria Omnia Vincit

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Stop - press - have amended page 1 to include the 'Boot and Shoe'
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Mention should also be made , perhaps, of two pubs that were actually on Briggate, but had a side on Kirkgate.In Victorian times the'Buck Inn' fronted onto Briggate on the corner of North side of Kirkgate.At a much earlier date on the south corner was the 'White Swan'. this is shown on Cossin's map of 1726. Next to the pub, on Kirkgate was a 'New Prison'. An alley -way ran from Kirkgate down the east side of the prison then turnsalong the back of it and exits next to the South side of the White Swan on Briggate.