The Inns and Pubs of Kirkgate

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

the Duck and drake is reopened now of course, so we're back to 4 pubs.I am 99.9 percent happy with the position of the Crossed Shears/ Shears tavern (later Grove Tavern) at 76 Kirkgate as explained above. Shear's yard outlived the pub by many years and is shown on o.s maps as being adjacent to Wharf Street.I can understand someone mistaking 'Cross Swords' for 'Crossed Shears' but it seems strange that the writer would also confuse Kirkgate for Briggate .The Buck / Reindeer confusion - yes I agree with you there - I hadn't thought of it that way , and will add a note under the entry for the Buck on Page 1 of the thread.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Updated picture of the Old Royal Oak, which has been closed for some time now, and reduces the number of pubs on Kirkgate back to 3
Attachments
__TFMF_uv0eeo55krxtxhfoeqql0jid_3e7f11b3-f5e1-4e1f-817e-10307afbae3d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_uv0eeo55krxtxhfoeqql0jid_3e7f11b3-f5e1-4e1f-817e-10307afbae3d_0_main.jpg (134.7 KiB) Viewed 7777 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

beast

Post by beast »

I am pleased the Duck & Drake is up and running again. The Palace is alright for the riverside apartment types but its always lacked something in my opinion,even though the real ales are well kept.Wont miss the Royal Oak in the slighest.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Saw this in the planning applications today -'2 new shop fronts to public house to form 2 public houses and alterations to flats over, 29 Kirkgate and 18 New York Street.'

Kirk Gate

Post by Kirk Gate »

Hi Everyone,Hope you can help me with my plan to restore the old Crown & Fleece on Crown Street to its former glory?I'm working closely with the owners as part of the Townscape Heritage Initiative which will attract grant funding for Kirkgate next year.As part of the refurbishment proposals there is an opportunity to reintroduce a pub into the area, so where better than to bring back this piece of history?I have been following the sculls thread with interest and would appreciate if you could help me put together a historic profile of the pub so that we can work with one of the regional independent brewery companies to restore the building. The history posted so far provides a great theme for the restoration so I would really appreciate any old photographs, description listings, landlord chronology, and significant events that could be forwarded by e mail to [email protected] have tracked down the sculls and would hope that we can one day return them to the yard.Look forward to hearing from youRegards,Kirk Gate
Working to restore the buildings of Kirkgate

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Kirk Gate wrote: Hi Everyone,Hope you can help me with my plan to restore the old Crown & Fleece on Crown Street to its former glory?I'm working closely with the owners as part of the Townscape Heritage Initiative which will attract grant funding for Kirkgate next year.As part of the refurbishment proposals there is an opportunity to reintroduce a pub into the area, so where better than to bring back this piece of history?I have been following the sculls thread with interest and would appreciate if you could help me put together a historic profile of the pub so that we can work with one of the regional independent brewery companies to restore the building. The history posted so far provides a great theme for the restoration so I would really appreciate any old photographs, description listings, landlord chronology, and significant events that could be forwarded by e mail to [email protected] have tracked down the sculls and would hope that we can one day return them to the yard.Look forward to hearing from youRegards,Kirk Gate Wow !! that would really be fantastic.I'm sure many Secretleeds posters would love to help.Are you aware of the 'Skulls resource thread?" that contains a lot of good info.http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... eadID=1113 As far as I know the photos there are the only extant photos of the 'Crown and Fleece'.I think restoring the skulls themselves might not be too easy however. I spoke to the owner of the building where they are now situated( Buslingthorpe Lane) a couple of years ago. I had already sounded out Leeds Museum service, who were interested in taking ownership of the skulls, but the current owner, for reasons I can't understand, is not interested and wants them to stay in their current unsuitable location.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

drapesy wrote: Kirk Gate wrote: Hi Everyone,Hope you can help me with my plan to restore the old Crown & Fleece on Crown Street to its former glory?I'm working closely with the owners as part of the Townscape Heritage Initiative which will attract grant funding for Kirkgate next year.As part of the refurbishment proposals there is an opportunity to reintroduce a pub into the area, so where better than to bring back this piece of history?I have been following the sculls thread with interest and would appreciate if you could help me put together a historic profile of the pub so that we can work with one of the regional independent brewery companies to restore the building. The history posted so far provides a great theme for the restoration so I would really appreciate any old photographs, description listings, landlord chronology, and significant events that could be forwarded by e mail to [email protected] have tracked down the sculls and would hope that we can one day return them to the yard.Look forward to hearing from youRegards,Kirk Gate Wow !! that would really be fantastic.I'm sure many Secretleeds posters would love to help.Are you aware of the 'Skulls resource thread?" that contains a lot of good info. As far as I know the photos there are the only extant photos of the 'Crown and Fleece'.I think restoring the skulls themselves might not be too easy however. Steve,check out the skulls thread. I confidently prophesied your interest in this particular message.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

liits

Post by liits »

Here are the Licensees from 1872 [when a dedicated Licensing Register was created] through until 1930 when the pub closed along with a bit of family info gleaned from Ancestry.Brewery: Ind Coope & Co Ltd then Albion Brewery [dates unclear]Public House.Licensing Register    1872 William Stead    Born about 1825, Leeds. The 1871 Census records him living a the premises with his wife, Margaret, son Samuel Beanland Stead [born 1855, Leeds] daughters, Florence Carr Stead [born 1858, Leeds], Elizabeth Stead [born 1861, Leeds], his younger sister Elizabeth Stead [born 1838, Otley] and Ellen Croysdale, a 23 year old Domestic Servant. Died in the first quarter of 1874.Porter’s Directory    1872 William SteadLicensing Register    12th February 1874 Margaret SteadThe Licensing Register records that Margaret was the widow of William.Born about 1831, Leeds, nee Beanland, her maiden name being used as the middle name of her first child. Married to William on 21st September 1848 at St Peter’s Church [Leeds Parish Church], Leeds. She succeeds the License upon the death of her husband but the License then transfers to her second husband, Henry Morton.Licensing Register    5th December 1878 Henry MortonBorn about 1825, Hunslet, Leeds. The 1881 Census records him living at the premises with his second wife, Margaret [formerly Stead, nee Beanland], her daughter, Forence Carr Stead [see details above], his daughter from his first marriage Mary Louisa Morton [born 1866, Leeds], his second wife’s sister, Elizabeth Beanland [born 1838, Otley] who is employed as a Bar Maid. There may be some confusion in the census as the 1871 census records Elizabeth Stead born in 1834 Otley yet the 1881 census records Elizabeth Beanland born in the same year and the same place. The error may be on the part of the Census Taker who compiled the record she from the census returns. The probability s the 1871 Census is incorrect and that the name Stead was transcribed incorrectly and that it was in fact Elzabeth Beanland the younger sister of Margaret.Kelly’s Directory    1881 Henry MortonKelly’s Directory    1886 Henry MortonKelly’s Directory    1888 Henry MortonThe 1891 Census records him living at 1 Butts Terrace, Armley with his son Henry [born 1825, Leeds] and his daughter Mary Louise [born 1866, Leeds], both being unmarried children from his first marriage. The Census records that he is married, not widowed although his second wife, Margaret [formerly Stead, nee Beanland] is nor recorded as living with him.Licensing Register    9th August 1889 Fanny MolineauxBorn about 1856, Leeds. The 1891 Census records her living at the premises with Margaret Kell, a domestic servant. Molineaux was her maiden name to which she had reverted after her marriage to Robert Thomas Milner [which whom she had had two children, Walter [born 1876] and Isobel [born 1878]. She appears in the 1881 census under her married name of Milner and is running an unnamed Temperance Hotel in Black Boy Yard, Briggate. She may be related to the Molineaux family who owned the Bay Horse Inn, Bay Horse Yard, Briggate [amongst other pubs]. She subsequently married Thomas Greenwood and had two more children, Alice [born 1892, Leeds] and Noel [born 1900, Leeds].Slater’s Directory    1892 Mrs Fanny MolineauxKelly’s Directory    1893 Mrs Fanny MolineauxLicensing Register    23rd September 1892 Betty BarracloughThe Licensing Register records that the transfer of License between Molineaux and Barraclough took place on 23rd September 1892. The 1893 Trade Directory is incorrect.No other details available.Licensing Register    8th December 1893 William Dudden LovellBorn about 1843 Paulton, Somerset. The 1891 census records him living at Wilmington Terrace [off Meanwood Road] and employed as a Commercial Traveller. The 1881 Census recorded him in the same employment but with more detail inasmuch as he was a Commercial Traveller selling Wines & Spirits. He was married to Caroline [born 1845, Huntingdon, Cambs] with two sons Henry Scott Lovell [born 1874 Derby], William Atkinson Lovell [born 1878, Leeds] and Louisa [born 1877, Leeds]. He died in the last quarter of 1899.Goes to the Brunswick Arms, Bruswick Terrace [Where the License is succeeded by his wife upon his death].Licensing Register    6th December 1895 Robert Charles Railey KirkNo other details available.Licensing Register    25th September 1896 John [Henry] WhitakerBorn about 1869, Leeds. The 1881 Census records him living with his parents, older sister and a Domestic Servant at the Swan with Two Necks public house, Waterloo Road, Leeds. The 1891 Census records him living at 56A Waterloo Road, Hunslet with his wife, Caroline [born 1868, Leeds whom he married on 12th October 1887, St Oswald’s, Guiseley, Yorks] and their daughter Nelly, [born 1888, Leeds] and a domestic servant. His employment is given as Cab Proprietor. The 1901 census records him as the publican at the Boy and Barrel Hotel, Westgate in Bradford where his is living with his daughter. He is recorded as a widower. His wife succeeded the license [of the Crown & Fleece] from him in December 1899 and held it until May 1900.Kelly’s Directory    1897 John WhitakerRobinson’s Directory    1898 John WhitakerKelly’s Directory    1899 John WhitakerLicensing Register    9th December 1898 Caroline Sharp WhitakerThe Licensing Register records that the transfer of License from John to Caroline took place on 9th December 1898. The information for the 1899 Trade Directory may have been collated by this date.Born 1868 Leeds. Wife of John Henry Whitaker.Kelly’s Directory    1900 Mrs Caroline S WhitakerKelly’s Directory    1901 Mrs Caroline S WhitakerDied in the first quarter of 1901, Bradford where she may have been living with her husband. The 1901 census was taken on the 31st March 1901 and her husband is recorded as a widower by that date.Licensing Register    4th May 1900 George WhitakerThe Licensing Register records that the transfer of License from Caroline to George took place on 4th May 1900. The 1901 Trade Directory is incorrect.Comes from the Oak Hotel, Oak Road & Canal Street. [previously from the Swan with Two Necks, Waterloo Road, Leeds.Born about 1835, Wakefield. The 1901 Census records him living at the premises with his second wife Clara [born 1855, Hunslet, Leeds], his son Joseph [born 1883, Hunslet, Leeds], his daughter Violett [born1886, Hunslet, Leeds] and Annie Cornell, a Domestic Servant. He was the father of a previous Licensee, John Henry Whitaker.Robinson’s Directory    1902 George WhitakerLicensing Register    17th November 1902 David Thornton MolineauxBorn 1854, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. The 1871 Census records him living with his parents James [born 1822, Bilston Staffs.] and Ann [born 1831, Leeds] at the Seven Stars In, Dock Street, Hunslet [later renamed the Oxford Hotel], along with his older brother Thomas [born 1849, Wolverhampton, Staffs.] and Ann Batley, a Domestic Servant. His mother went on, at various times, to own the Bay Horse Inn, Briggate, White Hart, Briggate, Moulders Arms, Water Lane.The 1881 Census records him as the owner of the Crow Hotel, Kitkgate, Wakefield, with his mother before she returned to Leeds as the Owner of the Moulders Arms, Water Lane.The 1891 Census records him living with his brother-in-law George Pagett at the Prince of Wales Hotel, Mount Street, Aston, Birmingham.Kelly’s Directory    1903 David T Molyneaux [sic]Kelly’s Directory    1904 David T Molyneaux [sic]Kelly’s Directory    1905 David T Molyneaux [sic]Convicted on 18th August 1905 of permitting drunkenness to take place on his licensed premises. Ordered to pay costs under Sec. 16 Summary Justice Act 1879.Licensing Register    15th November 1905 Nelly CloyLicensing Register    29th April 1906 Fanny GreenwoodThe 1911 Census records her living at the premises with one other female.Robinsons Directory    1906 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodRobinsons Directory    1907 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1907 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1908 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodRobinsons Directory    1909 Mrs F GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1909 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodRobinsons Directory    1910 Mrs F GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1910 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1911 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1912 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1913 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1914 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1915 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodConvicted on 9th August 1915 of being the owner of a dog and allowing her dog to be in the street without a collar bearing her name and address. Fined 5 shillings or five days imprisonment.Kelly’s Directory    1916 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1917 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1920 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1921 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodKelly’s Directory    1922 Mrs Fanny GreenwoodLicensing Register    8th September 1922 Jack HartleyKelly’s Directory    1923 Jack HartleyKelly’s Directory    1925 Jack HartleyLicensing Register    10th March 1927 Clara HollowayKelly’s Directory    1927 Mrs Clara HollowayKelly’s Directory    1929 Mrs Clara Holloway7th March 1929 “The question of the renewal of this license was referred to the Compensation Authority”.8th May 1929 “The renewal of the License was refused subject to the payment of compensation”.7th June 1929 “At a Supplemental Meeting of the Compensation Authority, the Licensee and the Registered Owners and Lessees were deemed to be the persons entitled to Compensation and submitted a claim for £5745”5th July 1929 “At an Adjournment of the Supplemental Meeting, the claim submitted by the persons entitles to compensation was not approved by the Compensation Authority. The claim was referred to the Commissioners of Inland Revenue”.6th December 1929 “The award of the Commissioners of Inland Revenue was received in the amount of £4700”.17th January 1930 at a further Adjourned Supplemental Meeting, shares in the amount of Compensation were settled by agreement between the parties as follows; Licensee, £650. Registered Owners, £3950. [John Edward Rhodes, 1 Ashwood Terrace, Headingley Leeds] Lessees, £100.5th April 1930 “License lapsed, premises closed”.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

drapesy wrote: Kirk Gate wrote: Hi Everyone,Hope you can help me with my plan to restore the old Crown & Fleece on Crown Street to its former glory?I'm working closely with the owners as part of the Townscape Heritage Initiative which will attract grant funding for Kirkgate next year.As part of the refurbishment proposals there is an opportunity to reintroduce a pub into the area, so where better than to bring back this piece of history?I have been following the sculls thread with interest and would appreciate if you could help me put together a historic profile of the pub so that we can work with one of the regional independent brewery companies to restore the building. The history posted so far provides a great theme for the restoration so I would really appreciate any old photographs, description listings, landlord chronology, and significant events that could be forwarded by e mail to [email protected] have tracked down the sculls and would hope that we can one day return them to the yard.Look forward to hearing from youRegards,Kirk Gate Wow !! that would really be fantastic.I'm sure many Secretleeds posters would love to help.Are you aware of the 'Skulls resource thread?" that contains a lot of good info.http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... eadID=1113 As far as I know the photos there are the only extant photos of the 'Crown and Fleece'.I think restoring the skulls themselves might not be too easy however. I spoke to the owner of the building where they are now situated( Buslingthorpe Lane) a couple of years ago. I had already sounded out Leeds Museum service, who were interested in taking ownership of the skulls, but the current owner, for reasons I can't understand, is not interested and wants them to stay in their current unsuitable location. Probably because of what is hidden behind them.They've been trying to sell that building for years, no one wants it.

Si

Post by Si »

Great research, Liits - thanks. Did we already know of the link with Molineaux? Noticed there's also a tenuous link with St Oswald's in Guiseley. This church also has a carved stone head on it which resembles a skull. Tasa and I photographed it a while back.Is it possible to copy Liits' info into the skulls resource thread, Chameleon? Cheers.