The Chained Bull

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

This is a Leodis pic of the original 'Chained Bull' on the turnpike road from Leeds to Harrogate.
Attachments
__TFMF_hbtiqt55bygxhd55s2a5rv2m_3abd1cd8-5f07-4af8-8739-49b39946d5d7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_hbtiqt55bygxhd55s2a5rv2m_3abd1cd8-5f07-4af8-8739-49b39946d5d7_0_main.jpg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

And the state of its replacement - a large 1930's 'Road Pub'- today. (latterly, and ludicrously renamed the Bull - ludicrous because there are thousands of 'Bulls' but 'Chained Bull' was unique, I believe. It was always called 'the Bull' by locals anyway') This picture is taken from the back - there was once a bowling green here many years ago - then a car park. Now mark and spencers, who built an outlet in that carpark want to demolish it for - you've guessed it- more car parking - whoopee!    
Attachments
__TFMF_hbtiqt55bygxhd55s2a5rv2m_6e966aba-5ad8-49e2-b61a-5f9414984c94_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_hbtiqt55bygxhd55s2a5rv2m_6e966aba-5ad8-49e2-b61a-5f9414984c94_0_main.jpg (145.86 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

And from the front.There's no doubt that the Bull has had its problems over recent years - but I believe they could have been sorted . Instead it would seem that we are to lose a landmark that has been here in one form or another for more than 200 years at least and Moortown will lose its only pub - the only pub for miles around.
Attachments
__TFMF_hbtiqt55bygxhd55s2a5rv2m_5e6d2241-c47f-4265-b74a-614fb38f286e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_hbtiqt55bygxhd55s2a5rv2m_5e6d2241-c47f-4265-b74a-614fb38f286e_0_main.jpg (175.39 KiB) Viewed 5201 times

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Recently there have been one or two posters on 'Secret Leeds' who have said things along the lines of ' oh it was a horrible pub' and 'I'm glad its shut down' - well 'shame on you' and a 'pox upon your houses' as far as I'm concerned!!!I think the loss of any pub is a shame, and diminishes all the pubs in Leeds - short term problems can , with determination, be sorted - but demolition is for ever. I would NEVER applaud the loss of a pub , no matter how grotty or whether I would ever go in.(I actually have some great memories of the Bull from back in the 1980s.)The loss of the 'Chained Bull' is a crying shame.    
Attachments
__TFMF_hbtiqt55bygxhd55s2a5rv2m_b2f75605-0a43-494e-a8f9-222d2ae0a02f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_hbtiqt55bygxhd55s2a5rv2m_b2f75605-0a43-494e-a8f9-222d2ae0a02f_0_main.jpg (206.85 KiB) Viewed 5201 times

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

drapesy wrote: Recently there have been one or two posters on 'Secret Leeds' who have said things along the lines of ' oh it was a horrible pub' and 'I'm glad its shut down' - well 'shame on you' and a 'pox upon your houses' as far as I'm concerned!!!I think the loss of any pub is a shame, and diminishes all the pubs in Leeds - short term problems can , with determination, be sorted - but demolition is for ever. I would NEVER applaud the loss of a pub , no matter how grotty or whether I would ever go in.(I actually have some great memories of the Bull from back in the 1980s.)The loss of the 'Chained Bull' is a crying shame.     a agree with you drapesy its a travesty mate!R.I.P the chained bull i know it was getting a bit 'rough' towards the end but they could have sorted it out!it makes you think just how much sway the people living around the pub actually have with people in high places.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I used to go in there when it was a sort of night club at the turn of the century (love being able to say that!) it used to attract all sorts of low lifes in there and as much as I hate to say it I am glad that it is gone in some senses. On the other hand I miss it as it was OK later on once it had been refurbed etc but I think one of the big problems it had was that it was too big to sustain with the limited numbers going in.Wonder why it was built so big? The upstairs must have been massive unless it was a hotel in the true sense of the word.

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

drapesy wrote: And from the front.There's no doubt that the Bull has had its problems over recent years - but I believe they could have been sorted . Instead it would seem that we are to lose a landmark that has been here in one form or another for more than 200 years at least and Moortown will lose its only pub - the only pub for miles around. In the 1960s and 70s I went in regularly if occasionally .     I hadn't realised it was as old as you illustrate it is ; thinking it a 1930s pub built as Moortown was developed .     At the side where Marks and Spencer now stands there was in those days a small luxurious bar with thick carpets and very deep red leather armchairs ; a bar supposedly designed for businessmen on their way home to the new suburb at Alwoodley or onward to Harrogate . Does " The Jester " further up Harrogate Road still exist ?
roundhegian

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The issue that The Chained Bull seems to have suffered is that "problem" pubs keep getting forced to close, either for financial or licencing reasons, but no-one actually does anything about the people causing the problems.If one pub shuts, they simply move on to the next one and the problem repeats.The Chained Bull was one of the biggest draws in Leeds during much of the 90's, in much the same way The Travellers Rest at Croosgates (now closed, although later re-opened as some sort of half pub half Chinese restaurant venue with a different name), with people coming from miles around for a night out.The same sorry tale keeps getting repeated across Leeds and no doubt across the country. There are reportedly 6 pubs a day closing at the moment, most of them forever.    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

roundhegian wrote: Does " The Jester " further up Harrogate Road still exist ? Yes! Although it's been called 'The Lord D'Arcy' for several years now. I've never been in so can't comment on it's worthiness! Sorry!(I might be tempted to call in now that you've reminded me that it's there!)... CheersDave
Northern Earth Walks

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

I used to go in the Chained Bull in the mid/late 80s, have some good memories although I can't say it was a favourite pub...I've driven by 'The Jester' a few times in the last couple of years and never noticed the name change!