BARCHESTER FORTIFIED WINE

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Si wrote: fevlad wrote: Dalehelms wrote: fevlad, did you try Buckie? Buckfast Fortified Wine made by the good inhabitants of Buckfast Abbey in Devon? buckie oh ayeand there was this other stuff brewe up there ccalled Lanliq Does it give a Chateau Latour '57 a run for it's money, then? dunno: I was usually a goner after two glasses.    
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

After Lanliq, the Glaswegian progression was to Brasso! Hope that one passed you by.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Dalehelms wrote: After Lanliq, the Glaswegian progression was to Brasso! Hope that one passed you by. thank god.I worked in a psychiatric hospital.there were loads of people with Mental health problems associated with alcoholismand other stuff.One was gassewd milk. Milk was infused with coal gas and supped. God knows what people got out of it.I remember setting off for an afternoon shift on NY eve and stepping over drunken bodies on the pavement as I made my way to the subway stationhappy days.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Chrism wrote: It was made by Mathers which was situated on Silver Royd Hill. I worked there for a short while in 77. They brewed a few different sherries and sparkling wines, Baby Duck is one I remember. They also did a Black Beer which was like tar and coated your mouth. I think peeps used to drink it with lemonade and it was quite palatable then. If anything else springs to mind I'll post later. I've got a bottle of Mathers Black Beer in my cupboard now. I remember a lot of off licences used to sell "wine from the wood" out of a fake wooden barrel - you took your own bottle is that the stuff?. Powerful!
Industria Omnia Vincit

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Im sure Morrison's keep Mather's Black beer onthe shelf down in Kirkstall.'A baby in every bottle'so watch out!Sorry,I think that was Mackeson's stout!Or mebbe Babycham?    

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

There! Thanks Drapesy! Never knew abt the edit buttonIf ever I press owt new I usually lose all my text!TVM mateArry    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

arry awk wrote: Sorry! That should read'Ababy in every bottle' Arry -do you know you can edit your own posts even after they're up and posted? click the 'edit' button!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Having Googled Mather's black Beer - it is still made - but in Huddersfield these days.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

drapesy wrote: Having Googled Mather's black Beer - it is still made - but in Huddersfield these days. I bought my bottle Christmas 2006, to make Sheffield Stout. It's 7% proof, but you couldn't drink it on it's own it's much too sweet.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

... ... and it makes a right ol' mess of ya gob!!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.