BARCHESTER FORTIFIED WINE

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
fevlad

Post by fevlad »

after a late shift in the hospital in Gklasgow I worked at back in the dayme and my colleagues would have some light relief by enjoying Barchester Fortified wine.It was deadly, but reminded me of home since it claimed to be 'made' in Leeds.Does anyone have any background on 'Bar C'?
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

There's some references to it in this thread:http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... 386Mathers Black Beer shandy was a favourite in our house at Christmas.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

It was made by Mathers which was situated on Silver Royd Hill. I worked there for a short while in 77. They brewed a few different sherries and sparkling wines, Baby Duck is one I remember. They also did a Black Beer which was like tar and coated your mouth. I think peeps used to drink it with lemonade and it was quite palatable then. If anything else springs to mind I'll post later.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

A black beer and lemonade shandy is called a Sheffield Stout, I believe.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

That's the feller Si, it had slipped my noggin for a minute there!!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

Aye, me Nana used to make them for us way back in the sixties. Can't remember what it tasted like!

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

fevlad, did you try Buckie? Buckfast Fortified Wine made by the good inhabitants of Buckfast Abbey in Devon?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Dalehelms wrote: fevlad, did you try Buckie? Buckfast Fortified Wine made by the good inhabitants of Buckfast Abbey in Devon? lol buckfast    wasnt it once labled a "tonic wine"?three small glasses a day for good health n' all that ? brewed by the monks and drank by the drunks
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Dalehelms wrote: fevlad, did you try Buckie? Buckfast Fortified Wine made by the good inhabitants of Buckfast Abbey in Devon? buckie oh ayeand there was this other stuff brewe up there ccalled Lanliq
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Si

Post by Si »

fevlad wrote: Dalehelms wrote: fevlad, did you try Buckie? Buckfast Fortified Wine made by the good inhabitants of Buckfast Abbey in Devon? buckie oh ayeand there was this other stuff brewe up there ccalled Lanliq Does it give a Chateau Latour '57 a run for it's money, then?