Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Silver Fox

Post by Silver Fox »

Hi tillyThanks for your response.What you have described is almost exactly what my brother told me about about his visit to my mum's family He remembers the wire wrapping machine for the chip bundles quite vividly, so I am sure your information is correct.I was born in 1950 and remember my uncle Jim driving his horse and cart up Scott Hall Road where we lived at the time. There were seven other brothers but Jim was the one who inherited the fire wood business when my grand parents passed away in 1949.I thought they lived at 25 Vauxhall Street because my mum's birth certificate lists that address, however there were only three children at that time and think they moved sometime around 1916 when more kids came along.My mum was married in 1932 and was living in the house in 16 Pearson Street at the time of the marriage.According to chemimike that address was a beer seller or off licence in 1915 which sort of fits in with the idea that they lived in an old pub.Does this jog any of your memories?RegardsSilver Fox

liits

Post by liits »

chemimike wrote: 16 Pearson St is listed in the 1916 Kellys as John Childerson, beer retailer., and was on the map between Brougham St and Ripon St. Beer retailer could mean either that it was an off-licence, selling only for drinking away from the premises, or a pub having a beerhouse licence only, which did not permit the sale of wine or spirits. 16 Pearson Street - where John William Childerson was the licensee - was the Hope & Anchor. A free house [very rare in Leeds] it closed sometime between June 1921 and Fed 1922 as there was "No application for renewal" at the 1922 Brewster Sessions, the premises obviously having closed voluntarily.

Silver Fox

Post by Silver Fox »

Thanks chemimikeI think you have given me the answer I was looking for.RegardsSilver Fox.

tilly

Post by tilly »

liits wrote: chemimike wrote: 16 Pearson St is listed in the 1916 Kellys as John Childerson, beer retailer., and was on the map between Brougham St and Ripon St. Beer retailer could mean either that it was an off-licence, selling only for drinking away from the premises, or a pub having a beerhouse licence only, which did not permit the sale of wine or spirits. 16 Pearson Street - where John William Childerson was the licensee - was the Hope & Anchor. A free house [very rare in Leeds] it closed sometime between June 1921 and Fed 1922 as there was "No application for renewal" at the 1922 Brewster Sessions, the premises obviously having closed voluntarily. Hi lilts The Union Inn is listed on Hunslet Revisited has 12 Pearson Street this must have been the Hope and Anchor at some time the problem I have is I thought it was at the end of William St and Vaux St not BroughamSt and Ripon St Could there have been two pubs so close together?.PS Silver Fox glad I could help.PPS There was no Vauxhall St of Pearson St but there was a Vaux St your mother must have lived in the building that became the Union Inn when she moved. The Pearson St end of most of the streets consisted of a blank wall this was the end wall of two back to backs.The three shops I told you about were at the end of two of the streets The Union Inn as at the end of two other streets so it was quite a big building.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Silver Fox I have had my thinking cap on it gets smaller year by year I think I am wrong about your mum living in the Union Inn building if the number of the pub was 12 Pearson St and I am sure I am right where it was stood then number 16 would have been at the bottom of Brougham St and Ripon St.I don't know how they numbered the propertys but they must have counted the blank walls at the end of the streets,There must have been a house faceing onto Pearson St at the end of Brougham St and Ripon St but I cant remember it.The Union Inn was not the same build has all the other buildings on Pearson St every thing was built of brick, this was rendered so I wonder if it was built at a later date.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Silver Fox

Post by Silver Fox »

Thanks Tilly.Once again, thanks for all of the effort you have put in to try and answer my question.I made contact with my brother who thinks the Hope and Anchor was the right name, but he also remembers the factory wall which he called the "warm wall"possibly due to the furnace at the Hunslet Engine Company?RegardsSilver Fox

liits

Post by liits »

Hi Tilly. You're right about the Union being at the end of the terrace of Vaux & William Streets. The Hope & Anchor was at the end of the next terrace but one, Brougham & Rippon.    
Attachments
HopeUnion.jpg
HopeUnion.jpg (161.52 KiB) Viewed 2500 times

jim

Post by jim »

Silver Fox, the wall/s at the opposite side of Pearson Street to the pubs were of the premises of John Fowler and Co and of the Airedale Foundry. The latter was once the works of Kitsons, but I think they may have closed by the period you speak of, and I am uncertain who was using that portion of the site at that time. I know that by 1960 or so the section facing Hunslet Road was occupied by Specialloid. The Hunslet Engine Co premises would have been beyond the other ends of the side streets i.e. to the south. Hope this is useful.

Silver Fox

Post by Silver Fox »

Hi JimThanks for the information it's much appreciatedRegards

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Silver Fox wrote: Hi.Thanks for the quick response.Yes my uncle Peter the youngest of the nine boys played for Hunslet in the 50'sRegardsSilver Fox If my memory serves me correctly Peter Anson was married to Molly Anson who was a very pretty girl who sang at the Mecca Locarno in the Arcade (Victoria Quarter) <edited on request, amend by dsco 050315>. On a different subject the Hunslet Rugby lads, Brian Gabbitas etc used to get £8. win, £6. and £4. lose around that time.