Waterloo pub East Street

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Hunsletlass

Waterloo pub East Street

Post by Hunsletlass »

Anyone remember or have any info on a man who used to sing in the Waterloo? I knew him as Little Freddy.

volvojack

Re: Waterloo pub East Street

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Hunsletlass"]Anyone remember or have any info on a man who used to sing in the Waterloo? I knew him as Little Freddy.
Though i do not recall anyone of that name myself It might be bring a memory back to some one if you .what sort of era you are talking about

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Every time that I went in the pub in the late 1960's/early 1970's, it was full of ambulance men from the nearby ambulance depot.

The pub was also the second pub (after the Lloyds Arms) on the 'East Street Run' (pub crawl), followed by the Black Dog, Fisherman's Hut and many others - Cavalier, Hampton, Shepherd, Prospect, Yew Tree, Spring Close, Cross Green, Bridgefield, Hope Inn, Regent (Slip Inn), White Horse and others, depending on whether or not you crossed York Road (Victoria, Shaftsbury, Wykebeck, etc.), plus a couple of others such as the Palace and the Woodpecker.
Last edited by iansmithofotley on Fri 28 Dec, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunsletlass

Post by Hunsletlass »

This would have been early 1970s.

Hunsletlass

Post by Hunsletlass »

volvojack wrote:
Hunsletlass wrote:Anyone remember or have any info on a man who used to sing in the Waterloo? I knew him as Little Freddy.
Though i do not recall anyone of that name myself It might be bring a memory back to some one if you .what sort of era you are talking about
Early 70s I think. My parents used to go in there, with my Aunty and uncle. My dad died suddenly in 1974, and it would be before then.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The only lad that used to sing quite regularly around the East Leeds Pubs was a very good singer by the name of Johnny Joyce who accompanied himself on a small electric piano. He was a very good "Chanter" and used to fill more or any less Pub he sang in. The other one was a little fellow called Tony and used to s[ng in the "Fishermans Hut",mainly semi classical stuff when he had drank a few.
Incidentally what was your Dads name ? The only reason i ask is that in those days most lads that frequented the East St. pubs were regulars and either worked or lived not too far away. I would not be offended and would quite understand your privacy.]

Compliments of the Season to you and yours.

Hunsletlass

Post by Hunsletlass »

This was just an old man who would get up to sing on Saturday nights I think, and in no way a professional. He had a very strange way of singing any song, rather like a speech impediment.
My dad was Tony.
It was when Tommy Hodgson was the landlord at the Waterloo.