Harehiils Park / Yorkshire water.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Brandy wrote: Somewhere here then BP?     X marks the spot! From memory thats about right.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Jak wrote: cnosni wrote: Jak wrote: They kept fencing it of when i were a lad,but then we used to un fence it.I will have walk around the old place some time this summer iv not been around that way for years. Hope its not changed too much. I think the fencing in mine and Brandys time was more substantial,its whats still place now i believe In the 50s it was six foot chain link.The pipes were cast iron upto 3ft wide and 20ft long, there were more kids laking on there than all the rest of the park. Yes I remember the 6ft chain link fence. It was in fairly good condition where it ran alongside Kimberley Rd, but there were a few holes on the park side and it was so porous on the Harehills lane end of the site that we could get out with our heavy load on 2 bogies.I used to visit the allotments between the water board site and Harehills Lane with my grandad in the early 50s. Later on Brownhill school had a prefab annex on Harehills Lane which backed onto the reservoir site and some allotments. I spent 2 happy years in the annex which was separated from the main Brownhill school building by Harehills Lane. There was also a single story brick building, which was a state run preschool nursery, backing onto the reservoir site.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Jak wrote: blackprince wrote: Jak wrote: cnosni wrote: Jak wrote: They kept fencing it of when i were a lad,but then we used to un fence it.I will have walk around the old place some time this summer iv not been around that way for years. Hope its not changed too much. I think the fencing in mine and Brandys time was more substantial,its whats still place now i believe In the 50s it was six foot chain link.The pipes were cast iron upto 3ft wide and 20ft long, there were more kids laking on there than all the rest of the park. I have to confess that in the mid 50's I was one of the kids "lakin" on the water board land with the 3 ft dia pipes stacked in 2 or 3 layers. The pipes were stacked on fairly hefty wooden beams like railway sleepers but much longer. When "chumping" time came around I can remember one of them found its wat onto our bonfire. It was an enormous load for a bunch of 6 to 8 year olds to shift but we put a bogie under each end and pulled it along with ropes. I still remember the excitement of getting it across Harehills lane and stopping the traffic.     I remember doing the same thing,took the timber to the torries. I also remember being shot at with an air rifle while walking across that site. The sniper was lying inside one of the 3ft pipes and hit one of my little friends on the forehead. We didn't play among the pipes too much after that.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

blackprince wrote: Jak wrote: blackprince wrote: Jak wrote: cnosni wrote: Jak wrote: They kept fencing it of when i were a lad,but then we used to un fence it.I will have walk around the old place some time this summer iv not been around that way for years. Hope its not changed too much. I think the fencing in mine and Brandys time was more substantial,its whats still place now i believe In the 50s it was six foot chain link.The pipes were cast iron upto 3ft wide and 20ft long, there were more kids laking on there than all the rest of the park. I have to confess that in the mid 50's I was one of the kids "lakin" on the water board land with the 3 ft dia pipes stacked in 2 or 3 layers. The pipes were stacked on fairly hefty wooden beams like railway sleepers but much longer. When "chumping" time came around I can remember one of them found its wat onto our bonfire. It was an enormous load for a bunch of 6 to 8 year olds to shift but we put a bogie under each end and pulled it along with ropes. I still remember the excitement of getting it across Harehills lane and stopping the traffic.     I remember doing the same thing,took the timber to the torries. I also remember being shot at with an air rifle while walking across that site. The sniper was lying inside one of the 3ft pipes and hit one of my little friends on the forehead. We didn't play among the pipes too much after that. Glad to see Air rills has not really changed much,drive by shootings now tghe norm!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Jak

Post by Jak »

cnosni wrote: blackprince wrote: Jak wrote: blackprince wrote: Jak wrote: cnosni wrote: Jak wrote: They kept fencing it of when i were a lad,but then we used to un fence it.I will have walk around the old place some time this summer iv not been around that way for years. Hope its not changed too much. I think the fencing in mine and Brandys time was more substantial,its whats still place now i believe In the 50s it was six foot chain link.The pipes were cast iron upto 3ft wide and 20ft long, there were more kids laking on there than all the rest of the park. I have to confess that in the mid 50's I was one of the kids "lakin" on the water board land with the 3 ft dia pipes stacked in 2 or 3 layers. The pipes were stacked on fairly hefty wooden beams like railway sleepers but much longer. When "chumping" time came around I can remember one of them found its wat onto our bonfire. It was an enormous load for a bunch of 6 to 8 year olds to shift but we put a bogie under each end and pulled it along with ropes. I still remember the excitement of getting it across Harehills lane and stopping the traffic.     I remember doing the same thing,took the timber to the torries. anyone remember the air raid shelter in the corner near the pipes that was a good place to play aroundI also remember being shot at with an air rifle while walking across that site. The sniper was lying inside one of the 3ft pipes and hit one of my little friends on the forehead. We didn't play among the pipes too much after that. Glad to see Air rills has not really changed much,drive by shootings now tghe norm!!
Jack Lambert ex giptoner

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Chappy's meant to be a simmering pot(dutchie lol)by all accounts chris,i have a friend of a friend who's in the ARV and he said the 'alleged' shooting in the face last month was more of a 'gun in mouth execution gone wrong' type of thing but the police are telling the papers to dampen the story's down!It seems theres a full blown turf war going on down there between local 'yoot's' and the 'yardies' bloody worrying isnt it?dont forget our two lads are down there lol. i hope they don't get chipped from a stray bullet! lol        
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Jak

Post by Jak »

Brandy wrote: Chappy's meant to be a simmering pot(dutchie lol)by all accounts chris,i have a friend of a friend who's in the ARV and he said the 'alleged' shooting in the face last month was more of a 'gun in mouth execution gone wrong' type of thing but the police are telling the papers to dampen the story's down!It seems theres a full blown turf war going on down there between local 'yoot's' and the 'yardies' bloody worrying isnt it?dont forget our two lads are down there lol. i hope they don't get chipped from a stray bullet! lol         reading about this sort of thing makes me think i should keep away and just remember the good old days be for all the scum moved in.no wonder the bmp are doing so well.
Jack Lambert ex giptoner

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Gumf.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Brandy wrote: Well when i say 'fountains' there more like large stone blocks with taps stuck on lolHeres whats left of the stone and in my lifetime (38yrs) ive never known em to work,but my mam's said they did when she was a kid. JUST OFF TO THE RIGHT OF THE TOP LEFT FOUNTAIN,WERE THE UNDERGROUND LOO'S I WAS ON ABOUT IN THE 'LOST LOO'S OF LEEDS THREAD.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Jak wrote: Brandy wrote: Chappy's meant to be a simmering pot(dutchie lol)by all accounts chris,i have a friend of a friend who's in the ARV and he said the 'alleged' shooting in the face last month was more of a 'gun in mouth execution gone wrong' type of thing but the police are telling the papers to dampen the story's down!It seems theres a full blown turf war going on down there between local 'yoot's' and the 'yardies' bloody worrying isnt it?dont forget our two lads are down there lol. i hope they don't get chipped from a stray bullet! lol         reading about this sort of thing makes me think i should keep away and just remember the good old days be for all the scum moved in.no wonder the bmp are doing so well. BMP??......IS THAT A TYPO...OR ARE THERE MORE OF 'EM..(BNP)
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?