Maid of Athens, the secret in the lake.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
rikj

Post by rikj »

Waterloo Lake in Roundhay Park was the brainchild of Thomas Nicholson, though the completion of the scheme was seen through by his brother Stephen and nephew William. Reportedly created in 1815 by soldiers returning from the Napoleonic Wars. All this covered in other threads I think.The lake had a pleasure steamer, the Maid of Athens, hopefully pictured above, which ended her life in the lat 1890s, when she was sunk in the deepest part of the lake. This being about 100ft. The lake was created over old coal pits and shafts, to disguise them from the rest of the park. The average depth is 60ft, though in places it extends to 100ft.If the Maid of Athens was sunk in the deepest part of the lake, then I guess we have to assume she is still there. How would anyone have got her out?Also, in "Roundhay Park, an illustrated history" by Steven Burt, where all this info comes from, there is mention of a gun amnesty after WWI. The 300 guns collected were dumped in the deepest part of the lake. I suppose this explains the police presence when the lake was most recenly drained. After all these years I'd imagine the boat and guns are well buried under several feet of silt. Does anybody know if the boat is still there at the bottom of the lake? (NB The Mary Gordon, the electric boat which took over from the Maid of Athens, still exists and is currently being restored).
Attachments
__TFMF_yws1nfmzsngyu155a40zhz45_b71ed980-74c6-40c4-82f7-a7da2deebb14_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_yws1nfmzsngyu155a40zhz45_b71ed980-74c6-40c4-82f7-a7da2deebb14_0_main.jpg (45.16 KiB) Viewed 6565 times

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Don't know how true it is but I had heard that the guns and at lease 2 WWII bombs were taken out of the lake at one point in the 1990's when the lake sprang a leak and the level was lowered.I wonder if there is a way of mapping the contours of the lake?Probably shouldn't admit to this but when I was younger I went swimming in the lake in summer time. I remember it sloping down for about 2ft then a really steep drop, and it's true about the undercurrents also, you can feel them pulling you around under the water- either that or there is a Roundhay Park Lake Monster there!If you could ascertain the depths then mabe a location for the Maid of Athens could be found...

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

as far as i know,the maid and a couple of other boats are down there in company with some artillery,long and side arms and a large quantity af ammo.back in 76,when the water level dropped and again when they dropped the level to make it into a resovoir,there was a police guard around the lake,so the amounts must be pretty substantial.i knew a guy whose brother found a webley ww1 revolver in there,whilst swimming and messing about.he said it was totally paggered,and unservicable,but he still got a nasty jail sentence for possesion.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

wiggy wrote: as far as i know,the maid and a couple of other boats are down there in company with some artillery,long and side arms and a large quantity af ammo.back in 76,when the water level dropped and again when they dropped the level to make it into a resovoir,there was a police guard around the lake,so the amounts must be pretty substantial.i knew a guy whose brother found a webley ww1 revolver in there,whilst swimming and messing about.he said it was totally paggered,and unservicable,but he still got a nasty jail sentence for possesion. Wiggy, I remember the strngthening of the dam well. What surprised me was how shallow and gentle the majority of the lake was - there was laft only an area of about a qharter to a third of its width with water in - hard to believe that remaining could be so deep.I seem to recall there was a fatality there with someone getting out of their depth or trapped during that work. I thought it was reported that a Police presence was introduced on public safety grounds.

Si

Post by Si »

Two teenagers were unfortunately drowned in the lake in 2005, which resulted in the building of a "safety" fence along the Wharfe in Otley. See www.wharfemeadowsactiongroup.org

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

chameleon wrote: wiggy wrote: as far as i know,the maid and a couple of other boats are down there in company with some artillery,long and side arms and a large quantity af ammo.back in 76,when the water level dropped and again when they dropped the level to make it into a resovoir,there was a police guard around the lake,so the amounts must be pretty substantial.i knew a guy whose brother found a webley ww1 revolver in there,whilst swimming and messing about.he said it was totally paggered,and unservicable,but he still got a nasty jail sentence for possesion. Wiggy, I remember the strngthening of the dam well. What surprised me was how shallow and gentle the majority of the lake was - there was laft only an area of about a qharter to a third of its width with water in - hard to believe that remaining could be so deep.I seem to recall there was a fatality there with someone getting out of their depth or trapped during that work. I thought it was reported that a Police presence was introduced on public safety grounds. i can recall many drownings there,one of the lads i knew,but every mother tells her kids not to swim in waterloo lake,its suicide,especially when drinking.yes i have always found it to have gently sloping sides,yet folk talk of it dropping away.in 77 it froze thick and solid,a mate of mine walked over it,but two of us refused,we have never seen him since strangley enough.my grandad was in the e.p a long while ago,just after he was de-mobbed i think.it seems two lads were climbing the waterfall,when they slipped and fell and my grandfather climbed down and carried them to safety.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

chameleon wrote: wiggy wrote: as far as i know,the maid and a couple of other boats are down there in company with some artillery,long and side arms and a large quantity af ammo.back in 76,when the water level dropped and again when they dropped the level to make it into a resovoir,there was a police guard around the lake,so the amounts must be pretty substantial.i knew a guy whose brother found a webley ww1 revolver in there,whilst swimming and messing about.he said it was totally paggered,and unservicable,but he still got a nasty jail sentence for possesion. Wiggy, I remember the strngthening of the dam well. What surprised me was how shallow and gentle the majority of the lake was - there was laft only an area of about a qharter to a third of its width with water in - hard to believe that remaining could be so deep.I seem to recall there was a fatality there with someone getting out of their depth or trapped during that work. I thought it was reported that a Police presence was introduced on public safety grounds.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I'll add this link to this interesting webpage Jim pointed outhttp://www.marygordon.org.uk/?page_id=57There are plenty of photos, diagrams, info, and history of the boat.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks for that Phill. I lived in Lincoln in 1956/7 and remembered the boat from then.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Know nothing about the boats so - ta for info.Recall tales of ex forces ammo being disposed of in there.