A dinosaur in Leeds.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
rikj

Post by rikj »

A bit of a surprise to find this, but it looks like a dinosaur to me. I'm no expert, but looks like a diplodocus, or maybe brachiosaurus. One of those 30 ton ones that stood around in swamps. (I understand that now we're in the EU we're allowed 40 ton dinosaurs).A quick measurement puts it at around 300ft long. That's approximate, as I'm sure you'll know from your own experiences that measuring a dinosaur isn't easy.It's difficult to get the head and neck straight while trying to measure the tail. So, this isn't a conclusive measurement, I've just assumed that the tail is around the same length as the body, and calculated the length from there.Anyhow, any guesses as to where it is? If not, I'll post up a pic as I'd be very interested to know the story behind it. I've posted this in the Parks section as we don't seem to have a "Flora and Fauna" section.

The Doggers

Post by The Doggers »

Is this something dug up recently??

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

its just ran past are house this morning i managed to snap it with mi fuji LOL
Attachments
__TFMF_w5ugqz45l5yahjultwrnzxi3_c3e3e9d9-9c07-451a-8903-dc02d27b5de3_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_w5ugqz45l5yahjultwrnzxi3_c3e3e9d9-9c07-451a-8903-dc02d27b5de3_0_main.jpg (8.82 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Yorkshireranger

Post by Yorkshireranger »

Remember some 40 years ago++, that on Park Row, there used to be a museum (if my memory is correct), I remember that as part of the exhibition, there was a full sized dinosaur displayed in the building suspended with guy ropes from all directions, does anybody else remember or am I dreaming???

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Yorkshireranger wrote: Remember some 40 years ago++, that on Park Row, there used to be a museum (if my memory is correct), I remember that as part of the exhibition, there was a full sized dinosaur displayed in the building suspended with guy ropes from all directions, does anybody else remember or am I dreaming??? No your not dreaming, have a look at this thread:http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1

Yorkshireranger

Post by Yorkshireranger »

Thanks Chameleon, seem to remember the tiger was the main attraction at the oppening of the new museum on the Headrow

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Yorkshireranger wrote: Thanks Chameleon, seem to remember the tiger was the main attraction at the oppening of the new museum on the Headrow I wonder where in the new museum it will live? Like so many, I was sad to see the Civic Theatre move from the Mechanics Institute, a place of such magic and atmosphere, but equally, I can think of nowhere better to create the Museum.I hope the charm of the old place is retained, though the nooks and crannies generally hidden from the audience will become part of the main area I supose. Many happy memories from times spent there.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Was that tiger in the YEP having its first ever wash recently? I'm sure I saw it unless I dreamt it. Can't think there are many stuffed tigers being washed these days.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

rikj wrote: Was that tiger in the YEP having its first ever wash recently? I'm sure I saw it unless I dreamt it. Can't think there are many stuffed tigers being washed these days. That was the Polar Bear.I remember the museum in the 70s as being pants.Though it was free,it was a disgrace for such a large city with such a large collection (though the tiger and the mummies were ace).I appreciate that the new museum is long overdue but frankly i would have preffered that the money being spent on a big visual screen in the entrance had been spent on displaying some of the artefacts which will be held in storage at the Clarence dock resource centre. Any rikj,where is this chuffing dinosaur!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The Museum when it was in the Leeds library Building had two stuffed Thylacines a.k.a Tasmanian Tigers. This animal is now officially extanct the last one having died in a zoo in the 1930's. However cryptozoologists are convinced that specimens are still out there in Australia.a friend of mine when studying at Leeds university managed to "borrow" a tooth from one of the Leeds Museum specimens and has used it as a talisman in cryptozoologicl interests ever since.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!