The Rhubarb Triangle - where is it?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
smallships

Post by smallships »

The 1940s. I lived in intake lane stanningley. the cottage at the end of the terrace a lad named Gorden Barker had trials with yorkshire then played with Essex country. Below them was rubarb forcing sheds owned by a man called Jack Popperwell song writer and playright , the other side of the road was just fields of RB. Below them another rubarb grower called Harry Horn then later landlord of the Owl in Rodley with his wife Nellie. A son they had who died very young with I think Scarlet Fever, and a daughter I think will be alive to-day.Going back to Jack P I helped in the forcing sheds but can't remember if I was paid if I did it was pennies, He also farmed at churwell. The rubarb was good from the sheds but the other was bitter. Thats all my message and hope someone will remember those years but maybe asking alot.     smallships

smallships

Post by smallships »

No responce to my last post, or is it i am too old for this site? smallships    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

smallships wrote: No responce to my last post, or is it i am too old for this site? smallships     Your not too old.The older the better as you can remember further back in time. I'm 68
ex-Armley lad

smallships

Post by smallships »

stutterdog wrote: smallships wrote: No responce to my last post, or is it i am too old for this site? smallships     Your not too old.The older the better as you can remember further back in time. I'm 68 Stutterdog.    Farsley, Well do you remember the Tank that stood in the triangle at the bottam of Farsley and Jessie Stephanson my other 2 brothers and I worked making bread over the years. Also VJ night in Farsley cons Club and other places what a mind bending night. I was 17 on that day and joined the Navy smallships    

trophy

Post by trophy »

sundowner wrote: There are Rhubarb sheds just off Roker Lane Pudsey i think they are still used or they were when i lived on Roker Lane a few years ago. my uncle used to have rhubarb sheds on his smallholding on lumby lane which backed on to roker lane alas its an housing estate now.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

wiggy wrote: city lights is my favorite,an exellent read for people like us,who love all things old leeds,mentioning leggards,schofields and dozens of other old firms.plus its not a novel,its a biography....i must try life after city lights next.. I was recommended the Keith Waterhouse book 'City Lights' only recently, late in life.Thoroughly enjoyed it. The same recommendee cautioned against Streets Ahead:After City Lights as what is loved about 1st book isn't there.The self-confessed weird kid + Leeds stuff gone.They're all up there on amazon for the usual £3. Asda have widened the triangle, their frozen rhubarb is Polish.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

More money in houses than rhubarb, clearly:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6669993

markhoppy

Post by markhoppy »

I live just down the road in East Ardsley and when we moved here in 1997 the fields behind our house that slope down to the M1 were all cropped with rhubarb, but when the owner Jim Auty retired a couple of years later he rented his land to a farmer who has only ever grown barley or rape, which must be due to the higher profit margins, demand, or both. This area might be ideal for growing rhubarb but land suitable for development - especially brownfield land and the government encouragement to use this where possible - has such a high value that it must be difficult for the owner not to sell up. I'm not in favour of the development at Dunningley Lane btw .. it takes two weeks to get a doctors appointment at the local practice, Woodkirk and East Ardsley schools are already oversubscribed, and the volume of traffic on the A650 is just ridiculous. There is an outline planning application for 300 houses just off Bradford Road, beside Amblers Mill, and I'm sure there will be others in the pipeline too.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

markhoppy wrote: I'm not in favour of the development at Dunningley Lane btw .. it takes two weeks to get a doctors appointment at the local practice, Woodkirk and East Ardsley schools are already oversubscribed, and the volume of traffic on the A650 is just ridiculous. There is an outline planning application for 300 houses just off Bradford Road, beside Amblers Mill, and I'm sure there will be others in the pipeline too. I agree markhoppy....I live nearby and the roads are already bursting at the seams,especially the "feeder" roads to the A650/A653 etc.If you look at the area in detail,it's easy to see the problems of access,topography and unsuitability for such a development.I'm definitely not a nimbyist but how much more can this area tolerate ??? No additional roads,schools,doctors are all factors but this area is fast becoming gridlocked and noise generated by massive traffic movements is ruining quality of life for many.The limitations of the M62 and the main East Coast rail spur from Leeds means the area is effectively hemmed in on 2 sides(of the triangular tract of land) with any discernible access being only from the A653 ??? Can't imagine how the minor Thorpe Lane which straddles Tingley/Middleton would be able to cope with additional traffic especially bearing in mind the additional housing proposals you point out above affecting the A650 corridor(another over subscribed road).These are just 2 of similar developments intended for the local area in coming years.The urban sprawl that engulfs all that was left of the boundary between Leeds/Wakefield continues apace.We will soon all be swallowed up in one giant ungreen metropolis of developments without any identity,soul or character.Rhubarb,I say !    
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !