The Rhubarb Triangle - where is it?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

There was an item on Radio Leeds the other day about the local rhubarb producers wanting their product to have a designation like Cognac, Champagne Stilton cheese etc. - and that set me thinking, where is the "Rhubarb Triangle?" I've always assumed it's the area bordered by Leeds and Bradford to the north and Wakefield to the south. The entire area is said to be visible from the tower of St Michaels East Ardsley. Carlton and Rothwell are certainly in it. I've always assumed Morley was in it. Any thoughts on here?
Industria Omnia Vincit

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

This is what wikipedia has to say about it:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb_Triangleand there is also the Wakefield Festival of Food, Drink & Rhubarb onFriday 7 March and Saturday 8 March 2008 - http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CultureAndL ... efault.htm

munki

Post by munki »

'Forced Rhubarb' sounds a bit brutal. Maybe we should have a campaign to prevent this kind of thing going on? The Society for the Promotion of Unforced Rhubarb, or SPUR?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

I see the description put the 'rhubarb triangle' between Morley, Rothwell, and Wakefield, personally I think thats a bit large.I'd say the lower corner is just above Osset, the top left is just South of Morley - it just about gets over the M62 and the top East corner is somewhere around Robin Hood.There are a few forcing sheds either side of the M62 which do not quite fall into this area, but in the main, you'd say that two of the boundaries follow the M62 and the M1,

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

munki wrote: 'Forced Rhubarb' sounds a bit brutal. Maybe we should have a campaign to prevent this kind of thing going on? The Society for the Promotion of Unforced Rhubarb, or SPUR? ROFL i think the pressure of mediating this sites finally getting to you munki lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

There are forcing sheds north of Robin Hood but not much. They are to the West of the A61 (Leeds/Wakefield Road) between Robin Hood and the Whale Jaw bones on Wood Lane at Rothwell.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

stevief

Post by stevief »

The 'Rhubarb Triangle' was mentioned on 'Q.I.' last year.They said it was between Leeds,Bradford and Wakefield.Apparently it grows soquickly in the forcing sheds you can hear actually it.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

tyke bhoy wrote: There are forcing sheds north of Robin Hood but not much. They are to the West of the A61 (Leeds/Wakefield Road) between Robin Hood and the Whale Jaw bones on Wood Lane at Rothwell. I'm fairly sure you used to be able to see them from the M1 coming from the south just before the junction with the A650 (Carr Gate).Apparently the (Summer) Rhubarb crop used to be sold speculatively in advance, and fortunes could be made or lost on the crop.Well, Morley folks weren't into speculating on Pork Bellies, Coffee futures or Orange juice. So you can't really blame them. ;-)One worrying factor is that I've seen the "Rhubarb Triangle" reported as extending as far as Harrogate.That is definately "Umpty" and "Taking the Mick".
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Our allotment is largely devoted to rhubarb, and is in Leeds. It's grown unforced and needs very little attention. Some of it is eaten (rhubarb fool) but most is turned into wine.Usually we get 20-30 gallons of wine every year. Shout if you want the recipe, must be the easiest wine to make. And the cheapest. Very much an "acquired taste" i.e. disgusting, but it's free! 30 gallons = around £540 worth of wine.Rhubarb used to be grown on a large scale in Kirkstall and wild rhubarb can still be seen around the banks of the Aire near the Bridge Inn. Presumably escaped from the sheds.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

the rhubarb fields of leeds are mentioned in 'there is a happy land',by keith waterhouse.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?