The Rhubarb Triangle - where is it?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

wiggy wrote: the rhubarb fields of leeds are mentioned in 'there is a happy land',by keith waterhouse. I read that years ago. Very evocotive of my upbringing in the fifties. Along with Jubb probably his best.
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

city lights is my favorite,an exellent read for people like us,who love all things old leeds,mentioning leggards,schofields and dozens of other old firms.plus its not a novel,its a biography....i must try life after city lights next..
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Used to be rhubarb fields on Pudsey road/ Gala Bingo area, so my Ma says. Maybe this bit should be on another thread but she also calls it 'tusky'. I wonder why?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

carrotol wrote: Used to be rhubarb fields on Pudsey road/ Gala Bingo area, so my Ma says. Maybe this bit should be on another thread but she also calls it 'tusky'. I wonder why? thats the word waterhouse uses...tusky!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

wiggy wrote: carrotol wrote: Used to be rhubarb fields on Pudsey road/ Gala Bingo area, so my Ma says. Maybe this bit should be on another thread but she also calls it 'tusky'. I wonder why? thats the word waterhouse uses...tusky! I was brought up in Morley and that's what we called it. We'd go into the rhubarb fields over what we called the Rodds with a bag of sugar and pick a piece of rhubarb and dip it in the sugarand eat it. It's all gone now - built over with the houses of what's called "the bird estate" I think the rhubarb was taken in from the fields and forced in the sheds in winter. It's true that you could hear it - it used creak as it was growing. there's also a book called "The last rhubarb train" I Googled it this morning.
Industria Omnia Vincit

moggy

Post by moggy »

[quotenick="Trojan"] wiggy wrote: the rhubarb fields of leeds are mentioned in 'there is a happy land',by keith waterhouse. The tusky fields he mentions were on the edge of the miggy estate down thorpe lane happy days.

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

But why Tusky?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

carrotol wrote: But why Tusky? Who knows?Why Kayli? Why spice for sweets? Why growlers for pork pies? Why chumps for stuff you put on the bonfire?
Industria Omnia Vincit

stevief

Post by stevief »

Rhubarb leaves are poisonous!

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Ah, but Trojan, someone just might know. Then again I may be the only one who needs to know totally useless bits of info like that. And maybe there is a special name for that too like 'boringinfogeekitis'