Meanwood woods suicide

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

when I was shown this stone on a walk there a couple of years back led by Dave Wheldrake from West Yorkshire Archaeology Service,he referred to it as "The murder stone" which it is also known as.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

SteamKaos

Post by SteamKaos »

An update on this - much belated! Handcock is in Meanwood churchyard. His burial record shows him initially as "Unknown" but someone as added "Handcock" and "Sucide on 11 September" . The Grave is Row II number 1. I hope to have a wander down tomorrow. If there is a stone I will get a photograph.

tilly

Post by tilly »

SteamKaos wrote: An update on this - much belated! Handcock is in Meanwood churchyard. His burial record shows him initially as "Unknown" but someone as added "Handcock" and "Sucide on 11 September" . The Grave is Row II number 1. I hope to have a wander down tomorrow. If there is a stone I will get a photograph. Welcome to the site SteamKaos and thanks for your post.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

SteamKaos

Post by SteamKaos »

Thanks Tilly. I have browsed this site for long enough. Time I started contributing!

MWD

Post by MWD »

I've been researching this recently, and have approached the church caretaker as to the whereabouts of Hancock's grave.I too will be heading down there tomorrow to see if I can find the spot.Incidentally, if anyone would like to know where the stone in the woods is, just let me know.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

hancock's body was taken to The myrtle tavern for the inquest.The slab it was on is still in the cellar.i took part in a ghost vigil there earlier this year and his ghost is reputed to haunt it.We were the first people to do a vigil there and one of my friends who was a total sceptic up to then,distinctly heard someone walking out of the cellar after him when nobody was there which gave him a surprise !

SteamKaos

Post by SteamKaos »

Steve, we are doing another one in November.    

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

SteamKaos wrote: Steve, we are doing another one in November.     in that case i assume i know who you are<G>.Send me the date and i will see if any of my group want to come along ,or myself again.There is a seperate myrtle tavern thread on here as well.

chrispalf

Re: Meanwood woods suicide

Post by chrispalf »

Hi all. Am wanting a bit of help in finding the Hancock murder stone. When I return home to Meanwood I always have a go at finding it, but always to no avail. Went again today and still cant locate it. If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated!

cap

Re: Meanwood woods suicide

Post by cap »

I wonder who carved that into the stone, was it Henry himslef before he shot himself or was it someone to mark the spot where it happened. If it was him presumably there wouldnt have been any issues in identifying him.