Cardboard Hill

The green spaces and places of Leeds
LS13

Post by LS13 »

...was the really steep hill at the Headingley side of Woodhouse Moor, overlooking Meanwood. In the 70's the whole slope used to be covered in old cardboard boxes which were used as makeshift 'sledges', by kids who used to slide to the bottom of the hill on them. Walked past it the other day and it looks a bit worse for wear, ie certainly not a smooth slope anymore, but I suppose a few decades worth of kids bombing down on boxes does nothing for the quality of the surface! sad to say, there were no young 'boxers' when I passed, probably all sat in front of their PS3s...

LS13

Post by LS13 »

Sorry--meant to say Woodhouse Ridge not Moor.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Last year I had the pleasure of walking to and from work along the ridge and by the look of it the practise still goes on!Not only split open boxes but bakery trays as well. Maybe it's just that the studentification has even spread to the Bentleys (bang goes another school) and there just aren't as many kids in the area.

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

This reminded me of takin sledges, or cardboard, onto Armley park. But thinking about the park now, there aren't any slopes that steep. When did they disappear? And how come I never noticed?

fred1935

Post by fred1935 »

carrotol wrote: This reminded me of takin sledges, or cardboard, onto Armley park. But thinking about the park now, there aren't any slopes that steep. When did they disappear? And how come I never noticed? Surely you mean Gotts Park, I can't ever remember slopes in Armley Park, unless it was going down to the canal, I seem to remember it was mostly wooded though.Mind I've not been on any of the two for more years than I care to remember, 50? lol.
EX, Goole. Leeds, Normanton, Adelaide, Normanton, Keighley.    Armley Lad

Sthenno

Post by Sthenno »

rikj wrote: Last year I had the pleasure of walking to and from work along the ridge and by the look of it the practise still goes on!Not only split open boxes but bakery trays as well. Maybe it's just that the studentification has even spread to the Bentleys (bang goes another school) and there just aren't as many kids in the area. I'd venture that it might be the students who are the ones carrying the practice on? At 24, I'm certainly not adverse to a bit of sliding down hills on various pieces of household debris!

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

You could be right Fred but I seem to remember it was around the area where the football pitches are now