Pudsey Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

On page 20 of today's YEP there is a report (with some images) on work that is going on to the Pudsey Roller in a 10-year project funded by the Pudsey Roller Restoration Fund.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

trophy

Post by trophy »

i can remember seeing it working at the top of valley road probably early fifties?

Si

Post by Si »

There is now a "Friends of the Pudsey Roller" site, which gives some history of the steamroller, such as it was built by Fowler's of Hunslet in 1921, and was once called 'Majestic.' There's also a link to a Facebook page - "Did you play on the Pudsey roller?" and even merchandise.

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Leodian wrote: On page 20 of today's YEP there is a report (with some images) on work that is going on to the Pudsey Roller in a 10-year project funded by the Pudsey Roller Restoration Fund.
The longer we live the older we get

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Uno Hoo wrote: Mick_SGC wrote: The steam roller is like the "Big wooden snake" I remember it but other people did not....I also remember it being filled with crisp packets! This is between 85 to 87. Blimey! I'm impressed that you took the trouble to count 'em! Sorry about the above post!!!!! I meant to post a smile on Uno Hoo's remark
The longer we live the older we get

book

Post by book »

Yorkshireranger wrote: Well alright not my claim to fame!!how about getting a lift from Geoff Capes(Worlds Strongest Man),when I was hitchhicking- also got a lift from Glasgow by the Manchester based band Sweet Sensation (Sad Sweet Dreamer)now thats worth a claim surely!!!! It's just one of those things you put down to experience
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I, too, remember the steam roller full of crisp packets from my childhood in the early '80s -- I may have to go and see it if/when it's restored.Did Pudsey park have a paddling pool or am I getting it mixed up with somewhere else?

Si

Post by Si »

BarFly wrote: I, too, remember the steam roller full of crisp packets from my childhood in the early '80s -- I may have to go and see it if/when it's restored.Did Pudsey park have a paddling pool or am I getting it mixed up with somewhere else? Yes, but way back. It was at the Woolworth's/bus station end. It was filled in and later became a skate park.Funny how so many people remember the funnel full of crisp packets!    

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

When you say "way back" before 1980? If so then my mind has been playing tricks [again].Don't get me started on skate parks turning up 10 to 15 years after we asked for them...

Si

Post by Si »

BarFly wrote: When you say "way back" before 1980? Definately before then. The last time I can remember it was mid 60s I think.