Pudsey Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Yorkshireranger wrote: My claim to fame is that I made one of the spiral slides in Pudsey Park, I was a sheetmetal worker back in the seventies, the slides were made by Metal Formers, who were located in the Farnley Fireclay Yard, just off Whitehall Road. Sorry to tell you this mate but it's recently been refurbished and all the old stuff has gone. Fortunately they have done a good job with the new park, we took the kids up a couple of weeks ago and they loved it.

Yorkshireranger

Post by Yorkshireranger »

Well alright not my claim to fame!!how about getting a lift from Geoff Capes(Worlds Strongest Man),when I was hitchhicking- also got a lift from Glasgow by the Manchester based band Sweet Sensation (Sad Sweet Dreamer)now thats worth a claim surely!!!!

D2G

Post by D2G »

If you venture into the bird house in pudsey park there are articles stuck on the walls with a couple of pictures and some info on the steam roller and other things that were/are in the park. Does anyone remember the horse and ducks that used to be in the animal area below the bird house (its now mainly filled with rabbits)

Yorkshire Pud

Post by Yorkshire Pud »

D2G wrote: If you venture into the bird house in pudsey park there are articles stuck on the walls with a couple of pictures and some info on the steam roller and other things that were/are in the park. Does anyone remember the horse and ducks that used to be in the animal area below the bird house (its now mainly filled with rabbits) Hello all on Secret Leeds, been reading through loads of interesting threads on this site for a while now & thought it about time I posted something, so hear goes!I remember the steam roller & played on it as a kid, apparently it is currently in the process of being restored & is supposed to be re-located back to pudsey park at some point.The steam roller was on show at the Owlcoates Centre last summer before it was taken to be restored. It didn't look very good, all rusty & the roof was completly missing.I also remember the horse (or pony) that they had in pets corner, but the rabbits haven't been there for a while now as they have knocked down the pets corner and are going to be building another pets corner. The avairy is closed as well at the moment, as that in currently undergoing a re-vamp. Supposed to all be completed this September.
Change is inevitable, but never from a vending machine!

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

The steam roller is like the "Big wooden snake" I remember it but other people did not....I also remember it being filled with crisp packets! This is between 85 to 87.
I'll be back (arnie)

Yorkshire Pud

Post by Yorkshire Pud »

Does anybody remenber the Crazy Golf, that used to be in the park, a bit further up from the bowling green? You used to get your golf clubs and a ball from a building which is near the bowling green, but now only seems to have the canopy bit of it left.There was also a small stone lion on the edge of the steps at the side of the bowling green which I liked to sit on as a kid, which is now no longer there. I also remember the shelters which used to be at the main entrance to the park, which is sort of where the skate park bit is now.    
Change is inevitable, but never from a vending machine!

D2G

Post by D2G »

We used to come up from Rodley to the park, i remember climbing to the top of the spiral slide, getting scared and crying til mum came up and removed me. well it was pretty high!

Si

Post by Si »

Thought I'd ressurrect this old thread to see if any new members of the forum have any news of Pudsey Park's steam roller.Apparently, it is now in Farnley, where it is supposedly being restored. In 2007 (when this pic was taken), it was going to cost between 20K and 30K, and would take up to 10 years to complete. Anyone know of it's present condition?    
Attachments
__TFMF_0rded5uqq4rbgluloabpv031_de3c4c72-6d95-42ce-9df4-426f011b33c0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0rded5uqq4rbgluloabpv031_de3c4c72-6d95-42ce-9df4-426f011b33c0_0_main.jpg (445.16 KiB) Viewed 3044 times

Si

Post by Si »

This picture dates from 1959 when the steam roller was first put in Pudsey Park. I can remember when it still had the canopy, in the mid 60s.
Attachments
__TFMF_fzoj3oepfomc3m45roj4x0fk_9622fe84-d3f9-4c2c-a001-3ec0c37679cf_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fzoj3oepfomc3m45roj4x0fk_9622fe84-d3f9-4c2c-a001-3ec0c37679cf_0_main.jpg (21.16 KiB) Viewed 3044 times

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Mick_SGC wrote: The steam roller is like the "Big wooden snake" I remember it but other people did not....I also remember it being filled with crisp packets! This is between 85 to 87. Blimey! I'm impressed that you took the trouble to count 'em!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.