Pudsey Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Si

Post by Si »

Does anyone remember the steamroller in Pudsey Park? I used to play on it as a kid (early sixties) but heard it was removed as it was full of asbestos.CheersSi

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Hi SiI used to play on it too (early eighties). I don't know why it was removed but it was stored for a while out of sight in Farnley Park. There has been a few things in the YEP about it lately because it's been taken away to get restored.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi FarnleyBloke, Are they restoring it to put back in the park (Pudsey or Farnley?) or to working order? I'd have thought it was too far gone! Did it still have the roof/canopy in the eighties? I remember the funnel was always stuffed with Seabrook crisp bags, and you could climb through the firebox.CheersSi

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Yeah, I used to play on that when I was a kid - remember climbing through the firebox and messing with the controls. Happy days those, why was it taken to Farnley Park - I used to play cricket on there, and don't recall a steam engine workshop!! There were some huts round the back of Farnley Hall I seem to remember, would it be fixed there?

Si

Post by Si »

I also remember there was a "clown's hat" in Pudsey Park. There were two big slides, too. One had a red wooden "hut" at the top, and the other had a "bump" halfway down. Rumour had it that this one was widened when the bump threw someone off to their death. The swinging beams would also give a modern-day Health & Safety officer nightmares!!!

Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

I remember the steam roller at Pudsey park (or was it a traction engine?) I always used to go and play on it before having a quick go on the climbing frame tank and then on to see the animals. This would be mid to late Eighties. Good times had by all, if I was good I could get a Juicy Lucy too!

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

I used to play on it too! on the odd occasion i visited pudsey park my mate got stuck in it once that's when we decided we were too big to play on it anymore!
Love a Landrover

simonm

Post by simonm »

so many people seems to have played on that steam engine.. Aye, me included! Always too scared to go into the fire box as a kid, afterr seeing one fat lad get a bit stuck lol
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Si wrote: I also remember there was a "clown's hat" in Pudsey Park. There were two big slides, too. One had a red wooden "hut" at the top, and the other had a "bump" halfway down. Rumour had it that this one was widened when the bump threw someone off to their death. The swinging beams would also give a modern-day Health & Safety officer nightmares!!! Was the clowns hat what we used to call 'the umbrella'? Big pointy thing that everyone sat around and crashed towards the middle. I remember it being lifted off a few times when older kids were on it. I wonder if there were any broken legs caused by it. Speaking of Pudsey Park,,, has anyone been there recently? It seems to have all been stolen

jane666

Post by jane666 »

i went past today, thought there was something missing! loads of kids on bmx's, think the little kiosk was still open.
Get in the tardis. We're off to Manchester 1973