A short stone slabs footbridge over Nanny Beck, Alwoodley.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Leodian

A short stone slabs footbridge over Nanny Beck, Alwoodley.

Post by Leodian »

Close to the Slabbering/Slavering/Babbling Baby spring in Adel Woods there is a track that crosses Nanny Beck and then quickly passes a small pool. The way over Nanny Beck is by a short footbridge which may class as a clapper bridge as it is made from stone slabs.The footbridge and the pool are marked on maps as far back as at least 1893. As walked-on stone slabs will eventually fail at some stage I wonder if anyone knows how long the current slabs have been there? I walk in the area fairly often but I don't recall ever seeing what looked like new slabs, but I have probably just never noticed.

I took the photo of the footbridge on August 15 2016. The view is looking across Nanny Beck to the area where the just out of view spring is on the left. The beck runs left to right in this view and very soon joins Adel Beck.
StoneSlabsFootbridgeOverNannyBeckAlwoodleyLeedsAug152016.jpg
StoneSlabsFootbridgeOverNannyBeckAlwoodleyLeedsAug152016.jpg (178.73 KiB) Viewed 7531 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

sparky415

Re: A short stone slabs footbridge over Nanny Beck, Alwoodley.

Post by sparky415 »

The pond actually silted up for many many years, almost vanished and then was re-dug about 30 odd years ago.....thats if i've got the right place...
Come on Leeds United!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

sparky415 wrote:The pond actually silted up for many many years, almost vanished and then was re-dug about 30 odd years ago.....thats if i've got the right place...
Hi sparky415 :).

That is probably right as this small pool does silt up. It was cleared just a few years back but soon began to get overgrown. This is a photo that I took on July 6 2016.

Talking of this pool it used to have frogs, then frogspawn, then tadpoles, but I've not seen any for the last 3 or 4 years. I also used to see a few newts but even they seem to have disappeared.
PoolAdelWoodDrainsToNannyBeckJuly62016.jpg
PoolAdelWoodDrainsToNannyBeckJuly62016.jpg (189.07 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

hi, yes, that pond was completely filled in up until about 30years ago......then it was dug out....up until that point there was nothing there to suggest it was a pond....I remember the drinking fountain just over the beck fromthere.....
Come on Leeds United!