Roundhay Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

This 1910 map shows the maze where the cricket pavillion now is. I'm quite sure I remember it where I've put a red rectangle, am I right? 1956 Map     
Attachments
__TFMF_guqotq55h4x4abykmxb0th55_eccb2cd0-8ecc-41c8-b5d6-3fc61508948f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_guqotq55h4x4abykmxb0th55_eccb2cd0-8ecc-41c8-b5d6-3fc61508948f_0_main.jpg (100.96 KiB) Viewed 2348 times

-_Phil_-

Post by -_Phil_- »

That's exactly where I remember it being Mick. Brilliant map.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I think the Cricket pavilion and maze co-existed so it's likely the maze was just slightly further south than where the pavilion is. If you look on the last map it says "Pav" above where it states "Sports Ground"

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

It was there early 1970'sThink maze removed following Yorks Ripper.. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/roundhay/coursea nice little 5k (3 miles in old money).

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

hicklingmick wrote: if you were stood in the arena the maze was to the right of the pavilion Certainly was and I think Ian will join me in saying many an 'inocent' found it the hard way during the West Riding Track League events.That bottom corner is a much smaller radius than the top one thus determined individuals piling on the pressure for a sprint finish in front of the pavillion would not infrequently find they left the track there, and rejoined it after the finishing line - and an impromptu trip round the back of the maze. Nobody with any sense ever sat or stood at that corner during race meetings!

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi chameleon,Yes, I remember it well. When I raced on the track, it was on Tuesday evenings. The start/finish line for each lap was infront of the pavillion. This meant that on the finishing lap of any event from 400m+, you were speeding up for the final sprint as you went along the bottom of Hill 60 for the last time, but had to be careful due to the tightness of the bend, just before the finishing straight. I saw many crashes on that bend but I was lucky and it never happened to me. As you say, if you took the wrong line of approach and were going too fast, you went straight of the track. Another thing was that the banking was not all that steep. It was even worse when it was wet.They were happy days though.Ian