Lost Cemeteries

The green spaces and places of Leeds
pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

Thanks Steve J, Blakey, LS1,I should have got off my ring to look at earlier posts.When I was a kid we used to go train spotting at Farnley sheds and swipe tuskey in a field behind its massive coal bunker.Next to this field was a cemetery known as the Jews Graveyard which always seemed to have a bloke patroling it.Is this the same cemetery LS1, BIG N and Tarkus are refering?I've been away from Leeds for nearly 40 years so my geography orientation is stuffed.I hope I dont get dobbed in to the wrong thread police.Cheers boysAndy

Hector

Post by Hector »

The re was a big cholear outbreak in 1832 but it continued to be a problem right up into the 1880s. At the risk of going off on a tangent (I shall start a new thread on the subject) there was an isolation hosptal built on the Ivy House Estate, York Road. This was later replaced by Seacroft hospital.So, there will bound to be cholera victims in Leeds graveyards.

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

pashy2 wrote: Is this the same cemetery LS1, BIG N and Tarkus are refering? It is indeed Andy, if you zoom out on the link I posted of the airial photo you can see the triangle where Farnley shed stood, next is a field and then the cemetery.

Hector

Post by Hector »

Apparently, the first Jewish cemetry in Leeds was created in 1840, but I do not know where. Relating to an earlier message, about the class system in cemetries very true and obvious.Can anyone explain why in Harehill Cemetery (may also be the case elsewhere) that athere a number of war graves that are not part of the War Graves Commission plot. Instead they are dotted about and appear to be private burials, but have military insignia which prhaps suggests they are not. Can clear up this confusion.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Hector wrote: Apparently, the first Jewish cemetry in Leeds was created in 1840, but I do not know where.     It's the one down Gelderd Road, the one furthest away from Leeds that was the original. Land bought from the Earl of Cardigan i beleive, the one of later Light Brigade Charge fame....Don't know if you can get it on the attached, but the bit in red is original one.
Attachments
__TFMF_mgw2wk45rujlbf4520whmb45_e073c2f9-0268-4928-8afb-c0dc09f3ab40_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_mgw2wk45rujlbf4520whmb45_e073c2f9-0268-4928-8afb-c0dc09f3ab40_0_main.jpg (146.4 KiB) Viewed 2638 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

The 1906 map show a congregational chapel with Burial ground on Upper Wortley Road just north of the juction with Oldfield Lane, and 'the Oldfields' terraces on the corner. these are now cleared and replaced with the Kitsons. I think the Chapel plot and burial ground are the open green space between the houses and the fence of Fiveways primary school.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The following messages have been combined here from two other threads:Leeds HippoUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 04-Jul-2010 19:29:15Posted: 551 posts # Posted on: 02-Mar-2012 19:09:38.    Edit | Quote I find graveyards fascinating places and following Steevo's thread about a lost graveyard in Wortley - I wondered if anyone had any others. I'm sure the people who live in houses built on these graveyards would be interested!Bethal Chapel Graveyard - WortleyLeeds HippoUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 04-Jul-2010 19:29:15Posted: 551 posts # Posted on: 02-Mar-2012 19:37:43.    Delete | Edit | Quote Chapel Hill, Morleyhttp://g.co/maps/qwkfd-----------------------------LeodianUser Locationtion: LeedsJoined on: 10-Jun-2010 12:33:50Posted: 1676 posts # Posted on: 28-Feb-2012 21:59:07.     Edit | Quote While perusing the Old-Maps UK website I happened to spot a burial ground that was at least named in the 1891 and 1893 maps but, if there then, was not named in the 1850 and 1854 maps. The 'photo' is taken from the 1:2500 1893 map and shows the burial ground between Water Lane and Great Wilson Street.I wonder if anyone knows if the graves were reintered at some stage or simply built over. If the latter is the case then the site would seem to be about where the ASDA HQ is.     geoffbUserLocation: Joined on: 23-Feb-2007 14:23:13Posted: 223 posts # Posted on: 29-Feb-2012 09:46:09.    Delete | Edit | Quote I don't know if this is connected but there was a memorial stone at Christ Church at the junction with Meadow Lane and Great Wilson St, this was for the cholera victims of the outbreak in the mid 1800s. I cant remember the exact wording but they were buried locally, maybe the victims were interred in this cemetery. cnosniAdministrator Location: LeedsJoined on: 28-Mar-2007 21:17:06Posted: 3179 posts # Posted on: 29-Feb-2012 11:38:33.    Delete | Edit | Quote There is a "Friends Meeting House" next to the burial ground,"Friends" being Quakers,so it is quite probably the burial ground for the Quakers. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/ Top TasaAdministrator Location: Headingley, LeedsJoined on: 08-Oct-2007 15:41:52Posted: 528 posts # Posted on: 29-Feb-2012 11:40:29.    Delete | Edit | Quote It was a 17th century Quaker burial ground attached to the Friends' Meeting House, known as Camp Hill Court.According to this history of Leeds Quakers, the gravestones were moved to Adel and laid face down (not sure why this would be - possibly because the bodies were not moved with them?).http://www.leedsquakers.co.uk/meetings/_adel-history    LS1User Location: LeedsJoined on: 23-Jul-2007 13:00:30Posted: 1503 posts # Posted on: 29-Feb-2012 12:51:18.    Delete | Edit | Quote ASDA House is slap bang over it now. Interestingly some of the Nicholsons of Roundhay park were buried there. LeodianUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Jun-2010 12:33:50Posted: 1676 posts # Posted on: 29-Feb-2012 13:44:16.    Delete | Edit | Quote Thanks all for the information. I wonder how many of the people at ASDA HQ know what might be beneath them!     sirjohnUser Location: Joined on: 21-Apr-2008 23:30:48Posted: 83 posts # Posted on: 02-Mar-2012 00:02:56.    Delete | Edit | Quote OMG. I knew about the quaker meeting house but the possibility of a burial ground never crossed my mind. My desk is directly on the first floor above where the bodies might be.I will let you know if we get any strange voices through the white noise on our TV sets. Often the furniture in the restaurant rearranges itself, however this is less to do with poltergeist activity and more to do with sloppy cleaning staff.As far as I know there is no basement. cnosniAdministrator Location: LeedsJoined on: 28-Mar-2007 21:17:06Posted: 3179 posts # Posted on: 02-Mar-2012 14:46:45.    Delete | Edit | Quote sirjohn wrote: OMG. I knew about the quaker meeting house but the possibility of a burial ground never crossed my mind. My desk is directly on the first floor above where the bodies might be.I will let you know if we get any strange voices through the white noise on our TV sets. Often the furniture in the restaurant rearranges itself, however this is less to do with poltergeist activity and more to do with sloppy cleaning staff.As far as I know there is no basement. as far as you know......... http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/ Top JogonUser Location: HeadingleyJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 565 posts # Posted on: 02-Mar-2012 15:39:57.    Delete | Edit | Quote Then there was the Tetley's bore holes down into the local water table which gave said Ale it's sturdy, moderate 'body'..Good god, Staveley    CardiarmsUser Location: Joined on: 21-Oct-2008 13:00:01Posted: 1970 posts # Posted on: 02-Mar-2012 16:14:33.    Delete | Edit | Quote Next time I see Quakers on the shelf in Asda I'll look on them in a different light. LeodianUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Jun-2010 12:33:50Posted: 1676 posts # Posted on: 02-Mar-2012 19:48:13.    Delete | Edit | Quote Didn't ASDA start out as Graven Dairies. Sorry for that awful pun. JogonUser Location: HeadingleyJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 565 posts # Posted on: 03-Mar-2012 16:56:23.    Delete | Edit | Quote LeoSuch a pun was a 'grave' mistake..May we have you 'undertaking' not to repeat[Ed that's enough] Good god, Staveley Top LeodianUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 10-Jun-2010 12:33:50Posted: 1676 posts # Posted on: 03-Mar-2012 19:15:29.    Delete | Edit | Quote Jogon wrote: LeoSuch a pun was a 'grave' mistake..May we have you 'undertaking' not to repeat[Ed that's enough] I was dying to think of something to add here but I could

Caron

Post by Caron »

BLAKEY wrote: The old Woodhouse Cemetery is behind the University student flats on Clarendon Road (east end, formerly Reservoir Street).The gravestones have all been laid flat and made into footpaths I think.    Despite living in Leeds (and being born other side of The Moor) I didn't know of its existence till I examined the grave of some of my ancestors in Bridlington. On the side of the kerbstone was carved "and Wlliam Y***** aged 2 years interred at Leeds." As they had lived in Carlton Hill this explains it - the little chap had passed in 1889, two months before my Dad was born - poor Gran, we can't imagine what they had to endure in those days.I found the little lad's entry in the register, viewable by appointment in the University libraries, but although I located the area where all those buried on his date and just after, no mention on a stone.This confirms the awful practice of infants being simply buried with a stranger if necessary. Very sad, and at least some things have improved to grant a bit of dignity. I'm new to SL so just found this thread.My sister moved to Belle Vue Rd some years ago and "found" the old Woodhouse cemetery stones by chance. We would go and have a read of them. Some really old one's. Really interesting. We called it the dead body park as we'd go sit in there with the little uns when it was sunny. Anyway, thanks for the information as I have a memory that's useless and couldn't for the life of me remember where it was-now I know

tilly

Post by tilly »

There was a grave vard on your left has you turned on to Bankhouse Lane from the Pudey end.Its now a cluster of new houses, there is no way they would build on top of bodies this goes for any grave yard.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Maybe someone can help me?I spent some time last night reading up on St George's field and it mentioned the circus owner, Pablo Fanque, (of Sgt Pepper fame) and his wife.Were they both buried there?Also, I was saddened to read comments on the Leodis site re family who had found out family members had been burried there and naturally, their graves were gone.Didn't the council try at least to find any living relatives of the deceased? I was rather disgusted at the lack of respect shown by Leeds council.