Water Lane Holbeck

The green spaces and places of Leeds
cnosni
Site Admin

Re: Water Lane Holbeck

Post by cnosni »

j.c.d. wrote:Don;t understand how Holbeck Cemetery can be classed as in Beeston as the new boundary is the M.621 and the old boundary used to be more or less Elland Road., plus the Bulls Head in St Mathews Street is classed as in Holbeck when it is at the side of the Cemetery.
Maybe there is some simple answer I am missing.

As it happens, having been living in Beeston for years in 1960 I bought a house in Burlington Place, more or less opposite Cross Flatts Park and was verysurprised when I got the deeds to find it was classed as being in Hunslet which at that time was looked on as an Industrial area.
Well the old Clarence a Dock or as it's now known "New Dock" and it's immediate environs are classed as Hunslet, so work that one out!

The issue with there's instances of where places actually are and their seemingly out of place official location is not so much down to physical barriers like roads but is down to electoral wards and their respective boundaries that were drawn up in the 19th century and subsequently adjusted in following years.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

edlong

Post by edlong »

He was a generous benefactor and founded the Leeds Music Festival in 1874.
Blimey! Had no idea it had been going that long. Does anyone know who headlined that first year? I bet it was sodding Metallica..

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

edlong wrote:
He was a generous benefactor and founded the Leeds Music Festival in 1874.
Blimey! Had no idea it had been going that long. Does anyone know who headlined that first year? I bet it was sodding Metallica..
Close :lol: but it was actually Michael Costa (nothing to do with coffee neither)

:arrow:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?