Water Lane Holbeck

The green spaces and places of Leeds
urban rambler

Water Lane Holbeck

Post by urban rambler »

Does anyone know of a green 'square' in this area which may have had a prominent statue in the middle. Around 1956 period. A relative lived at 147 Water Lane at the time, and a visiting grandchild at the time remembers the square but no details. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

cnosni
Site Admin

Re: Water Lane Holbeck

Post by cnosni »

Sorry PAl, North Leeds lad at the time so cant help
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

urban rambler wrote:Does anyone know of a green 'square' in this area which may have had a prominent statue in the middle. Around 1956 period. A relative lived at 147 Water Lane at the time, and a visiting grandchild at the time remembers the square but no details. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou
I can't help re "a green square" but there is a photo of 147 Water Lane on Leodis

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Attachments
Water Lane 147.jpg
Water Lane 147.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 5410 times

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I thought I knew Holbeck area from the 1950s onwards pretty well but did not recall this area with a statue so I consulted my pal John Dukes who lived and worked in Holbeck most of his life, including a lengthy spell as an Holbeck postman and he does not remember anything on these lines.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I don't know of any green spaces in Holbeck apart from the Bowling Green in the Cambrians and of course Holbeck Moor itself.

The only statue I know of is in Holbeck Cemetery which is actually in Beeston.

:arrow:

This elaborate, Grade II listed monument stands in Holbeck Cemetery and commemorates Henry Rowland Marsden who was born in Holbeck in 1823, He was a generous benefactor and founded the Leeds Music Festival in 1874. Marsden was Mayor of Leeds in 1873 and 1874. He is also noted for his invention of a stone crusher, an example of which can be seen at Thwaite Mill.
A statue of Henry Rowland Marsden can be seen on Woodhouse Moor. This memorial also commemorates his father John Marsden 1793-1875, his mother Maria, 1793-1869, his wife Sarah 1826-1909, and five of his children who all died in 1865.

Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I think the statue on Woodhouse Moor was moved from the Albion St. junction up behind Lewis's. I remember there was a motor car showroom also on the junction.

The Cemetery / statue seems the most likeliest place for the youngsters recollection .

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

Thanks anyway folks. It was 60 years ago!!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Don;t understand how Holbeck Cemetery can be classed as in Beeston as the new boundary is the M.621 and the old boundary used to be more or less Elland Road., plus the Bulls Head in St Mathews Street is classed as in Holbeck when it is at the side of the Cemetery.
Maybe there is some simple answer I am missing.

As it happens, having been living in Beeston for years in 1960 I bought a house in Burlington Place, more or less opposite Cross Flatts Park and was verysurprised when I got the deeds to find it was classed as being in Hunslet which at that time was looked on as an Industrial area.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

A little before your time JCD but Holbeck Cemetery (Beeston Road) in Beeston opened in 1857 and closed to general burials in the 1940s.
The opening coincided with the closing of the graveyard at St Matthew’s church near Holbeck Moor.
This was a period when other municipal cemeteries were opening & Holbeck was the third to opened in the then township of Leeds after Beckett Street and Hunslet.
Holbeck Cemetery is opposite Cross Flatts Park with the entrance on Fairfax Road

Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

buffaloskinner wrote:A little before your time JCD but Holbeck Cemetery (Beeston Road) in Beeston opened in 1857 and closed to general burials in the 1940s.
The opening coincided with the closing of the graveyard at St Matthew’s church near Holbeck Moor.
This was a period when other municipal cemeteries were opening & Holbeck was the third to opened in the then township of Leeds after Beckett Street and Hunslet.
Holbeck Cemetery is opposite Cross Flatts Park with the entrance on Fairfax Road

Thanks for that information, what a Do nut I am, I must have passed that place thousands of times and never knew that.