Ex.YORKSHIRE BANK SPORTSFIELD

The green spaces and places of Leeds
User avatar
Brunel
PostsCOLON 1065
JoinedCOLON Thu 20 Mar, 2008 12:34 pm

Ex.YORKSHIRE BANK SPORTSFIELD

Postby Brunel » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 3:08 pm

Another green space disappearing under housing.

Not quite all of it, some of the space is reserved for an "Urban Park"

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.84503 ... z?hl=en-GB


Image
User avatar
tyke bhoy
PostsCOLON 2116
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Feb, 2007 4:48 am
LocationCOLON Leeds/Wakefield
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Ex.YORKSHIRE BANK SPORTSFIELD

Postby tyke bhoy » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 3:20 pm

Twas where Sports Day was held at my primary school. Going back over 40 years since I was involved though. Other than sports day and swimming lessons I can't remember any other physical activity during school time.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthouse

http://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Brunel
PostsCOLON 1065
JoinedCOLON Thu 20 Mar, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Ex.YORKSHIRE BANK SPORTSFIELD

Postby Brunel » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 5:34 pm

http://tinyurl.com/kgrkssb

Moortown Park

The planning application to build up 29 new homes on the former Yorkshire Bank Playing Fields site received planning approval the other week. Over a number of months now I have been working with the Moortown Councillors, community representatives, Scotfield Developments and the Planners over development proposals trying to ensure that any new building was appropriate, that part of the site could become a public amenity and that proposed changes were also agreed by local residents

Only about 28% of the site will be occupied by housing, the remaining 72% will be a public park, gifted to the Council for the benefit of the local community. Of the houses to be built, four will be of the type designated as 'affordable' and boundary vegetation will be retained. There will be a wetland wildlife feature as well as sports pitches including space for sports by pupils of Moortown Primary school.

This has been a very controversial site over the past sixteen years, but if nothing had been agreed this time, the site could have been left derelict and unusable for another sixteen years. I am pleased that a good compromise has been reached. We badly need more homes and many people aspire to live in North Leeds. At the same time we cannot lightly allow green spaces to disappear as they are so important in raising the quality of life in urban areas. Our grandparents and great grandparents knew this when the tradition of establishing public parks gave the green spaces in our cities that we value so much today. It would be hard to imagine Leeds without Roundhay or Potternewton Parks. The development of the Yorkshire Bank Playing Fields site will become part of that civic tradition and I sincerely hope that it will benefit local residents for generations to come.

With my very best wishes to you all.

Yours sincerely,

Fabian Hamilton

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1 and 0 guests