"Speaker's Stone" - Burley Park, Leeds

The green spaces and places of Leeds
RogerM

Post by RogerM »

My maternal grandfather, Thomas Durant (1877-195 was a minor Labour politician in NW Leeds. I have a photo of him campaigning - he is standing on an upright stone in what I believe was Burley Park. Can anyone on this forum please provide information about the stone. I have done search on the internet but have been unable to find any reference to its history.TIA

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Welcome aboard Roger.It's the weekend + holiday so give it time, someone on here might. ps1958? 8 followed by brackedt gives that sunglasses thingy

Bugblatter

Post by Bugblatter »

Are you able to post the picture in question? I spent a fair portion of my childhood in Burley Park so I might be able to recognise the location.
Leeds born and bred

RogerM

Post by RogerM »

Thanks for the welcome and replies - I may be a bit slow in responding to any information that comes in over the next few weeks. I confirm that the date was supposed to be 1958I have tried to load the picture - hope it comes out ok to view on this Forum.Looking at the photo again I'm not sure if this is Burley Park as there looks like to be a 'bowstring' type railway bridge in the background - I believe there were some bridges like this on the main line near Kirkstall Power Station.
Attachments
T_Durant#01.jpg
T_Durant#01.jpg (826.69 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

Bugblatter

Post by Bugblatter »

Hmmm. The bridge in the background could be the footbridge from the park over the railway line to Cardigan Road. The block of stone doesn't ring a bell though. I will do a bit of poking about on bing.com "bird's eye view" and possibly leodis.net!
Leeds born and bred

Bugblatter

Post by Bugblatter »

This is the best pic of the bridge I can find: https://www.flickr.com/photos/75850763@ ... 64Courtesy Eric Miles FlickR collection.
Leeds born and bred

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Click the map for the full size.Drinking fountains and a bandstand where on the park at one time.
Attachments
burley.JPG
burley.JPG (0 Bytes) Viewed 3348 times
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Bugblatter

Post by Bugblatter »

Another pic in which you can see the arch structures which resemble those in the original photo:https://www.flickr.com/photos/75850763@N03/13433043385
Leeds born and bred

Bugblatter

Post by Bugblatter »

N.B. The "@" symbol in the web address seems to be confusing the forum software. You will need to copy and paste the full text into the address bar.
Leeds born and bred

Carona

Post by Carona »

Hi Roger. I'm a Burley lass born n bred and belong to the site "Burley Group". Some members know Burley like the back of their hands. Mind you, after saying that I am not implying the guys on this site don't know their stuff cos believe me they do