West Riding Sports Ground Meanwood Road

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is taken from the 1891 1 to 500 map in the Old-Maps UK website. It looks to have been a large cricket ground!
Attachments
18911To500.jpg
18911To500.jpg (60.68 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Right behind my first school!Well done Parksider and Leo.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

A decent sized crowd of 22,000
Attachments
Eng v Ie.png
Eng v Ie.png (146.58 KiB) Viewed 3365 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Geordie-exile wrote: Yes, that would be behind the baths. Any link parksider? Leo has the link beautifully.Other old venues Leo may like to link us to include Armley's ground on the recce ground by the park. Old maps will show that had a stand.Leeds Parish Churches venue by the river, these boys were set to be the biggest club in Leeds.The mother of all old grounds is Cardigan Fields hosting many a cup final with the teams playing alternatively towards the river end or the "Citadel" end.Straight question for a virtual Ceegar - what "Citadel"??

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Geordie-exile wrote: Right behind my first school!Well done Parksider and Leo. Well done Leo and Uncle mick with his extrardinary clippings that bring everything to light.Trick now is to work out how you accommodate 22,000 around a local cricket pitch with no terraces and no stands??This being the biggest question of them all???How did they do it??, a years supply of virtual ceegars for that one!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The Parksider wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: Right behind my first school!Well done Parksider and Leo. Well done Leo and Uncle mick with his extrardinary clippings that bring everything to light.Trick now is to work out how you accommodate 22,000 around a local cricket pitch with no terraces and no stands??This being the biggest question of them all???How did they do it??, a years supply of virtual ceegars for that one! The Leeds Mercury 3rd Feb 1896. Parksider - It appears that most of the crowd "had fleeting glimpses"
Attachments
Eng v IRE c.jpg
Eng v IRE c.jpg (163.8 KiB) Viewed 3365 times

tackler7

Post by tackler7 »

The Parksider wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: Right behind my first school!Well done Parksider and Leo. Well done Leo and Uncle mick with his extrardinary clippings that bring everything to light.Trick now is to work out how you accommodate 22,000 around a local cricket pitch with no terraces and no stands??This being the biggest question of them all???How did they do it??, a years supply of virtual ceegars for that one! It did have a stand, which was later taken to be used at Morley's ground for a Yorkshire Cup final. Ideally I am wanting photos of the ground but have drawn a blank (including with the RFU) but now thanks to this thread and its posters I have a better idea of where the ground was located.If anyone has photos or maps of any of the other Victorian era rugby grounds in Leeds I would be very interested to see them - either on here or by email - just add @yahoo.com to my username.Thank you.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

tackler7 wrote: It did have a stand, which was later taken to be used at Morley's ground for a Yorkshire Cup final. Ideally I am wanting photos of the ground but have drawn a blank (including with the RFU) but now thanks to this thread and its posters I have a better idea of where the ground was located.If anyone has photos or maps of any of the other Victorian era rugby grounds in Leeds I would be very interested to see them - either on here or by email - just add @yahoo.com to my username.Thank you. Hi Tackler,Sorry I dunno how to lift abstracts of Maps and put them on here, but the 1893 OS has..Leeds Parish Church RFC ground Clarence roadArmley RFC ground Pasture HillsWortley RFC ground Oldfield Lane.....If anyone can show you these on here - stands 'n' all, I'll dig more up.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Clarence Road    http://tinyurl.com/lzljqroArmley RFC        http://tinyurl.com/ohxmfgu (marked as cricket ground)Wortley RFC        http://tinyurl.com/l6q7c5f (marked as cricket ground)Hope these are correct Parksider, the best thing about these maps are that you just drag & click to move around    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

To add to uncle mick's excellent links I thought I would add this that I have taken from the 1893 1:2,500 map in the Old-Maps UK website that shows the Clarence Road ground and also 2 other very close cricket grounds. Clicking on the paper clip icon should allow a larger version of the image to be downloaded.As an aside I wonder if there is any story behind the 'Black Dog Mills' name? PS added shortly after posting. I've now noticed on the opposite side of the map that there is a Black Bull Street!
Attachments
18931to2500CricketGrounds.jpg
18931to2500CricketGrounds.jpg (205.46 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.