Woodhouse Feast / Armley Feast etc.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
JanCee

Post by JanCee »

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Never really thought at it JanCee - seem to be called 'Fairs' every where else, but always feast, where ever they were in Leeds.Do you remember Billy Smart's Circus too at Woodhouse? Coco the Clown? He used to tour the local Junior schools promrting Road Safety as I remember. Dread to think how such an approach would be received today!

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Hook a Duck for a pet goldfish & Brandy snap the only two reasons we used to go to the feast! There is a street in Horsforth which was named after our local 'feast', when they built offices on the land where the feast set up they called the road 'Feast Field' now it is held in Horsforth Park!!!! No toilets!!! peeing in the bushes!!!! ahh the good old days!!!!!!!!
Love a Landrover

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

just digressing a bit,did anyone go to woodhouse moor to see 'hell drivers',they were stunt drivers with big muscle cars,and i loved it! about 74ish at a guess?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

T

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

No JanCee, most probably neither would I now, but it was a treat to go to one in years gone by. If I'm honest, my better understanding now would much prefer to see those animals reacting in their more natural surroundings.As for the clowns, well again they were inocent and funny, but I can see what you mean - perhaps portraying this once inocent image as the the silent monster in the odd film or three hasn't helped their image!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

the big cats (when hungry) in with the clowns......woud tha go then jancee.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

[

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

A wonderful thing is a Tigger! Me fav'rit hanimule of all!(If they stayon film!)Seriously,Jan, I believe that the Fairs which appearedon certain religious holiday 'Feast' days were called Feasts for thatvery reason. When I was a nipper,(and afterwards),we had a grand choiceof Feasts in Leeds. Armley,Woodhouse,Kirkstall, Hunslet andHolbeck,plus Bramley at Carnival times. Remember the 'MOON ROCKET' with Popeye going in the opposite direction in his ownmini rocket,Made it look as if you were going twice the speed!Chairoplanes,Dodgems,Steam Pigs (swings) and the waltzers,Speedway and 'horses' going up and down and round!'Wall of Death' too.Luvverly!Happy memories!Arry

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

S.