Wild flower meadow in Leeds

The green spaces and places of Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-envir ... 3669941The UK has lost an estimated 97% of its wildflower meadows since the 1930sResearchers have planted flower meadows in four UK cities as part of a study to improve understanding of urbanisation on insect pollinators.Continuing development means that urban areas are growing, and researchers are gathering data to see if floral-rich city habitats would benefit wildlife.The Urban Pollinators Project is the first citywide survey of its kind to assess the role of all urban habitats.The team plan to share their findings at a conference next year.The UK's main pollinators are insects, such as bees, butterflies and hoverfliesThe three-year £1.3m project involves scientists from four UK universities - Bristol, Reading, Leeds and Edinburgh - and is now in its final year.I wonder if this includes the meadow that suddenly appeared alongside King Lane?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's very interesting raveydavey.I took this photo of the King Lane 'meadow' on August 6 2013. It does though seem rather small if it is part of the research project, so I wonder if it is a small scale trial for something else? A SL thread titled 'An area of grass on King Lane killed by weed killer (?)' started on May 17 2012 is related. This the link to that thread:- http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... eadID=4002
Attachments
001R.jpg
001R.jpg (143.2 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

I'm surprised that some idiot on a motor mower hasn't demolished it! There could be so many more flowers for insects if they did not hack down grass verges where there is no line of sight problems for vehicles.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: That's very interesting raveydavey.I took this photo of the King Lane 'meadow' on August 6 2013. It does though seem rather small if it is part of the research project, so I wonder if it is a small scale trial for something else? A SL thread titled 'An area of grass on King Lane killed by weed killer (?)' started on May 17 2012 is related. This the link to that thread:- http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... eadID=4002 Hi Leodian - thats why I thought of the flowers on King lane - it's an exact rectangle of flowers and plants, just stuck there at the side of the road and must have been planned by someone. Perhaps the hope is that it will gradually spread out of it's own volition over a period of years?More on the story at the Yorkshire Morning Post: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-5953282
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

The one on Scott Hall Road just held giant daisies, or shasta daisies to give them their proper name.

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Two areas that were back to backs in Holbeck were seeded with wild flowers last year and very nice they looked as well.
Hunslet born and bread

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

johnnyg wrote: The one on Scott Hall Road just held giant daisies, or shasta daisies to give them their proper name. Thanks johnnyg. I had wondered what they were as I've only seen that plot when passing by on a bus.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

The Shasta daisies from Scott Hall Road, photographed in June.
Attachments
Roadside shasta daisies.jpg
Roadside shasta daisies.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 3098 times