Red Kite spotted above A65

The green spaces and places of Leeds
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

I was driving up the A65 just past the Crematorium at Rawdon when I spotted a large bird soaring above the road, as I got nearer I noticed it had a forked tail similar to a Red Kite. Could it have been a Red Kite or perhaps another bird? It was quite large!
ex-Armley lad

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

Very likely to be a red kite - they're getting much more common over Leeds. We live in Kirkstall, and regularly see them over our house.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Red Kites are often seen over Sheepscar, and most of North Leeds, and not that rare now.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Saw one about 3 weeks ago circling over Dewsbury Road,just south of the Junction pub at the car wash.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

cnosni wrote: Saw one about 3 weeks ago circling over Dewsbury Road,just south of the Junction pub at the car wash. Didn't realise we had them up here,I saw a lot near Heathrow last year . Have they been introduced or have they spread from other areas? They are a great sight to see,wheeling and catching the updraughts !
ex-Armley lad

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Half a dozen were brought from wales and released on the harewood estate back in 1998. I've seen them over kirkstall abbey.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Cardiarms wrote: Half a dozen were brought from wales and released on the harewood estate back in 1998. I've seen them over kirkstall abbey. What Welshmen were released ?????
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

stutterdog wrote: I was driving up the A65 just past the Crematorium at Rawdon when I spotted a large bird soaring above the road, as I got nearer I noticed it had a forked tail similar to a Red Kite. Could it have been a Red Kite or perhaps another bird? It was quite large! I was up on Baildon Moor while back looking down over that and there were quite a few going up to amazing heights. Hardly ever seemed to need to beat wings, soaring on thermals instead.Can't remember what thread, might've been a W&W.

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

I see a couple quite often around Crossgates now.

DazB

Post by DazB »

I have personally also seen them regularly at Bramhope, Otley Rd, Coal Road, Seacroft area and also Coal Hill Lane over in Farsley too. Getting well established now and great to see.
The element of suprise was removed from the Periodic Table in 1926. It was represented by the symbol 'oh'.