Rothwell Country Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

yesterday morning I had a walk around Rothwell Country Park.I had been told that part of the sculpture trail had a stone circle.I found it as well as other stuff in what is a decaying neglected park.Although there is a friends group for it the entire site has been neglected ever since Leeds Council pulled the plug on it.It was set up in 2000 on the former colliery site.I did actually enjoy going around on my own in a virtually deserted park as I hate crowds.it was the first time I had been to it although I will be going againI noticed a couple of signs pointing to the summit and maze.I found the summit easily but saw no signs of a maze.Does anyone know if it is still there, or any trace of it?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I've never heard of one, no sign of one ever being there on aerial images, no mention of it on google search, or flickr photos.The detail map what's there is herehttp://www.friendsofrcp.co.uk/mapsNo mention of it Steve!
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Never heard of that, as the crow flies wrong side of town for me. I know Rothwell, Cas, Swillington and Woodlesford fairly well.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Hi Steve it was there 13 years ago and set up by Groundwork LeedsGroundwork Leeds’ main role was to engage local people of all ages in the project. We ran numerous wildlife events and creative workshops, including designing and carving sculptures, willow weaving and the creation of a giant dragon ‘maze’. Several members of staff were employed on the project.On 24th June 2000 Rothwell Country Park was officially opened by the late great Richard Whiteley! The new park provided this corner of Leeds with much needed oasis for recreation and leisure, and a haven for wildlife. Today it provides access to the Lower Aire Valley and the Aire and Calder Navigation, with the Transpennine Trail running alongside.
Attachments
Dragon Maze.jpg
Dragon Maze.jpg (20.73 KiB) Viewed 14144 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Thanks Jogon and Phil.On looking at the map on Phils link above,it looksl ike the maze is just about visible.I obviously missed it on my wander as i don't think I went to the area it is in.i iwll have to have another wander about the place when i get a spare moment.it is actualy in Woodlesford although named Rothwell .A footpath going by the wonderfull name of Pickpocket Lane (although not signed as that on the ground) gave me access on foot.Bullough Lane allows acess by car to a locked gate which means the former car park is inaccessible.ponds are all overgrown with rushes.There is an activity trail for thos of a sporting bent although too active for me.The various bars etc are becoming overgrown although still usable.    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Steve Jones wrote: Thanks Jogon and Phil.On looking at the map on Phils link above,it looksl ike the maze is just about visible.I obviously missed it on my wander as i don't think I went to the area it is in.i iwll have to have another wander about the place when i get a spare moment.it is actualy in Woodlesford although named Rothwell .A footpath going by the wonderfull name of Pickpocket Lane (although not signed as that on the ground) gave me access on foot.Bullough Lane allows acess by car to a locked gate which means the former car park is inaccessible.ponds are all overgrown with rushes.There is an activity trail for thos of a sporting bent although too active for me.The various bars etc are becoming overgrown although still usable.     Thanks Steve - sounds like you've saved me a wasted journey. Have the council simply abandoned the park?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

raveydavey wrote: Thanks Steve - sounds like you've saved me a wasted journey. Have the council simply abandoned the park? pretty much. The Friends of Rothwell Country Park appear to be fighting a losing battle to try and improve matters.The council installed the exercise circuit last year but it is already overgrown.i did notice some areas had been mown but don't know who did it.it wasn't a large area so I am guessing it wasn't the council.for anyoe who likes photo's there are some very atmospheric opportunities around the place I think ,although I wouldn't think it is a safe place after dark!

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

There is a 'Friends' organisation http://www.friendsofrcp.co.uk/ and a few months ago, the council announced plans for a cycle path linking Templenewsam to Rothwell Country Park, so they must still be aware of it!    http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-5471215

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Croggy1 wrote: There is a 'Friends' organisation http://www.friendsofrcp.co.uk/ and a few months ago, the council announced plans for a cycle path linking Templenewsam to Rothwell Country Park, so they must still be aware of it!    http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-5471215 That's interesting. When combined with the recently opened cycle path between Roundhay Park and Temple Newsam, that's quite a bike ride you'll be able to do across Leeds - most of it away from traffic.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Went again with a group of friends yesterday and finaly located what is left of the maze.it is barely visible being very overgrown,just the carved rocks put in various places still there and rapidly being overgrown.