Salmon Jumping Right Now

The green spaces and places of Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

stutterdog wrote: raveydavey wrote: stutterdog wrote: While we are on the subject of fish, I was fishing last week on the Wharfe at the Pool fishery. I made my way onto Castley Ln just over the bridge and motored down to just beyond where Castley Beck comes into the river. The river was quite swollen and I thought never mind,it's nice just to sit by the river. A disturbance in the river ,near my left foot caused me to jump a bit but I didn't see anything . A few seconds later a head popped out of the water 2 ft from my right foot! The creature emerged from the river completely ignoring me! It made it's way off to my right, on the bank. It was black or possibly dark brown. It looked like a stoat but I think it may have been a mink! Are there wild mink on the Wharfe? Mink were released from a farm in Calderdale a good few years ago by animal rights activists, with the irony that they decimated the indigenous wildlife and spread far and wide, as there are few if any natural predators for them.It's certainly possible that they may have made it to Wharfedale by now. Hi Ravey D, I think you must be right about the mink from Calderdale but it seems a long way from Wharfedale. Unless of course stoats have leaned to swim? Checking, it was 1997 that the mink were misguidedly released, so they will be fairly widespread and established by now. A Google reveals them causing problems across East Lancashire as well, which is a similar distance to Otley but in the opposite direction...“Mink are voracious predators, preying on fish, mammals and birds. They will take large salmon many times their own size. They also contribute to the continuing decline in the population of water voles as they are small enough to enter the voles’ burrows.”
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

raveydavey wrote: stutterdog wrote: raveydavey wrote: stutterdog wrote: While we are on the subject of fish, I was fishing last week on the Wharfe at the Pool fishery. I made my way onto Castley Ln just over the bridge and motored down to just beyond where Castley Beck comes into the river. The river was quite swollen and I thought never mind,it's nice just to sit by the river. A disturbance in the river ,near my left foot caused me to jump a bit but I didn't see anything . A few seconds later a head popped out of the water 2 ft from my right foot! The creature emerged from the river completely ignoring me! It made it's way off to my right, on the bank. It was black or possibly dark brown. It looked like a stoat but I think it may have been a mink! Are there wild mink on the Wharfe? Mink were released from a farm in Calderdale a good few years ago by animal rights activists, with the irony that they decimated the indigenous wildlife and spread far and wide, as there are few if any natural predators for them.It's certainly possible that they may have made it to Wharfedale by now. Hi Ravey D, I think you must be right about the mink from Calderdale but it seems a long way from Wharfedale. Unless of course stoats have leaned to swim? Checking, it was 1997 that the mink were misguidedly released, so they will be fairly widespread and established by now. A Google reveals them causing problems across East Lancashire as well, which is a similar distance to Otley but in the opposite direction...“Mink are voracious predators, preying on fish, mammals and birds. They will take large salmon many times their own size. They also contribute to the continuing decline in the population of water voles as they are small enough to enter the voles’ burrows.” It's not taken them long has it?
ex-Armley lad

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I see mink quite regular down by the river Aire near Newlay Bridge, I dunno if its the same one or if there are a few of them but I've spotted the little devils trotting along the side of the weir when I've been crossing the bridge. One of them saw me and shot up a drain pipe. It was easy to tell it was a mink as its coat was jet black and it wasnt big enough to be an otter. Also there is a growing problem with this rotten Japanese knotweed and Himalayan balsam round these parts. Despite regular spraying and bashings the stuff just keeps spreading.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

skunkhead

Re: Salmon Jumping Right Now

Post by skunkhead »

i know its a old post firstly salmon WILL come to the aire weather their welcome or not and i dont know why anyone wouldnt want to see them do their thang ! the humber is now cleaner though not 100% quite right yet but a major improvemeant to what it was still its 2016 and not quite right shocking but there yer go,so the humber is cleaner thus making the aire cleaner, i was speaking to a fisherman last week at york on the ouse which for anyone who dont know is where the aire enters the ouse,this felller said he had just been to i think near knotingley where they is a weir of somekind tidal waters he said that the river was stuffed with small fish from 2lbs to say 6 lbs and one or two massive fish sounded like fish between 10 - 20lbs not massive but still very impressive,now after reading the poasts about ppl worried about disclosing the where abouts of these fish well first salmon dont eat upon entering freshwater the live on reserves in their body one of the reason why mnay but not all die after spawning usually males and early spring running fish from the begining of the season.....anyway so they dont eat so how does the angler catch them legit,well know one really knows could be a distant memory of the fish feeding in greenland/faroe isles or it could be agression or territorial memories or instincts kicking right in or playfullness all these are full accepted as why they maight take lures and flies. now for anyone worrying about the salmon being persecuted well they dont eat so they are very hard to catch,legally but they is a method in which i will never disclose on a forum,which is strictly outlawed now if yer were to go to say the river wear around the durham area or the esk at whitby or wylam pool on the river tyne this ilegal method still gets practiced,but the chances of t it being practised in leeds is remote as hell its been what nearly 200 yrs since the aire and calder have had what yer can call a salmon run same as the ouse and humber so whats the chances of anyone local in leeds knowing this method very slim ive never ever yet met a leeds salmon poacher on any of the major salmon and sea trout river in the north east or north west for that matter and ive done nearly all of them......though when the runs increase and the cat is out the bag so to say it wont take long for ppl from sea croft harehills armely area to wise up and that will become the new craze in the city of leeds yer onkly gota look at the river wear at durham poaching going on for 100s of yrs then all of a sudden the free fishing stopped last yr they had had enough saying the stocks were down when in actual fact yer can view fish counts form the electric counter at durham monthly or daily google river tyen or wear ,tees fish counts they is a one for the river ure at newby hall between ripon and borobridge but can i hell work it out anyway the number have actually increased on the river wear at durham not declined so in the very near future leeds WILL be awash with salmon poachers in the urban jungle " i know men who have been waiting for this for a few yrs now as salmon have been making their way into the aire over the mnay yrs of being nearly totally absenct

skunkhead

Re: Salmon Jumping Right Now

Post by skunkhead »

i know its a old post firstly salmon WILL come to the aire weather their welcome or not and i dont know why anyone wouldnt want to see them do their thang ! the humber is now cleaner though not 100% quite right yet but a major improvemeant to what it was still its 2016 and not quite right shocking but there yer go,so the humber is cleaner thus making the aire cleaner, i was speaking to a fisherman last week at york on the ouse which for anyone who dont know is where the aire enters the ouse,this felller said he had just been to i think near knotingley where they is a weir of somekind tidal waters he said that the river was stuffed with small fish from 2lbs to say 6 lbs and one or two massive fish sounded like fish between 10 - 20lbs not massive but still very impressive,now after reading the poasts about ppl worried about disclosing the where abouts of these fish well first salmon dont eat upon entering freshwater the live on reserves in their body one of the reason why mnay but not all die after spawning usually males and early spring running fish from the begining of the season.....anyway so they dont eat so how does the angler catch them legit,well know one really knows could be a distant memory of the fish feeding in greenland/faroe isles or it could be agression or territorial memories or instincts kicking right in or playfullness all these are full accepted as why they maight take lures and flies. now for anyone worrying about the salmon being persecuted well they dont eat so they are very hard to catch,legally but they is a method in which i will never disclose on a forum,which is strictly outlawed now if yer were to go to say the river wear around the durham area or the esk at whitby or wylam pool on the river tyne this ilegal method still gets practiced,but the chances of t it being practised in leeds is remote as hell its been what nearly 200 yrs since the aire and calder have had what yer can call a salmon run same as the ouse and humber so whats the chances of anyone local in leeds knowing this method very slim ive never ever yet met a leeds salmon poacher on any of the major salmon and sea trout river in the north east or north west for that matter and ive done nearly all of them......though when the runs increase and the cat is out the bag so to say it wont take long for ppl from sea croft harehills armely area to wise up and that will become the new craze in the city of leeds yer onkly gota look at the river wear at durham poaching going on for 100s of yrs then all of a sudden the free fishing stopped last yr they had had enough saying the stocks were down when in actual fact yer can view fish counts form the electric counter at durham monthly or daily google river tyen or wear ,tees fish counts they is a one for the river ure at newby hall between ripon and borobridge but can i hell work it out anyway the number have actually increased on the river wear at durham not declined so in the very near future leeds WILL be awash with salmon poachers in the urban jungle " i know men who have been waiting for this for a few yrs now as salmon have been making their way into the aire over the mnay yrs of being nearly totally absenct