Salmon Jumping Right Now

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Tyke

Post by Tyke »

I go bird watching down Woodlesford way and last year I found the remains of a very large fish (the scales were larger than a 50p piece) 15 foot from the rivers edge. Something large had taken it up the banking and I've heard local reports of otters so maybe they are migrating up river.
Hunslet born and bread

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

stutterdog wrote: Leodian wrote: Hi stutterdog. That is a great sighting and so close. I have read that otters have been seen in and by the River Wharfe in and near that area, so it might have been an otter. Some years back now I was walking on the footbridge over the Wharfe by Ox Close Wood (near East Keswick) when there was some flooding and the river was carrying an enormous flow. I saw an animal in the extremely fast flowing water and my first thought was that the poor thing had been drowned. I was then very surprised to see that it was alive and seemingly well and swimming across the flow (which must have took a lot of effort) and got to the side where I lost it, but it seemed likely it had got out. On checking I was almost certain it was an otter as that fitted very well what I saw. It was clearly used to water.PS. I was once there at another flooded time when water was over a path by the river. Keeping well clear of the water I saw a poor wet bedraggled mole just at the waters edge, so I put it where I hope was safer ground above the flooded area. I've never handled a mole before nor since. Hi Leodian, I've never seen an otter apart from on TV but I think otters are rather larger than the creature I saw. It was only about 9ins to a foot long and as I said very stoat-like in appearance. I should mention I was appalled by the state of the river bank at that point. Some idiotic,selfish angler who had obviously spent the day fishing this spot previously had left a disgusting mess. There were at least 6 discarded empty larger tins along with plastic bags and other detritus! I thought anglers were responsible individuals who respected the environment,I know I am. How people can behave like this in such a beautiful area I do not know! I,m not an angler myself - but I'm friends with several - and they are , I'm sure, responsible and thoughtful to the environment. Sadly there are always one or two idiots who spoil things for others.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

stutterdog wrote: While we are on the subject of fish, I was fishing last week on the Wharfe at the Pool fishery. I made my way onto Castley Ln just over the bridge and motored down to just beyond where Castley Beck comes into the river. The river was quite swollen and I thought never mind,it's nice just to sit by the river. A disturbance in the river ,near my left foot caused me to jump a bit but I didn't see anything . A few seconds later a head popped out of the water 2 ft from my right foot! The creature emerged from the river completely ignoring me! It made it's way off to my right, on the bank. It was black or possibly dark brown. It looked like a stoat but I think it may have been a mink! Are there wild mink on the Wharfe? Mink were released from a farm in Calderdale a good few years ago by animal rights activists, with the irony that they decimated the indigenous wildlife and spread far and wide, as there are few if any natural predators for them.It's certainly possible that they may have made it to Wharfedale by now.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

raveydavey wrote: stutterdog wrote: While we are on the subject of fish, I was fishing last week on the Wharfe at the Pool fishery. I made my way onto Castley Ln just over the bridge and motored down to just beyond where Castley Beck comes into the river. The river was quite swollen and I thought never mind,it's nice just to sit by the river. A disturbance in the river ,near my left foot caused me to jump a bit but I didn't see anything . A few seconds later a head popped out of the water 2 ft from my right foot! The creature emerged from the river completely ignoring me! It made it's way off to my right, on the bank. It was black or possibly dark brown. It looked like a stoat but I think it may have been a mink! Are there wild mink on the Wharfe? Mink were released from a farm in Calderdale a good few years ago by animal rights activists, with the irony that they decimated the indigenous wildlife and spread far and wide, as there are few if any natural predators for them.It's certainly possible that they may have made it to Wharfedale by now. Hi Ravey D, I think you must be right about the mink from Calderdale but it seems a long way from Wharfedale. Unless of course stoats have leaned to swim?
ex-Armley lad

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

As an angler I have seen plenty of wild mink in the Wharfe and on the banks, but never an otter, mores the pity. Mink can be aggressive and don't seem scared of humans. As for litter left by anglers, I'm sick of clearing up after anglers, and others on the river banks, unfortunately that stretch of the Wharfe at Castley is free fishing, so not controlled but you still need an EA licence. The club I'm a member of has a motto, leave litter and you will leave the club.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

geoffb wrote: As an angler I have seen plenty of wild mink in the Wharfe and on the banks, but never an otter, mores the pity. Mink can be aggressive and don't seem scared of humans. As for litter left by anglers, I'm sick of clearing up after anglers, and others on the river banks, unfortunately that stretch of the Wharfe at Castley is free fishing, so not controlled but you still need an EA licence. The club I'm a member of has a motto, leave litter and you will leave the club. Hello geoffb,                 I didn't realise that this stretch of the Wharfe was free fishing? I even bought a ticket at the garage at Pool! It was controlled by Leeds Amalg. many years ago when I last fished it. I did in fact buy the ticket with the intention of fishing Knotford lagoon between Otley and Pool but drove up and down the road there and couldn't find the entrance to it! So I had to settle for Castley. When I have previously bought a ticket for the Pool fishery there was a map on it ,telling you where you were entitled to fish but not on the new tickets.Anyway, thanks for that information,I'll save my money next time and not buy a ticket!
ex-Armley lad

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

[quoteHello geoffb,                 I didn't realise that this stretch of the Wharfe was free fishing? I even bought a ticket at the garage at Pool! It was controlled by Leeds Amalg. many years ago when I last fished it. I did in fact buy the ticket with the intention of fishing Knotford lagoon between Otley and Pool but drove up and down the road there and couldn't find the entrance to it! So I had to settle for Castley. When I have previously bought a ticket for the Pool fishery there was a map on it ,telling you where you were entitled to fish but not on the new tickets.Anyway, thanks for that information,I'll save my money next time and not buy a ticket! Hi SDYes it's free from Castley beck inlet down to the bend in the river by the HV cable crossing, some decent Grayling, Trout and Chub to be had. Knotford Lagoon is now very awkward for parking, there is a car park but it's locked, members of LeedsAA have to apply for key. I,m a member of Bradford No 1, which has the rights to smaller lagoon nearer to the Pool road, my claim to fame is that I caught the largest carp in1989 there 25 lb 6 oz.Fishing is normally free where a river runs adjacent to a road, think its because the local council owns the land.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I suggest keeping an eye out for bears while salmon watching. Sorry, just being flippant, take no notice of me, just in a daft mood at the moment. :-)
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Johnny39 wrote: I suggest keeping an eye out for bears while salmon watching. Sorry, just being flippant, take no notice of me, just in a daft mood at the moment. :-) what d'you mean "...at the moment..." I was waiting at Leeds station Thurs eve and looking over into the river down below at Dark Arches and summat jumped. Gloomy down there so no idea what.Johnny If I get my chores done Sat I fancy a day on Cayton sands then S'boro Sun. Nice looking caféup top http://goo.gl/maps/hnwV4 1) how's yr weather 2) is the café open. ttfn, j    

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Jogon wrote: Johnny39 wrote: I suggest keeping an eye out for bears while salmon watching. Sorry, just being flippant, take no notice of me, just in a daft mood at the moment. :-) what d'you mean "...at the moment..." I was waiting at Leeds station Thurs eve and looking over into the river down below at Dark Arches and summat jumped. Gloomy down there so no idea what.Johnny If I get my chores done Sat I fancy a day on Cayton sands then S'boro Sun. Nice looking caféup top http://goo.gl/maps/hnwV4 1) how's yr weather 2) is the café open. ttfn, j     Hi Jogon, like a lot of the people who live on the coast the beach is not used very much by them, people tend to walk the countryside. I couldn't tell you the last time I was on the beach. The weather at the moment is dry but a little strange, the sun is more in than out but when it does appear it becomes quite hot. The early mornings are the best. No rain of any significance for ages. Don't know when you were last at Cayton Bay but there is a "park and ride" bus station where the old holiday camp was situated. Sorry this isn't very Leeds but well...you did ask. :-) By the way which Sun did you mean there are two? Like the Leeds and Leeds Arms in the Old Town.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?