Salmon Jumping Right Now

The green spaces and places of Leeds
SKE

Post by SKE »

I have been watching leaping salmon and trout over the last week or so. A couple of weeks ago I heard about this from a boat crew on the river Aire, but thought I needed to see it myself to believe it, so I went down on my bike and sure enough, within 5 minutes of watching, I saw leaping fish. I am no fisherman but I know enough to say there were both trout and salmon. I was very close and able to see them clearly, although the only way I could get photos was by filming it and taking screen captures from the paused footage as they were way too fast and unpredictable to catch with my camera (it has a delay before it takes a photo. I've been down twice more and seen them on each occasion, so if anyone wants to head down and have a look, now is the time to go.The location is Knostrop Weir, a mile or so along from the Armories. If you stand on the platform at the top of the railed off stairs, you will see them. I would attach a picture, but not sure how - let me know if there is an easy (idiot proof!) way.After Googling the salmon and river Aire situation, it seems that they are on their way to around Malham, but unfortunately the Knostrop Weir is too high for them to pass. From what I have seen, I would agree - not seen any reach higher than half way and really it is quite sad. I think I should try and campaign for a fish pass, not sure where to start though. Any suggestions?
Attachments
new.jpg
new.jpg (238.24 KiB) Viewed 7882 times

SKE

Post by SKE »

Another...
Attachments
New2.jpg
New2.jpg (268.84 KiB) Viewed 7882 times

SKE

Post by SKE »

One large fish I watched launched itself, got around half way up and then dropped back down,. but stayed at the bottom of the weir, top inch or two above the shallow water. stationary as if on a water treadmill, then it leaped again, only not as high as it had obviously used a lot of energy with the first leap. This pic is not of that particular one.
Attachments
new3.jpg
new3.jpg (206.55 KiB) Viewed 7882 times

SKE

Post by SKE »

Even amongst the fisherman around there, it doesn't appear to be widely known about the leaping fish, and I was wary about telling the location on the internet, didn't want to bring any unwaned attention from the wrong sort of person, but I figured this was a good place to do it as any, where the people are decent and care about our city (damn, the words sound so cheesy, apologies!).
Attachments
new4.jpg
new4.jpg (238.39 KiB) Viewed 7882 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I think a fish pass is on the cards, will check, but then you'll need one or two more weirs, the Bondsman Dam and up the valley near Armley Mills.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

SKE

Post by SKE »

Thanks for that, just had a look at the link. it's good to know there are plans to deal with this. I just realised I said I didn't know how to post pictures, then proceeded to post some. Put it down to a bad night's sleep!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

While we are on the subject of fish, I was fishing last week on the Wharfe at the Pool fishery. I made my way onto Castley Ln just over the bridge and motored down to just beyond where Castley Beck comes into the river. The river was quite swollen and I thought never mind,it's nice just to sit by the river. A disturbance in the river ,near my left foot caused me to jump a bit but I didn't see anything . A few seconds later a head popped out of the water 2 ft from my right foot! The creature emerged from the river completely ignoring me! It made it's way off to my right, on the bank. It was black or possibly dark brown. It looked like a stoat but I think it may have been a mink! Are there wild mink on the Wharfe?
ex-Armley lad

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi stutterdog. That is a great sighting and so close. I have read that otters have been seen in and by the River Wharfe in and near that area, so it might have been an otter. Some years back now I was walking on the footbridge over the Wharfe by Ox Close Wood (near East Keswick) when there was some flooding and the river was carrying an enormous flow. I saw an animal in the extremely fast flowing water and my first thought was that the poor thing had been drowned. I was then very surprised to see that it was alive and seemingly well and swimming across the flow (which must have took a lot of effort) and got to the side where I lost it, but it seemed likely it had got out. On checking I was almost certain it was an otter as that fitted very well what I saw. It was clearly used to water.PS. I was once there at another flooded time when water was over a path by the river. Keeping well clear of the water I saw a poor wet bedraggled mole just at the waters edge, so I put it where I hope was safer ground above the flooded area. I've never handled a mole before nor since.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Leodian wrote: Hi stutterdog. That is a great sighting and so close. I have read that otters have been seen in and by the River Wharfe in and near that area, so it might have been an otter. Some years back now I was walking on the footbridge over the Wharfe by Ox Close Wood (near East Keswick) when there was some flooding and the river was carrying an enormous flow. I saw an animal in the extremely fast flowing water and my first thought was that the poor thing had been drowned. I was then very surprised to see that it was alive and seemingly well and swimming across the flow (which must have took a lot of effort) and got to the side where I lost it, but it seemed likely it had got out. On checking I was almost certain it was an otter as that fitted very well what I saw. It was clearly used to water.PS. I was once there at another flooded time when water was over a path by the river. Keeping well clear of the water I saw a poor wet bedraggled mole just at the waters edge, so I put it where I hope was safer ground above the flooded area. I've never handled a mole before nor since. Hi Leodian, I've never seen an otter apart from on TV but I think otters are rather larger than the creature I saw. It was only about 9ins to a foot long and as I said very stoat-like in appearance. I should mention I was appalled by the state of the river bank at that point. Some idiotic,selfish angler who had obviously spent the day fishing this spot previously had left a disgusting mess. There were at least 6 discarded empty larger tins along with plastic bags and other detritus! I thought anglers were responsible individuals who respected the environment,I know I am. How people can behave like this in such a beautiful area I do not know!
ex-Armley lad