St.Aidans Mine, new RSPB reserve

The green spaces and places of Leeds
fellrunner

Post by fellrunner »

Had a look around,they have done a great job with it. Had a 5 mile run around the reserve,saw some Kestrel chicks nesting in the giant excavator . I just about remember it as a working mine which I would guess closed in the 1980's.    Anyone any old photos theay could post please.
dave b

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I've seen this publicised recently and intend to get there soon, so glad to hear it lives up to the promise.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

fellrunner wrote: Had a look around,they have done a great job with it. Had a 5 mile run around the reserve,saw some Kestrel chicks nesting in the giant excavator . I just about remember it as a working mine which I would guess closed in the 1980's.    Anyone any old photos theay could post please. When I saw the thread I was wondering if the big navvi was still there - obviously it is.

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

I remember when the river Aire burst its banks and flooded the mine but I cannot remember when.
Hunslet born and bread

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Tyke wrote: I remember when the river Aire burst its banks and flooded the mine but I cannot remember when. 1988 - more about it here:www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43634
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Cheers Davey it didnt seem that long ago.
Hunslet born and bread

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Tyke wrote: Cheers Davey it didnt seem that long ago. No problem - it was only a quarter century ago..!

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Only...:-(
Hunslet born and bread