Scholes Moat.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Does anyone have any info on the moat that can be found outside Scholes village? It is shown on old maps but is only marked as "moat". could it have been a fortified manor house from the kingdom of Elmet? Perhaps the lord of Loidis lived there! I drove past last week and the earthwork is visible and Barwick Road cuts across it. somone must know something!
Love a Landrover

rikj

Post by rikj »

I'd imagine that Barwicker may be able to shed some light on that when he's on-line.

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

Thank yo to Rikj for his confidenceRather than copy out a lot of information perhaps Rangieowner would like to have a look at www.scholesfamily.co.uk/scholes/origins/place.htm                         Much of the information has been taken from the research carried out & published by Mr Arthur Bantoft, until recently the Editor of "The Barwicker", the journal of the Barwick in Elmet Historical Society    

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

Thank you to Rikj for his confidenceRather than copy out a lot of information perhaps Rangieowner would like to have a look at www.scholesfamily.co.uk/scholes/origins/place.htm                         Much of the information has been taken from the research carried out & published by Mr Arthur Bantoft, until recently the Editor of "The Barwicker", the journal of the Barwick in Elmet Historical Society    

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Thanks for that Barwicker, most insightful never knew i lived near such historical stuff!
Love a Landrover

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

There is more information about the Manor of Scholes at www.barwickinelmethistoricalsociety.com/4913.html

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Exellent that! good read very informative! thanks Barwicker!!!
Love a Landrover

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

rangieowner wrote: Exellent that! good read very informative! thanks Barwicker!!! could it be anythimg to do with grimesdyke,which runs close to that area?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

I think the Dyke or Ditch and the Moat belong to two different eras.If Wiggy would like to read the pieces mentioned above and then look at www.barwickinelmethistoricalsociety.com/3943.html and www.barwickinelmethistoricalsociety.com/maps.html he will find paragraphs about Grim(e)s Dyke and its full course and a sketch map. Research seems to suggest that that the ditch dates back to the Bronze Age

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Barwicker wrote: I think the Dyke or Ditch and the Moat belong to two different eras.If Wiggy would like to read the pieces mentioned above and then look at www.barwickinelmethistoricalsociety.com/3943.html and www.barwickinelmethistoricalsociety.com/maps.html he will find paragraphs about Grim(e)s Dyke and its full course and a sketch map. Research seems to suggest that that the ditch dates back to the Bronze Age shall do that,cheers.any idea what happened to crossgates historical society? i was a taxi driver,based in croggy some years ago,and subscribed to thier monthly mag.spent a few quid in barwick pubs over the years too!(rambling again ...sorry)
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?