Chippys Quarry - chippies quarry, Scholes Brickworks

The green spaces and places of Leeds
DavidB1973

Post by DavidB1973 »

Does anyone have the same memories as I do of the old quarry?I know the Chippindale Family owned it as well at the windmill at Seacroft. I remember the pair of chimneys well and the glue sniffers.Under the now buried railway bridge were a few burnt out and dumped cars.Myself and a friend once set off across the pond in an old dumped fridge only to find it was sinking after we got about six foot away from the bank!Two people who have never met each other told me the same tale, when Mr Chippy died his house was left, you could go in and all his belongings were still there, a bureau had paperwork in from the brick and tile works, a vintage car sat in the garage.A colleague of mine at Yorkshire Electric, he husband had the hand book to the vintage car, he got it from inside the car and kept it out of interest.Sadly I can not for the life of me think of the model, it was an open top without windscreen.It was a ruff place with junk and old cars all around but it was the best place to be as a young lad, even when chased off by the glue sniffers!I would love to see some pictures of the old quarry how it was, I did find a picture of the chimneys years ago but they were taken up close and not the best of shots.Our Car was stolen and burnt out up there, its picture with its number plate on display appeared in the Yorkshire evening post as did a picture of the cars under the bridge when it was reported it was to be cleaned up.
Born in Leeds 14 now lives in cumbria

mattwhi

Post by mattwhi »

Hi,I have found this link if your interested its a story about the Chippendale family http://www.pro-patria-mori.co.uk/barwic ... id133.html DavidB1973 wrote: Does anyone have the same memories as I do of the old quarry?I know the Chippindale Family owned it as well at the windmill at Seacroft. I remember the pair of chimneys well and the glue sniffers.Under the now buried railway bridge were a few burnt out and dumped cars.Myself and a friend once set off across the pond in an old dumped fridge only to find it was sinking after we got about six foot away from the bank!Two people who have never met each other told me the same tale, when Mr Chippy died his house was left, you could go in and all his belongings were still there, a bureau had paperwork in from the brick and tile works, a vintage car sat in the garage.A colleague of mine at Yorkshire Electric, he husband had the hand book to the vintage car, he got it from inside the car and kept it out of interest.Sadly I can not for the life of me think of the model, it was an open top without windscreen.It was a ruff place with junk and old cars all around but it was the best place to be as a young lad, even when chased off by the glue sniffers!I would love to see some pictures of the old quarry how it was, I did find a picture of the chimneys years ago but they were taken up close and not the best of shots.Our Car was stolen and burnt out up there, its picture with its number plate on display appeared in the Yorkshire evening post as did a picture of the cars under the bridge when it was reported it was to be cleaned up.

DavidB1973

Post by DavidB1973 »

Thanks Matt, thats and interesting read for anyone, Cheers
Born in Leeds 14 now lives in cumbria

BigSteveF

Post by BigSteveF »

I remember the quarry well and used to spend a lot of time there in the late 60,s early 70,s. Occasionly "Old Man Chippy" would come out of the house with a shotgun and in very colourful language ask us to leave his abode and land alone, needless to say we never stayed long enough to find out if the shotgun was loaded.
Leeds born n bred and DJ'd in several Pubs Clubs between 1977 and 1985. ie The Cherry Tree, great times and great people. (Now living in Somerset).

exiled in essex

Post by exiled in essex »

I remember this place well (including the glue sniffers). It was one of those places we were told not to go, but we still did. I only remember it in a derelict state but the chimneys were still there and what appeared to be brick ovens. I actually remember being sat in the classroom at school which looked out to the chimneys on the day they were blown up! It was springtime and I was in the second year juniors so that would have been 1981. That means we used to sneak off down there aged 8 or 9 (couldn't imagine that nowadays!). The glue sniffers were terrifying, but the whole area was full of 'dens' so it was always fun!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Some pics of Wood Lane, Chippies Quarry, Scholes and surrounding areas here: http://snipurl.com/278ti8w and here: http://snipurl.com/278tji1There were plans to turn the former railway line into a cycle path and link into National Cycle Route 66 at Wetherby, but these were abandoned when the "economic downturn" happened.The council has designs to open the entire area up to redevelopment, with plans to bury this whole area under a dual carriageway and a sea of concrete, so enjoy it while you can. There is a thread about it here: http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... eadID=1925
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

stevebuchanan

Re: Chippys Quarry - chippies quarry, Scholes Brickworks

Post by stevebuchanan »

yes i remember old man chippy with his gun back in the sixties,ran off like the clappers.i used to live on stanks drive then.as for when he left,we had a walk round the place and i can remember the old car ,it had runner boards down the sides with those great big headlights sticking out,yes the car was a topless model .there was also a very old tractor parked up at the side of it.As we rooted round i came across some postcards and letters dating back top the late 1890s and earley 1900s with the mention of kate chippendale,think this was his daughter.one letter was wrote when the first world was declared and they was stood on the town hall steps.Still have these to this date