"Secret" Leeds campsite...

The green spaces and places of Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I'm not sure if this is a new initiative by Leeds City Council to bring more affordable accommodation to the city centre, or if it's the advance guard arriving early for the Leeds Festival, but has anyone else noticed the tents that have popped up amongst the bushes on the large traffic island between the Ibis Hotel and the Palace pub, alongside the City Centre Loop?I think there was only one tent there the other day, but this seems to have doubled to two now...it can't be the nicest (or safest) place to camp, although I guess it is handy for the shops.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

raveydavey wrote: I'm not sure if this is a new initiative by Leeds City Council to bring more affordable accommodation to the city centre, or if it's the advance guard arriving early for the Leeds Festival, but has anyone else noticed the tents that have popped up amongst the bushes on the large traffic island between the Ibis Hotel and the Palace pub, alongside the City Centre Loop?I think there was only one tent there the other day, but this seems to have doubled to two now...it can't be the nicest (or safest) place to camp, although I guess it is handy for the shops. Not the small red/white stripey tents the GPO used to use then ?(cue photo opportunity for Phill).
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

somme1916 wrote: raveydavey wrote: I'm not sure if this is a new initiative by Leeds City Council to bring more affordable accommodation to the city centre, or if it's the advance guard arriving early for the Leeds Festival, but has anyone else noticed the tents that have popped up amongst the bushes on the large traffic island between the Ibis Hotel and the Palace pub, alongside the City Centre Loop?I think there was only one tent there the other day, but this seems to have doubled to two now...it can't be the nicest (or safest) place to camp, although I guess it is handy for the shops. Not the small red/white stripey tents the GPO used to use then ?(cue photo opportunity for Phill). Ha ha - no sadly not - these are definitely "camping" rather than working tents.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

raveydavey wrote: somme1916 wrote: raveydavey wrote: I'm not sure if this is a new initiative by Leeds City Council to bring more affordable accommodation to the city centre, or if it's the advance guard arriving early for the Leeds Festival, but has anyone else noticed the tents that have popped up amongst the bushes on the large traffic island between the Ibis Hotel and the Palace pub, alongside the City Centre Loop?I think there was only one tent there the other day, but this seems to have doubled to two now...it can't be the nicest (or safest) place to camp, although I guess it is handy for the shops. Not the small red/white stripey tents the GPO used to use then ?(cue photo opportunity for Phill). Ha ha - no sadly not - these are definitely "camping" rather than working tents. Might be stragglers left over from The Olympics......(spent air fares ).Seriously,does seem a bit odd to say the least.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I very much doubt its anything related to the Leeds festival which is miles away in Bramham. I've worked at many festivals over the years and for months prior to the festival the security staff / fencing / marquee contractors are usually allocated seperate camping areas on site where they either pitch tents or park up a caravan. I can only guess these tents in the city centre are some sort of protest or something - maybe someone protesting about being homeless to get on the housing list? I believe there are some 'social housing' apartments close to the location you are describing. Maybe someone thinks if they pitch up in a tent opposite they might get to the front of the rehousing queue?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Don't tell anyone else, but the way forward is Tree Houses.Carefully built (off site) to blend in with the environ, using 'DPM' if necessary. Or ghostblinds, even better [http://youtu.be/TLakINMEJuM] .Assembled discreetly, perhaps at night.I already have my eye on a suitable tree on the meanwood valley trail, handy for Waitrose cafe.And there's a tree I've oft admired on Cookridge St for a town pad.http://goo.gl/maps/caIky

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

They looked to have gone this morning (unless they've moved further into the undergrowth...), although there were a couple of shirts hanging from one of the trees. I suppose they could have had enough and moved on, or the constabulary might have had a quiet word. Or maybe their room at the Ibis was ready...A very strange state of affairs.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Jogon wrote: Don't tell anyone else, but the way forward is Tree Houses.And there's a tree I've oft admired on Cookridge St for a town pad.http://goo.gl/maps/caIky Would make a very des.res Jogon and so handily placed for a snifter in Browns before dinner.    

polo

Post by polo »

ill ask my collegues if they know what that was about as I work at tyke beneath ibis but I was on holiday at the time (leeds fest funnily enough)