Friends of Hawksworth Wood

The green spaces and places of Leeds
BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Well, when the tunnel is opened up and followed to the Abbey they could find the Holy Grail. That would really put the woods on the map .Being serious for a minute though it does sound like a good thing to get involved with.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

mhoulden wrote: The task list is at https://docs.google.com/open?id=1Z5WfIq ... UMfZLVKQyB and the "How to set up a friends group" doc is at https://docs.google.com/open?id=1EOTYU7 ... pAo2hRuhf7 (both on Google Docs).While I'm there on Saturday I'll see what photos I can get. There's always Flickr as a holding space until I get somewhere else to put them. Thankyou.

book

Post by book »

This looks like a good cause. Might try to get there.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Well I'm going to try and get down there, I love Hawksworth Woods as it has some interesting features - especially the heather-clad outcrops which tower above the trees which I think are left over from the quarrying days. There are also lots of old stone troughs / gutters left over from the stone-working days. If anyone else from the Secret Leeds forum is going I think we ought to have like a secret sign / funny handshake to identify ourselves! That way we can sneak off to excavate the entrance to the 'Kirkstall Abbey Tunnel'! The iron doorway is buried under about 3 foot of leaf litter and soild from hundreds of years of neglect. I'm going to take my Petzl head torch and hard hat just incase I can get inside.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I'm hoping to go, subject to waking on time and feeling up to a walk. If I do I'll try to remember to grab a camera and a couple of torches. It's times like this you wish you had a folding entrenchment tool...

book

Post by book »

If there is no airflow you might need a gas tester or old miners lamp.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

I never did get round to sorting out an avatar on here, but here's a photo of me midflow during a presentation for work last year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhoulden/6 ... streamI'll probably be wearing overalls and rigger boots tomorrow, especially if we get any more cloudbursts like the one that woke me up this morning. Got a few things to do in the afternoon so I don't want to linger too long but I wouldn't mind stopping off for a quick pint and a bite to eat at the Bridge afterwards.

book

Post by book »

The rugby final is on at 3pm so I'll be there but dashing off to watch the Rhinos at 1ish

book

Post by book »

It was a good day pulling birch out to allow the growth of heather. Part of the stream was cleared and we took away about 15 bags of rubbish. Some noticeable absentees this morning. About 10 volunteers turned out this morning.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Nothing like a bit of hard work, and the rain held off until well after we'd finished. At one stage it was either me or a particularly large birch stump, and I wasn't going to give up easily. I got a few photos of the day and I'll be putting a website together over the next few days. If anyone's got any stories worth putting up I'll add those as well.