Nestfield Camp, Belle Isle

The green spaces and places of Leeds
beckyox

Post by beckyox »

Has anyone got any information with regards to this camp in Belle Isle. I am taking part in a history project in the area and have heard of the camp but can' t find any information with regards to it. Any information would be gratefully recieved. Becky

jim

Post by jim »

Hi beckyox. Welcome to Secret Leeds. Leeds Schools used to have a site for school camps at Nesfield between Ilkley, Addingham, and Beamsley Beacon. Perhaps this is what you are searching for?    

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

beckyox wrote: Has anyone got any information with regards to this camp in Belle Isle. I am taking part in a history project in the area and have heard of the camp but can' t find any information with regards to it. Any information would be gratefully recieved. Becky I can't speak for Belle Isle but there was a school camp called Nesfield, near Ilkley. It was a kind of army camp for Leeds kids and I spent a great week there in the middle 50's. Hope this is of some use to you. No doubt one of SL's excellent sages will know far more than me on the subject. I look forward to hearing more.    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

tomq

Post by tomq »

There are a number of streets called Nesfield at the 'top' end of Belle Isle but I've no recollection of a Nesfield Camp in that area.
Tom

book

Post by book »

I've always taken the name Belle Isle for granted, never thought of it as being different to most other suburbs but this thread has got me thinking that Belle Isle is a very different name to other suberbs. Anyone know the origin of the name Belle Isle?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

book, see my post 'bout the Canadian on other Belle Isle thread.