The Hollies. Major Harold Brown, DSO MC

The green spaces and places of Leeds
somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Jogon wrote: I first discovered the Hollies properly in the early 80's, game of tennis, a walk or a bike ride.Over the years I have gradually learned more about it and enjoyed more of it, including as a section of the Meanwood Trail from Stairfoot Lane Adel to the Royal Armouries. And back.It has a tragic history but is a wonderful memorial to the lovely young man who's death gave cause to his Father to Gift the house and grounds to Leeds City Council as a Park.I have taken the following information from the web:-Major Harold Brown. Killed in action, aged 39. Born Bournemouth 4th Jan 1879. Home at Kingston Lodge, Leigh Woods, Bristol. He went up to Jesus College, Cambridge where he gained his B.A. While there he enlisted in October 1898 as a Private in the Cambridge University Rifle Volunteers and was commissioned on 21st March 1900.He was promoted to Lt on the 13th June and to Captain on the 28th November of the same year, in which rank he served until his service terminated on the 5th December 1902.He obtained a teaching post at Filey, N Yorks and lived at Linkfield, 61 West Avenue. When War was imminent he re-enlisted on the 14th June 1914 in the local unit of the Territorial Force, the 5th Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment and went with them to France on the 18th April 1915.On the 24th July 1915 he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order and promoted to Captain.On the 6th August he was taken ill with appendicitis and repatriated to the UK, returning to duty abroad on the 4th November 1915.With the 5th Yorks Battn he took part in the 1916 offensive on the Somme and for some action during this time was awarded the Military Cross.On the 16th September 1916, he suffered a gunshot wound to his right foot and damage to his ear from a shell.He was returned again to hospital in the UK and returned to duty on the 23rd November 1916 with his hearing and right foot movement impaired.He was awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm on the 9th December 1916 and mentioned in Despatches on the 29th December 1916.He was again wounded on the 26th April 1917 by gunshots to his head and thigh and spent a month at No 8 Field Hospital, Rouen before being sent back to hospital at Harrogate, N Yorks. Once again he recovered and was sent back to France on the 15th August 1916. He served as Captain and Brevet Major with the 5th Yorks Battn until the 30 December 1917, when he was promoted to Acting Major and appointed as Second in Command of the 4th Yorks Battn.He was killed in action on the 23rd March 1918 and, his body never having been recovered, is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial.A statue of him was placed after the War at the Sledmere Memorial. Major Brown was a friend of Lt. Col Sir Mark Sykes and had founded a school for disabled young men before the war. The last of his four children, Elizabeth, who fondly remembered him, died in America in 2000Major Brown's father presented a house called the Hollies and its gardens [later an old people's home] to Leeds City Council in his Memory.          Very poignant jogon and you'll probably understand by my posting name,a subject very close to my heart.I've read countless books etc about the "Great War" and its tragedies and brave acts of selflessness.This particular person was obviously a very special individual.....sad to hear about his demise after all that he endured.Still,that 4 year period is full of similar stories,most of which would be incredible to the youngsters of today.I just hope that as a nation,and indeed LOCALLY,we do something very fitting to commemorate these brave soldiers,particularly on July 1st,2016.It's not a long way off.We should never forget any battle but that particular day stands out in British military history for all the wrong reasons.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Good Morning SommeFree (postage payable) DVD 'The Battle of the Somme' in tomorro' Saturday Telegraph. It's over six quid on amazon.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Jogon wrote: Good Morning SommeFree (postage payable) DVD 'The Battle of the Somme' in tomorro' Saturday Telegraph. It's over six quid on amazon. Morning Jogon....thanks for the info,very much appreciated.Will whizz round to the old paper seller tomorrow for a copy.(prob end up buying a few extras too for some pals).

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Looks to be a 'send off for' rather than in ithttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61d4vyA1H1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Jogon wrote: Looks to be a 'send off for' rather than in ithttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61d4vyA1H1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg Yes,i did think that with hindsight but no problem.......as long as the "postage" isn't more than £6 eh ???