J30 M62 Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

The green spaces and places of Leeds
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

jdbythesea wrote: Wasn't there some talk about 10 years or so back about Yorkshire CCC moving to a new site at Wakefield (Durker) by the M1? It came to nothing of course. Could that site/area be an option for Trinity?JD There was.....It was....But not now.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

[quotenick="Leodian"] jdbythesea wrote: I think there was also talk a few years back of Leeds United Football Club moving from Elland Road to the Durker area. As has been said LUFC to east Leeds (got nasty that one) and YCC to Durkar untik Caddick got his way?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

raveydavey wrote: I doubt that Trinity have much say in the matter - essentially the 'community rugby stadium' is just a sop by the developers of a much, much larger commercial / industrial complex - a cynic might argue to sway public opinion amongst Wakefieldians who know that their club desperately need a new stadium if they are to retain their Super League place.If you look at the plans it's quite evident and it's a matter of record that the developer has stated that without the rest of the development getting the nod the stadium won't get built. The development was a partnership between Wakey and Yorcourt.Possibly brokered by Sir Rodney Walker.Suits everyone except Rothwell councillors out to show their voters they will fight for them.Not that an industrial estate a few miles away and a rugby match late friday or sunday every two weeks is any great inconvenience.It's an old colliery not countryside and there will be jobs regeneration and a premier footballing club for Wakefield that will attract 5 figure gates. What's not to like?

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

The Parksider wrote: raveydavey wrote: I doubt that Trinity have much say in the matter - essentially the 'community rugby stadium' is just a sop by the developers of a much, much larger commercial / industrial complex - a cynic might argue to sway public opinion amongst Wakefieldians who know that their club desperately need a new stadium if they are to retain their Super League place.If you look at the plans it's quite evident and it's a matter of record that the developer has stated that without the rest of the development getting the nod the stadium won't get built. The development was a partnership between Wakey and Yorcourt.Possibly brokered by Sir Rodney Walker.Suits everyone except Rothwell councillors out to show their voters they will fight for them.Not that an industrial estate a few miles away and a rugby match late friday or sunday every two weeks is any great inconvenience.It's an old colliery not countryside and there will be jobs regeneration and a premier footballing club for Wakefield that will attract 5 figure gates. What's not to like? One of the main reasons Leeds City Council objected was the vociferous support afforded to it by its leader Cllr.Keith Wakefield whose Methley constituency just happens to back on to the bottom part of the proposed site.This was one big factor in taking the decision to Eric Pickles who had the final nod.Who knows what amount of council taxpayers money was thrown into the mix in the legal challenge mounted by LCC(for right or wrong-depends which side of the fence you sit of course).
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !