May 30th, 1840 Roundhay, a pleasant village, about two miles from Leeds.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

The Drogheda Conservative Journal ..by permission of The British Library: 30 May 1840Fatal Mistake.--A Gamekeeper Shot.On Sunday night a most melancholy occurrence happened at Roundhay, near Leeds, by which the life of a fellow creature was sacrificed. Roundhay is a pleasant village, about two miles from Leeds, and occupied almost exclusively by gentlemen of large property, who, within the last few years, have built many splendid mansions there, and during the last fortnight many of these mansions have been beset with burglars who in one or two instances have succeeded in their objects, thereby creating much fear and alarm to others, who have been kept constantly on the watch. Amongst other residents is William Nicholson Nicholson, Esq., a gentleman of large wealth, and a magistrate of the West Riding of York; whose gamekeeper, it appears, had been indulging in too much liquor, and, instead of going about in his masters [sic] grounds, had set himself down upon the steps in front of his master's house, falling asleep, and it is supposed had accidentally jolted his head against the panel of the door. This jolting or knocking attracted the attention of the family, and Mr. Nicholson and his butler, first arming themselves with guns, came out to ascertain the cause. On going round to the front door, they observed a man, to whom Mr. Nicholson called out, and, receiving no answer, he discharged a double barrelled gun at him, the contents of one of the barrels entering his body. This man, who was taken for a robber, turned out to be Mr. Nicholson's own gamekeeper, who, on receiving his master's shot, raised his gun to attack the assailing party, supposing them to be either robbers or poachers, and was just about to fire when he recognised the butler, and of course desisted.The poor fellow was afterwards conveyed into the house, and medical assistance procured, but all the remedies applied proved unavailing, as he died about three o'clock on Tuesday morning, leaving a wife and four small children to lament their irreparable loss. Mr. Nicholson was horror struck on finding out his mistake, and has since been in a state of mind bordering on distraction.     

Caron

Post by Caron »

No way will I try to spell Harry Enfields character....lol.Jogon, my stepdads mother used to keep house for a Lady Lipton in Roundhay but I've never been able to find anything on her. Have you any info please (or anyone else?).

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Caron wrote: No way will I try to spell Harry Enfields character....lol.Jogon, my stepdads mother used to keep house for a Lady Lipton in Roundhay but I've never been able to find anything on her. Have you any info please (or anyone else?). Not Lupton is it by any chance?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The gamekeeper is buried in St Johns Church Yard off Wetherby Rd.It is so overgrown there I doubt you can get round any more. Good luck if you try anyone, it's years since I saw it.

Caron

Post by Caron »

LS1 wrote: Caron wrote: No way will I try to spell Harry Enfields character....lol.Jogon, my stepdads mother used to keep house for a Lady Lipton in Roundhay but I've never been able to find anything on her. Have you any info please (or anyone else?). Not Lupton is it by any chance? Ahh..now that I do not know. I'll try Lupton and see what comes up. Thanks very much!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Caron wrote: LS1 wrote: Caron wrote: No way will I try to spell Harry Enfields character....lol.Jogon, my stepdads mother used to keep house for a Lady Lipton in Roundhay but I've never been able to find anything on her. Have you any info please (or anyone else?). Not Lupton is it by any chance? Ahh..now that I do not know. I'll try Lupton and see what comes up. Thanks very much! Luptons connected to Kate Middleton methinks
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Caron

Post by Caron »

Thanks to all and yes,cnosni, the Luptons are connected to the Middletons. I've had to drag myself away. I've read enough, very interesting though.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

cnosni wrote: Caron wrote: LS1 wrote: Caron wrote: No way will I try to spell Harry Enfields character....lol.Jogon, my stepdads mother used to keep house for a Lady Lipton in Roundhay but I've never been able to find anything on her. Have you any info please (or anyone else?). Not Lupton is it by any chance? Ahh..now that I do not know. I'll try Lupton and see what comes up. Thanks very much! Luptons connected to Kate Middleton methinks Indeed - Caron might be connected to royalty!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Caron

Post by Caron »

raveydavey wrote: cnosni wrote: Caron wrote: LS1 wrote: Caron wrote: No way will I try to spell Harry Enfields character....lol.Jogon, my stepdads mother used to keep house for a Lady Lipton in Roundhay but I've never been able to find anything on her. Have you any info please (or anyone else?). Not Lupton is it by any chance? Ahh..now that I do not know. I'll try Lupton and see what comes up. Thanks very much! Luptons connected to Kate Middleton methinks Indeed - Caron might be connected to royalty! My stepnan was probably Lady Lupton's maid. She also worked at Roundhay Mansion but I have no idea what doing. When she left Lady Lupton to start a family she was bought a beautiful silver/glass perfume bottle. I always admired it but sadly my granddad let the handyman have it for £5.... He was beginning with dementia back then, I shall never get over the handyman's handiness but the world is full of unscrupulous people.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cnosni wrote: Caron wrote: LS1 wrote: Caron wrote: No way will I try to spell Harry Enfields character....lol.Jogon, my stepdads mother used to keep house for a Lady Lipton in Roundhay but I've never been able to find anything on her. Have you any info please (or anyone else?). Not Lupton is it by any chance? Ahh..now that I do not know. I'll try Lupton and see what comes up. Thanks very much! Luptons connected to Kate Middleton methinks Covered in passing in threads on Asket Hall and others related to the area Chris.