Was this a drinking fountain at Roundhay Park?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Leodian wrote: I've tried looking for information and/or images of that probable drinking fountain but have not found any. This photo (taken February 28 2012) has the Mansion and may better show the location of the fountain remains. Going by the angle of this photo, I suggest that the fountain was covered by the "purple/brown" tree near the centre of this view on Bing Maps:http://binged.it/xqvCsX

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

tasaBing image quite good, nice shot of former Phoenix Bar.Think I do now recall a drinking fountain here, not to be confused with the bigger, older 'mausoleum' stone-roofed one lower down by the big lake.    

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Jogon wrote: tasaBing image quite good, nice shot of former Phoenix Bar.Think I do now recall a drinking fountain here, not to be confused with the bigger, older 'mausoleum' stone-roofed one lower down by the big lake.     The Phoenix Bar? Is that what the name of the bar / disco was at the back of the mansion? I remember going there a couple of times in the mid-seventies, but could never remember the name.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

It's a sad indictment of our society that water fountains, once so common, are virtually extinct in this country.I can only imagine it's down to el-fan-safe-tee, although they seem to survive in other countries fairly well.I can just about remember using them as a kid and I'm fairly sure no-one ever died...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Tasa wrote: Leodian wrote: I've tried looking for information and/or images of that probable drinking fountain but have not found any. This photo (taken February 28 2012) has the Mansion and may better show the location of the fountain remains. Going by the angle of this photo, I suggest that the fountain was covered by the "purple/brown" tree near the centre of this view on Bing Maps:http://binged.it/xqvCsX Thanks Tasa. That does look like the spot and the large tree could account for the drinking fountain to be at least not readily seen.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: It's a sad indictment of our society that water fountains, once so common, are virtually extinct in this country.I can only imagine it's down to el-fan-safe-tee, although they seem to survive in other countries fairly well.I can just about remember using them as a kid and I'm fairly sure no-one ever died... In some information on the ornate Barrans's drinking fountain in Roundhay Park that I've just seen it stated "The fountain is a Grade II listed building. Originally it was supplied directly from Eccup Reservoir and each of the twenty taps had a bronze drinking cup attached on a chain. The fountain deteriorated over the years but was restored in 2004. Unfortunately it no longer provides water". That it was originally supplied directly from Eccup Reservoir was a surprise to me. A few miles of pipeline would have been needed. I wonder what route it took and is the piping still there?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I'll have a look on the works mapping system, outside chance that there's anything.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

zip55 wrote: Jogon wrote: tasa Phoenix Bar. The Phoenix Bar? Is that what the name of the bar / disco was at the back of the mansion? I remember going there a couple of times in the mid-seventies, but could never remember the name. Yeah that's it just viz in tasa's bing right front of parkside. I too used to visit mid 70's. Pleasant spot and summer's eve could sit outside.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Cardiarms wrote: I'll have a look on the works mapping system, outside chance that there's anything. The Moortown Aqueduct.....

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Given that Leeds had mains water from sometime before the Fountain's arrival, could it simply mean drinking water supply derived from Eccup rather than a direct link?