The wrong sort of "Secret" Leeds...

The green spaces and places of Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

We visited Golden Acre park this morning, to walk our dog.On arrival at about 9.30am we were surprised to find the Arthington Road car park nearly full, with a chap in a hi-viz vest wandering about, despite not seeming to be doing much directing of vehicles.On getting parked up it became apparent that there was some type of running event on with the start / finish and registration all adjacent to the car park, which set me to wondering why these types of events are so rarely publicised outside the realms of those who are likely to be attending anyway?I've heard / seen nothing about this event and there appears to be nothing on the council website about it. Presumably permission had been obtained in advance from the council to use the park, so why don't the powers that be publicise these events on their website? The point is that if people are informed about these events they can make a choice - has we known about this event, we'd have gone somewhere else. Conversely, someone else might have heard about it and decided to go along and support those taking part.As it was we enjoyed our walk and the main event only just seemed to be getting underway when we left an hour later. However there was chaos in the car park, with vehicles parked / abandoned everywhere, including on the narrow access meaning it was a tricky job to get out and when we did we found cars parked on both sides of Arthington Road, all the way from King Lane up to Kings Road - had some sort of emergency happened in the park I'm not sure how the emergency services would have gone on for access. The car park marshal we'd seen earlier was now nowhere to be seen.Surely it would make sense not to keep these events "secret" for all concerned?    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

As is usual on here, someone knows what's going on - it was round 4 of the PECO XC league.http://www.pecoxc.co.uk/pages/race4.html'Beast', & myself from here knew about itI'll go along with you that they're not really advertised as such*, if only to advise other users of the parks where they're held.It was the same at the previous events**Race 1; 27th November @ Fitzwilliam Country Park Race 2; 18th December @ Middleton Park/Woods Race 3; 15th January @ Temple Newsam (Avenue Woods side)I was hoping to run this event, despite only returning from the USA yesterday morning, but..... a knee ligament problem (presumably) picked up after a fall at the Temple Newsam race has been causing me problems (I ran all three of them)*They're 'closed events', as in you've got to be a member of one of the league clubs, so on the other hand, the organisers don't want the odd Sunday jogger/runner turning up & wanting to run**There was the same problem at the Northern Cross-Counrt y Championships in Pontefract Park a few weeks ago.National level athletes (even Internationals running) & I didn't see any advanced notice of it in the 'Yorkshire Post', or 'Wakefield Express'    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

RichT wrote: As is usual on here, someone knows what's going on - it was round 4 of the PECO XC league.http://www.pecoxc.co.uk/pages/race4.html'Beast', & myself from here knew about itI'll go along with you that they're not really advertised as such*, if only to advise other users of the parks where they're held.It was the same at the previous events**Race 1; 27th November @ Fitzwilliam Country Park Race 2; 18th December @ Middleton Park/Woods Race 3; 15th January @ Temple Newsam (Avenue Woods side)I was hoping to run this event, despite only returning from the USA yesterday morning, but..... a knee ligament problem (presumably) picked up after a fall at the Temple Newsam race has been causing me problems (I ran all three of them)*They're 'closed events', as in you've got to be a member of one of the league clubs, so on the other hand, the organisers don't want the odd Sunday jogger/runner turning up & wanting to run**There was the same problem at the Northern Cross-Counrt y Championships in Pontefract Park a few weeks ago.National level athletes (even Internationals running) & I didn't see any advanced notice of it in the 'Yorkshire Post', or 'Wakefield Express'     It always seems to be a shortcoming in Leeds Rich, that anything which will cause disruption is so often not made known until the last minute and then, if at all, with sufficient detail to allow one to make an informe decision about where to go - or not.One worthy annual event a few years back was advertised but omitted to indicate that even access to a particular part of town would not be possible (or more correctly, not permitted!). This caused considerable problems for my employer and those expecting to carry out there duties that weekend.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I do remember a SL post warning of this on a Golden Acre/Trains of/road from Adel Willows/Adel Beck etc-type thread.Not everyones cup o tea so probs missed. Nice day for it.. Even more exciting to mountain bike through to Adel Woods, by Scotland Mill, meanwood, city centre and coffee + cake at Royal Armouries.Or sit indoors & try and fix this printer.    

Richard A Thackeray

Jogon wrote: I do remember a SL post warning of this on a Golden Acre/Trains of/road from Adel Willows/Adel Beck etc-type thread.Not everyones cup o tea so probs missed. Nice day for it.. Yep, t'was me......http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... essage=25I also forewarned about the Middleton Park event, but with being away for the last fortnight, I failed in my duty this time........ <disgraced> Jogon wrote: Even more exciting to mountain bike through to Adel Woods, by Scotland Mill, meanwood, city centre and coffee + cake at Royal Armouries. Not ridden in those parts of Leeds for ages, I reckon it's almost 15 years at the very least sinec I was up there on the MTB I owned at the time (Pace Research RC100)

Richard A Thackeray

chameleon wrote: One worthy annual event a few years back was advertised but omitted to indicate that even access to a particular part of town would not be possible (or more correctly, not permitted!). This caused considerable problems for my employer and those expecting to carry out there duties that weekend. It was the same back in 1992 when the World Cyclo-Cross Championships* were held in Roundhay Park, when fans from almost every nation in Europe )& beyond) attended.Around Roundhay/Oakwood, placards were up, but in the city-centre; nothing!We rode up to watch it, & were asked in various accents for bus/train!/tram!!!!! information on how to get to the ParkApparantly, the Railway station staff/various Police didn't know aboout it * A very good year for us as Roger Hammond won the Junior title

beast

Post by beast »

there was a notice placed ,surprisingly, on the notice board in the Arthington Road car park about the event which had,I believe, been there a couple of week.Too many dogs in that park anyway ,and yes we do have to get a race permit from the council for insurance purposes.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

beast..too many dogs... and (picture didn't load)the cathttp://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2768213

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Jogon wrote: I do remember a SL post warning of this on a Golden Acre/Trains of/road from Adel Willows/Adel Beck etc-type thread.Not everyones cup o tea so probs missed. Nice day for it.. Even more exciting to mountain bike through to Adel Woods, by Scotland Mill, meanwood, city centre and coffee + cake at Royal Armouries.Or sit indoors & try and fix this printer.     Thats a good route that, if a little busy due to peds in places but seeing as technically its not a cycleway (but is used as one) then its a good run if you dont mind sharing the path. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meanwood_Valley_TrailIf anyone wants a longer route, starting still at Woodhouse you follow the route as far as King Lane then instead of going left to GA Park go straight across and follow the route to Eccup Reservoir. Go around the water anti-clockwise then you can follow another route (Leed country Way) north past the Emmerdale set and eventually into the grounds of harewood house.I havent been further than that as I normally turn and follow Harrogate Road onto Meanwood Road back to start.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

wiggy thanksWill you put it on here please, this might collate some good routes:-http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1