Woodhouse ridge steps

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Oliver Cross, in his YEP column of 13th Jan, wrote:"And, very much on my doorstep, there’s Woodhouse Ridge, a steep Leeds woodland squeezed between Meanwood and Headingley and punctuated by weathered stone structures, including steps that lead nowhere and a bandstand which enthusiasts hope to rebuild."What steps would he be referring to and, assuming that nobody ever built steps simply for the sheer fun of building steps, what would they have led to/from when they were built?Full article can be read here:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/l ... _1_4136332
The older I get, the better I was.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I think it means those ending on Meanwood Rd oppo Back Ridge View. These follow a natural 'people route'/Mtbike trail going either up the oppo valley side to Potternewton Ln (a surprisingly quick route Headingley>Chapel Allerton).Or foot/bike to the sustrans Alwoodley>Leeds via Meanwood Farm.I think in days gone by the Bandstand, woods and steps were THE weekend walk. Lot less tree cover then too.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Uncle Mick, I don't know if those are the steps; apologies if my original post reads like a quiz question which I know the answer to, it wasn't intended that way. I was just wondering what Mr Cross was talking about, given that most things are built with a purpose in mind.
The older I get, the better I was.

BJF

Post by BJF »

I think it will be these, in a litle glade around about the back of Hartley Avenue/ Melville Place
Attachments
__TFMF_xhkydf552thxvaii3xt4w3i3_5c7c1095-4c96-4022-b342-1e851b8df5a5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_xhkydf552thxvaii3xt4w3i3_5c7c1095-4c96-4022-b342-1e851b8df5a5_0_main.jpg (736.68 KiB) Viewed 3378 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

A coincidence that this should crop up just now - while leaving the Meanwood Road tip on Sunday afternoon (they wouldn't accept me ) and turning right I noticed for the first time in my life some wide but well worn and overgrown steps leading upwards from the road - adjacent to the fields after the last housing before the former Yorkshire Switchgear place.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.