The Lemi

The green spaces and places of Leeds
simonm

Post by simonm »

So have I, but I used the term Snicket cos he did and if I put summat different he may have wondered what I was on about!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Fair comment
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Jailhouse John

Post by Jailhouse John »

arry awk wrote: OK JJ!Thanks 4 that.Had another skeg at that bit and I think now, that Turnkey Park is the name of a single street off Royds Lane. Across the lane is Royds Close ,another single street, alongside Wortley Beck.(I told you,this A-Z is dated 1966!)Do you remember the 'Ups and Downs' on the corner of Gelderd Rd-Ring Rd? Just across from the Wheatsheaf pub! It was a grand Safe(ish) place to do stunts on your bike, being careful not to slide into the stagnant pools at the bottom of each circular cinder track!I think the Electricity Board built on it and spoiled a smashing Free Leisure Park and cycle tester! My Wigfall's Royal stood up well,even to getting dunked in the pondweed along with ME!It was so quiet in those days,that area (until our 'Tour de Tusky fields' team arrived!)Amazing the things that come back to you in a website like this one!Happy memories!Talking of TocH Lamps-guess you were in the mob at one time?CheersArry Not in any mob 'Arry but I remember going on the 'Ups and Downs' well enough although I was banned taking my new bike on there. It was not on the corner by the Wheatsheaf as that was our hay field but further over nearer where Elland Rd comes out on to the Ring Rd almost opposite the Crem. Royds Lane crosses Wortley Beck just before it gets to Whitehall rd and certainly no parks there just Taylor Rustless and a steam laundry where we took our dry cleaning as a kid. I am intigued now
JJFROM ER TO ETERNITY

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Do you know,the wife and I went to the White Rose Centre(38 bus)a couple of weeks back and I was bamboozled at the developmentsaround the ring road and Gelderd and Whitehall Roads!Coming from town, the Wheatsheaf was across the Gelderd crossing over on the right.Behind it was a farm(Highfield) plus some old factory that looked like either a brickworks or colliery.That also had spoil tips which made a mini 'Ups and downs' but we always got chased off cos they said it was dangerous! I'm talking1945/6 now of course!Didn't Royds Lane start on Gelderd Rd behind the Wheatsheaf?The main Upsndowns were at the Ring road and Gelderd Rd crossroads where the Cegb?YEB?is. Looks like they put a roundabout there now!Hope this info makes sense today! Turnkey Park certainly doesn't look like a park on closer look at the A-Z. Just a short street in a triangle of land containing some 'wks' (works).If I was bamboozled to start off,I bet you are moreso now!Sorry Cheers, Arry

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Welcome to the forum, JJ! Tis I, Twiggs - and 'Arry'Awk is me dad! :-)Have you told Tony about this site yet? Been meaning to contact you both about it, but just reading all the stuff on here has taken up most of my spare time, since I discovered it!Looking forrad to you racking yer memory in public, on here! :-)Best to you and yours JJ - and don't forget MOT, eh? ;-)
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

I would normally refer to them as Ginnel's myself not sure why I called it a 'snicket', probably because my other half tends to use that word along with '8 foot'or 'gennel'!!!:-)

Jailhouse John

Post by Jailhouse John »

arry awk wrote: Do you know,the wife and I went to the White Rose Centre(38 bus)a couple of weeks back and I was bamboozled at the developmentsaround the ring road and Gelderd and Whitehall Roads!Coming from town, the Wheatsheaf was across the Gelderd crossing over on the right.Behind it was a farm(Highfield) plus some old factory that looked like either a brickworks or colliery.That also had spoil tips which made a mini 'Ups and downs' but we always got chased off cos they said it was dangerous! I'm talking1945/6 now of course!Didn't Royds Lane start on Gelderd Rd behind the Wheatsheaf?The main Upsndowns were at the Ring road and Gelderd Rd crossroads where the Cegb?YEB?is. Looks like they put a roundabout there now!Hope this info makes sense today! Turnkey Park certainly doesn't look like a park on closer look at the A-Z. Just a short street in a triangle of land containing some 'wks' (works).If I was bamboozled to start off,I bet you are moreso now!Sorry Cheers, Arry 'Arry 'Awk. Well Highfield Farm is (was) our family farm and my Grandad and Grandma farmed there before my Mum and Dad (with me and our kid) moved to it from New Farnley in about 1960. You got chased off the 'mini ups and downs' because they were formed from carbide (lime) which was tipped there by my Dad. It was a waste product from acyteline production at British Oxygen and inded it would have been dangerous if got in your eyes. We would never have been allowed to tip it now because of Health and Safety but that lime was to prove the basis of our family fortunes for many years as my Dad found customers for it all over Yorkshire. Twiggs sent me a Leodis aerial shot which I use as a screen backdrop of this whole area from which you can see The 'Sheaf, ER and our farm with the lime tips clearly visible.Royds Lane did start from the Sheaf (I think originally it might have started at Elland Rd but was over layed by Leeds Ring Rd in the '30's). It ran past our farm , thru the long dark scary tunnel under the railway banking, past the turn up to Farnley Sheds, through the Royds 'village'- opposite where Makro is now - across the Ring Road and up the side of Taylor Rustless to Whitehall Rd. I can assure that the aerial shot I have shows the Main Ups and Downs opposite where the Crem is now about 400 yards past our hay field (where YEB built in the late 60's) where Elland Rd meets the Ring Rd.The old factory above Highfirld Farm wasnt a brickworks it was a coal mine for Leeds Fireclay and the site was tipped on by thousands of tons of bricks presumably from war bomb damage during and after WW 2. The mine workings flooded badly and they ran under the field at the back of the Sheaf. My Dad could 'dowse' the course of the floods under our fields.
JJFROM ER TO ETERNITY

Jailhouse John

Post by Jailhouse John »

Scandy Bramley wrote: Welcome to the forum, JJ! Tis I, Twiggs - and 'Arry'Awk is me dad! :-)Have you told Tony about this site yet? Been meaning to contact you both about it, but just reading all the stuff on here has taken up most of my spare time, since I discovered it!Looking forrad to you racking yer memory in public, on here! :-)Best to you and yours JJ - and don't forget MOT, eh? ;-) Twiggs - MOT kept chucking me out and not remembering my password until I got fed up - I keep watching but not posting. I will tell Tony about the site - I am sure he will love it
JJFROM ER TO ETERNITY

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Brilliant account JJ! Thanks a lot for all that info.You have to remember, It was a far different area in the late 40'sand I was away in the airforce for 9 yrs(!) and 'settled? down South(!!!!!) after demob until returning to Leeds again in '66.I guessed it was either a coal mine or brickworks, didn't I?also, you have 'placed' the main U&Ds just where I tried to describe em!. Actually we never realised about the lime factor and we did spend a fair time on those tracks till chased off! (Probably by ure Pop!). The lime didn't seem to affect the wild life in those pools between the tracks. We caught newts and sticklebacks and redbreasts I'm sure. Didn't take 'em home,tho' as you can't really ride a bike all the way back to Burley Rd.carrying jamjars!Grand Memories JJ!Cheers Arry Awk

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi agen JJIs there any way you can fwd me that aerial shot of the area?I can't get Google earth downloads on 'Windas' Millennium,I'm afraid. Hope to get a new rig before long tho' but twould be niceto see the view you describe.Did you yourself have dealings with Leeds Fireclay? I think they had places on Elland Rd and Dewsbury Road?Memories of my Dad mentioning that some of our ancestors were part of the Organisation! Might be an unclaimed legacy kicking around somewhere!(not!)All for now Cheers Arry